the military diet

Options

Replies

• mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Okay, see you back here in a few weeks when you gain in all back.

Sorry, but no reason to be rude...

I don't think it's rude, I think it's truthfully blunt.

People who go on unsustainable generally gain weight back. That's what makes them unsustainable.

It was rude, for structure I'd say "watch your MFP and don't go beyond the limit, a lot of people here can give you a list of healthy tasty foods". But if you want to do the military diet all the more power to you something is always better than nothing (sometimes you have to fail to succeed and who knows you may just succeed!). Looking at those calorie measurements this still seems like CICO but with a structured set of food around it so it uses the same underlying premise. But you have to stick with it, for life or as was pointed out, you will gain it back.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I've seen more posts about the military diet in the last week than I have in the entire time I've been on MFP. Yes, I've tried the military diet. Twice. Gained the weight back both times. It's not sustainable. At all. It's miserable & low calorie.

I noticed that sudden rise in threads about this too. Was it on Dr. Oz or something?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Thanks for the responses so far!

See, you're gonna lose on that diet, sure. But unless you adjust your normal eating for after you're done you're just gonna gain it back eventually.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »

People who go on unsustainable generally gain weight back. That's what makes them unsustainable.

It was rude, for structure I'd say "watch your MFP and don't go beyond the limit, a lot of people here can give you a list of healthy tasty foods". But if you want to do the military diet all the more power to you something is always better than nothing (sometimes you have to fail to succeed and who knows you may just succeed!). Looking at those calorie measurements this still seems like CICO but with a structured set of food around it so it uses the same underlying premise. But you have to stick with it, for life or as was pointed out, you will gain it back.

Well you may say it that way but others wouldn't and that's based on their experiences and knowledge

Blunt is not equal to rude

Quips are not equal to rude

Sanctimonious admonitions however are rude
  • mrsmiley32
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It wasn't blunt, it was rude. A person came in looking for advice, told you what they need in their life and wanted to see all avenues. In response he was told "If you don't follow my way you will absolutely fail". While we can assume this, it was none the less quite douchey.

Blunt (in this case) simply means you know without a shadow of a doubt that this person will fail. Tell me, the base premise is scientifically sound (its still low calorie), they might like the food, how can you say this? Because it's not your way? Some people are okay with routine day after day.

Unless blunt has taken on a new meaning, then I can make a few blunt statements that might also cross the line between "insult" and "might be true".
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    This diet is a short term fix. U will lose.. then gain it back...then do it again...and gain it back. I have been there. I have friends who have been there. This is the truth. As I said in the last thread great for if u have an event and cant quite get ur dress on and need to drop a quick 5lb... otherwise...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    One of the mods just advised someone to read everything in a Kermit the Frog voice because it's your perception that colours things rude

Best. Advice. Evah
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just don't see the point of having foods picked for you because I'd hate that.

On the larger issue of sustainability, that's where it really fails. It will work because it restricts calories. It might teach something about portion size, but by selecting foods it doesn't necessarily give new habits a chance to form since foods aren't being self-selected. I do see they are including things like ice cream, so that's pretty cool, but again... I don't think it's going to lead to the kind of behavioral change needed for sustainable loss.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Actually they have substitutes for foods if you don't like them/can't eat them or what not. I will be substituting for cottage cheese, because I absolutely can't stand the taste or texture,I just simply cannot eat it.

I've decided to try it! I'm going to do it M,T,W and then eat healthy the rest of the week. I'm going to do it for 3 weeks and see where I'm at.

My overall plan it to eat healthier, so I'm not freaking out over losing with this and then gaining it back from eating the way I have been. Thanks for all the help so far!
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

When I was in the military, the diet consisted of eating around 3000 calories a day and exercising/training non-stop 4am-7pm. Other than doing that in basic training for military, I dont understand why people would want to voluntarily do it.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Military diet is just the popular name for it right now, it's also been called the three day diet. It has nothing to do with wanting to be in the military! ! ! =P
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    Actually they have substitutes for foods if you don't like them/can't eat them or what not. I will be substituting for cottage cheese, because I absolutely can't stand the taste or texture,I just simply cannot eat it.

I've decided to try it! I'm going to do it M,T,W and then eat healthy the rest of the week. I'm going to do it for 3 weeks and see where I'm at.

My overall plan it to eat healthier, so I'm not freaking out over losing with this and then gaining it back from eating the way I have been. Thanks for all the help so far!

I shoulda kept my big mouth shut...

Just remember, CICO. It's proven (not a fad, it's what far smarter people than me with fancy degrees have researched and proven true) so even on your three cheat days make sure you average under for the week. How you eat and what you eat matters farrrrrrrrr less than how much you eat and if this isn't a permanent lifestyle change to a lower calorie system you will gain it back (and likely more). I've done fad diets, hell I bet most of us looking to lose weight have and it always comes back to CICO.

But sometimes we have to learn the hard way so I wish you best of luck.

Then again, what this sounds like is nothing terribly different than what I do. M-F I eat ~1500 calories, Saturday (because I'm on the road and fast food is an option or because I hit the bar) ~2800 calories, Sunday ~2100 calories. After exercise I usually end up about 1000cal under my goal or so (which is a daily -1000calories). This is how I plan to eat for basically ever so I will level out and hit a maintenance level when I hit around 170lbs (on this diet).

Good luck, keep on truckin' and log. Once it becomes routine it's easy to watch your weekly avg intake so that you know how much cheat you can have on your "cheat days".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I honestly believe that someone a couple decades ago decided to make up the stupidest diet they could and see how many people they could sucker with it, and even THEY open their Pintrest page today and can't believe this idiotic "diet" is still getting cred.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    I don't really consider the other four days cheat days,I don't think that way of thinking would be successful at all.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You're determined to do this fad diet, and that's what it is. It's just a means of restricting calories for a few days.

You're missing the larger point... what happens to you once the weight is off?

What has eating this way taught you to KEEP the weight off?

Not a whole lot, that's what.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand the point of stuff like this. But other than the veggies and the cottage cheese (and a couple other things) I dislike most of the food options, so it would be a super depressing 3 days, even if I didn't already object to the whole concept of being told what to eat, as if there were some special magic to the combination of saltines and whatever. It doesn't seem as bad as some things, like that idiotic GM diet that was all over here a few weeks ago.

I am always intrigued when some fad diet starts appearing all over the forums like this, though. It must have been on some show or blogged about somewhere.
  • philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    "Military Diet" -- what a joke.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »

So in your opinion, being honest is being rude. Again, we see it over and over that people lose, yes, but gain it back, thus the "every time I do it, I lose".
    3s4zavg5osgo.jpeg
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure OP had already decided to do this diet before anyone even responded seeing as NO ONE was supportive. Guess everyone must walk theyre own path. Many of us here have been there done that and honestly u know whats worse than being overweight? To lose it then gain it right back. Now thats disheartening
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    You can substitute foods if you don't like something......

Sorry guys, but where did I say I was going to do this and go back to unhealthy eating? I don't even eat that bad,I was just injured and couldn't exercise how I normally do for a couple months, which led to some lethargy on my part. I don't mean to sound like a crab....

I Think this plan helps with portion size and good combos of food to put together.