What do you wish you had known..

terizius
terizius Posts: 425 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
...before your started your journey? What one piece of advice would have made things easier for you?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    That "healthy" foods are just stupid. It has been much cheaper and more enjoyable eating what I want while hitting my macro targets.
  • terizius
    IIFYM, huh?
  • COLTMUSCLE97
    COLTMUSCLE97 Posts: 224 Member
    I wish I had known about MFP last year
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    1. clothing expenses stack up quickly when you go down multiple sizes in less than a year. actually the fact that I went down from 4X to M in less than a year is something I didn't think possible.
    2. green smoothies actually tastes good
    3. MFP's very existence
    4. between prepping, cooking and cleaning there's so much work preparing your own meals instead of buying it somewhere else
    5. it's harder to get healthy when you're on a tight budget because prices of processed food in america is way cheaper and easier to get than healthier options
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Healthy foods require portion control too. :smile: Being a little bit hungry is ok too :smile: Accept help when it comes your way :smile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    That I could have started a lot earlier on MFP if had known about it and that you can eat more then 1200 calories and still lose weight!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Whatever you think your body will look like once you lose a few pounds is WRONG!

I also agree with egorre, clothing expenses rack up fast and yes processed food is much cheaper than minimally processed food - shame on us :)

• cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    1. It's a long process. The weight didn't go on over night, so you need to accept it won't come off over night.
    2. You need to have patience with yourself: Some weeks the scale won't move, no matter how hard you workout or how "right" you eat...Some days you will go over on your calories...it's okay. Just log it and move on!
    3. You will get frustrated when you're in between sizes. Don't let it discourage or upset you. Just keep working hard to get to that next size! You will get there.
    4. You're going to feel different, not only physically...but emotionally and mentally. You're going to feel strong inside and out.
    5. This is worth it. You are worth it. You're going to be tired...hungry...agitated...happy...you name it. You are going to experience a rollercoaster of emotions. Let yourself feel those emotions. Lean on others for support, like these threads...your husband, your friends.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: You CAN do this! Don't give up!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I wish I had known that the portion sizes I was eating before really were triple what I should have been eating.. Still can't get used to a 3/4 cup of Dark Chocolate Cheerios really is that small... LOL
  • beastelyse
    beastelyse Posts: 6 Member
    It's okay if something that works for others doesn't work for you (e.g., quest bars = weight gain for me). Just pay attention to what your body needs, be kind to yourself, and move forward! :)
  • terizius
    edited April 2015
    All good things.. Thank you. Anyone else?
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    <3 Don't starve yourself, don't use diet shakes(not to be confused with protein shakes once or twice a day) and don't take "magic" weight loss pills. You wont develop good eating habits.
    <3 If you cant give up a food for the rest of your life, don't give it up now. Just eat it in moderation.
    <3 Don't eat under 1200 calories a day.
    <3 Exercise. Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.
    <3 Use an HRM because MFP and machine estimates are very far off. It really sucks because I know how devastating this sounds but they overestimate my burns by 30-35%. So, if you think you burned 1000, you prob only burned 670. :(
    <3 Food scale. Yup. Its super important.
    <3 High protein and fat diet. Fat doesn't make you fat and protein keeps you full longer.
    <3 If your going to eat carbs, eat them earlier in the day and keep it light for dinner. (I still have issues with this one)
    <3 If your going to go out to eat, I skip anything with gluten. It sounds weird but it works. My favorite thing to eat is chilis shrimp fajitas without the shells. Its amazing and cuts the cals.
    lafqnh8sypq5.png
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    How important it is to log every bite I put into my mouth, no matter what. It took me jumping on and off the MFP wagon for 2 years before I knuckled down and got honest with myself.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    egorre wrote: »
    1. clothing expenses stack up quickly when you go down multiple sizes in less than a year. actually the fact that I went down from 4X to M in less than a year is something I didn't think possible.
    2. green smoothies actually tastes good
    3. MFP's very existence
    4. between prepping, cooking and cleaning there's so much work preparing your own meals instead of buying it somewhere else
    5. it's harder to get healthy when you're on a tight budget because prices of processed food in america is way cheaper and easier to get than healthier options
    I agree with you,except for number 1.
    I havent had a green smoothie. I don't drink juices or smoothies bc they r high in sugar.

• JennyC123
    JennyC123 Posts: 20 Member
    For me, it was realizing that stress was inhibiting ALL my attempts at getting healthy. No amount of gym time, calorie counting, meditation, vacations, etc alleviated it. Once I changed my situation, my body said "Hey, thanks! Now I'm ready to change!" It's been unbelievable!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    That strength training is almost a magic bullet in body shaping. I wish I had started years ago.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Boy! Where do I start??!! If I could go back in time, here's what I would tell former me:

- Scale lies. You can have two completely different figures while seeing the same number on that damn machine (Hello, strength training)
    - Limitations are in your mind not in your body (The "I can't" is not coming from your abs!)
    - Healthy food can be tasty
    - Don't compare yourself to others. It's a lost, useless battle .
    - No exercise will ever be harder than being highly overweight for 15 years
    - Jillian Michaels knows everything.
    - Getting back on the wagon is way harder than staying on it. If you have to slip, first, ask yourself a 100 times if it's worth it
    - Kitchen scale for solid food and cups for anything liquid. Every time. No choice there
    - You don't want to lose weight. You want to lose FAT
    - Food is the answer to hunger. And only hunger. Do not feed your emotions
    - You don't need a gym or fancy equipment to move your a**
    - Jillian Michaels knows everything. About everything. I mean it.

AND SO MUCH MORE!!
  • larsivy
    larsivy Posts: 21 Member
    I wish I had known about MFP last year

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Find what is sustainable for you! If you're like me and you don't want to cut any foods completely out of your diet, make them fit in other ways. If I want cake, I eat cake but I make sure the cake fits into my calories. It helps me not fixate on not-as-nutritious foods as much.

Don't do an exercise just because you've heard that it burns a lot of calories, do what you like! I happen to love running, lifting, and Insanity. It's difficult for me to get into traditional sports like soccer and volleyball, so if I do try a sport it's something martial arts related. I plan on trying MMA and spinning for my next exercises.

Overall, don't do something you hate because you think it will make you healthier/lose weight. Find what works for you and stick to it!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    That I don't need to live on 1200 calories a day!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!