the military diet

Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Just a big no. Why not just try CICO? It's tried and proven to work for anyone.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    I've seen more posts about the military diet in the last week than I have in the entire time I've been on MFP. Yes, I've tried the military diet. Twice. Gained the weight back both times. It's not sustainable. At all. It's miserable & low calorie.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    I don't know what cico is?
  • elphie754
    Calories in vs calories out. Meaning eating less than you burn.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Why not try something sustainable?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Step one, start tracking what you normally eat. Step two, start cutting back (an easy place to start is to try for the goal MFP sets).
  • gypsychic33
    Three days of structured diet followed by four days of healthy eating doesn't seem crazy to me, is it? The site I read said you can repeat as often as you want, with that pattern..?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Three days of structured diet followed by four days of healthy eating doesn't seem crazy to me, is it? The site I read said you can repeat as often as you want, with that pattern..?
    look up all the former posts on this and you will see people over and over say that "every time I do it I lose". As aforementioned, why not try something sustainable?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member

It's all a gimmick, a distraction from what really works.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Honestly I don't see anything outrageous about it? Day 1 is 1400 calories, day 2, 1300, day 3 1200, then 1500 for four days, repeat.

I mean, the menu is really boring, and super restrictive for those three days, but it's not really a starvation or juicing diet. They do make outrageous claims and seem to be anti-sugar, but eh.

I'd rather eat food I enjoy, within my goals and continue to lose weight - but hey, whatever works for you.
  • gypsychic33
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Thanks for the responses so far!
  • elphie754
    Okay, see you back here in a few weeks when you gain in all back.
  • gypsychic33
    elphie754 wrote: »

Sorry, but no reason to be rude...
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member

Not really rude, it's just what happens over and over again. Why not make your own structure then. Plan out your meals for the week or something.
  • elphie754

I see no reason to sugar coat a plan that will likely fail. I don't sugar things- ever.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I just looked it up and it does not sound sustainable. Big claims are made, none of which are sustainable in the long run.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

I don't think it's rude, I think it's truthfully blunt.

People who go on unsustainable generally gain weight back. That's what makes them unsustainable.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I starved, I lost weight, gained it back on the fourth day eating healthy. I had a lot of headaches with it. Didn't like it at all to try it again.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Military diet ? Need structure ? Join the marines , they will keep you motivated and you will lose weight plus get your fitness on. Ooh rah !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Or you could commit to eating less than you burn for a decent amount of time and moving more

Or is that not enough structure for you?

Because I am sure all of us previously unsuccessful dieters recognise the "figure I will give it a try", "oh well" and "probably" attitude coupled with a desire for a quick fix.

That is what doesn't work, that is what keeps you on the hamster wheel.

Step off it and commit

Or keep your extra 15lbs

• mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

People who go on unsustainable generally gain weight back. That's what makes them unsustainable.

It was rude, for structure I'd say "watch your MFP and don't go beyond the limit, a lot of people here can give you a list of healthy tasty foods". But if you want to do the military diet all the more power to you something is always better than nothing (sometimes you have to fail to succeed and who knows you may just succeed!). Looking at those calorie measurements this still seems like CICO but with a structured set of food around it so it uses the same underlying premise. But you have to stick with it, for life or as was pointed out, you will gain it back.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I've seen more posts about the military diet in the last week than I have in the entire time I've been on MFP. Yes, I've tried the military diet. Twice. Gained the weight back both times. It's not sustainable. At all. It's miserable & low calorie.

I noticed that sudden rise in threads about this too. Was it on Dr. Oz or something?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

See, you're gonna lose on that diet, sure. But unless you adjust your normal eating for after you're done you're just gonna gain it back eventually.
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It was rude, for structure I'd say "watch your MFP and don't go beyond the limit, a lot of people here can give you a list of healthy tasty foods". But if you want to do the military diet all the more power to you something is always better than nothing (sometimes you have to fail to succeed and who knows you may just succeed!). Looking at those calorie measurements this still seems like CICO but with a structured set of food around it so it uses the same underlying premise. But you have to stick with it, for life or as was pointed out, you will gain it back.

Well you may say it that way but others wouldn't and that's based on their experiences and knowledge

Blunt is not equal to rude

Quips are not equal to rude

Sanctimonious admonitions however are rude
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2015
    It wasn't blunt, it was rude. A person came in looking for advice, told you what they need in their life and wanted to see all avenues. In response he was told "If you don't follow my way you will absolutely fail". While we can assume this, it was none the less quite douchey.

Blunt (in this case) simply means you know without a shadow of a doubt that this person will fail. Tell me, the base premise is scientifically sound (its still low calorie), they might like the food, how can you say this? Because it's not your way? Some people are okay with routine day after day.

Unless blunt has taken on a new meaning, then I can make a few blunt statements that might also cross the line between "insult" and "might be true".
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    This diet is a short term fix. U will lose.. then gain it back...then do it again...and gain it back. I have been there. I have friends who have been there. This is the truth. As I said in the last thread great for if u have an event and cant quite get ur dress on and need to drop a quick 5lb... otherwise...
  • Sued0nim
    One of the mods just advised someone to read everything in a Kermit the Frog voice because it's your perception that colours things rude

Best. Advice. Evah
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just don't see the point of having foods picked for you because I'd hate that.

On the larger issue of sustainability, that's where it really fails. It will work because it restricts calories. It might teach something about portion size, but by selecting foods it doesn't necessarily give new habits a chance to form since foods aren't being self-selected. I do see they are including things like ice cream, so that's pretty cool, but again... I don't think it's going to lead to the kind of behavioral change needed for sustainable loss.
  • gypsychic33
    Actually they have substitutes for foods if you don't like them/can't eat them or what not. I will be substituting for cottage cheese, because I absolutely can't stand the taste or texture,I just simply cannot eat it.

I've decided to try it! I'm going to do it M,T,W and then eat healthy the rest of the week. I'm going to do it for 3 weeks and see where I'm at.

My overall plan it to eat healthier, so I'm not freaking out over losing with this and then gaining it back from eating the way I have been. Thanks for all the help so far!
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

When I was in the military, the diet consisted of eating around 3000 calories a day and exercising/training non-stop 4am-7pm. Other than doing that in basic training for military, I dont understand why people would want to voluntarily do it.