How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    kryztoval wrote: »
    Why hasn't anyone suggested Agave Syrup/Nectar? it is really sweet, and has 0 calories... that would probably make those plain cheerios a lot cheerier without packing up calories. Bear in mind, as with any other sweetener other than sugar, that some people find the taste to be sour instead of sweet. So, try it before batch making 1000 boxes of chearios. You have been warned! :D

http://www.webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-agave

Wait... are you telling me I was not suppossed to feed a FAD trend into this thread? Oh well, too late for that!
    Did you even bother reading the first page?

..seriously. Do you even Cheerio?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.

I'm not taking birth control. Those have side effects way worse than any iron supplement. My periods aren't even heavy, they're moderate. I don't need birth control. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

Like a pound of Cheerios?

Also your aversion to pills and medication AND to food is getting ridiculous. I've been on anti-depressants, birth control, and I've taken the odd medication for other things (prescribed after procedures or OTC stuff). I had virtually no negative responses to any of these. Side-effects are POTENTIAL, they will not occur for everyone. If they do, the brand and/or amount is changed.

There have been 2 doctors I'm familiar with (one of them my mom used to see and another used to be my PCP). They have both switched to holistic medicine. Why would they do this if medication is so safe?

The side effects of birth control are well known. There were 2 sisters who took it and both had a stroke within months of each other. It also can cause blood clots. I've heard about a lot of people who don't have anxiety who never wanna take birth control pills. If you want to take them, that's your choice but I do not want to take them and I'm not going to.

Side effects are not potential. Side effects occur with every medication. I know several people on SSRIs and it messed up their thyroid so they're now on thyroid medication. But when they lowered the dose, their thyroid went back to normal. Unfortunately they couldn't get off the SSRIs cause they needed it so bad so they now have to take 2 medications since one caused the need for another.

Also, why can't we stay on topic and just discuss iron rich foods and how to correct this anemia?

SSRI's... messed up someone's thyroid. They're more likely to help it. The side effect on a normal thyroid are potentially minimal. On a corrected thyroid? nada.

18wyoaplrd9xtjpg.jpg

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?
    That was something to ask your medical dream team.

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If this girl were my daughter ... I can't even.

I love the "If everyone took liquid iron, chewables wouldn't exist" argument... when she won't take either of them.

You speak of side effects for everything you mention? Spare me. They are RARE. The common one for iron is constipation and you can get around that with eating fiber and drinking water.

You are making nothing but excuses and giving into a phobia.

Stop coddling yourself and grow up.

Has anyone suggested cutting up the solid pills then so they are easier to swallow?

Also WHY won't she take the chewable ones, because they'll probably taste too good (as i'm sure they are flavoured)? I used to live off of FLinstones flavoured multivitamins as a kid, they weren't gummies but were chewable, and tasted like chalky candy to me.

There was a previous thread about this. She was looking for a better tasting alternative. They tasted so bad she had to spit them out and eat something else to try to get the taste out of her mouth.
    Good lord, I can't believe I remember that.

Maybe she can take them like a dog, you know? Hide them in peanut butter?

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?

You're acting like eating red meat is such a chore...like apparently everything else that might be good for your anemia.

And no. It won't "correct it", as anemia is not a one-cure condition. You'll have to continue eating red meat regularly. Have a tissue.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

That would be a great question to ask your doctor/nutritionist. But probably a lot. And you'd want to eat it after those 5 days and work it consistently into your diet to maintain a healthy iron level.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    In case you guys want to drop in on another thread, it is called "how to make Cheetos taste good"

For real it is there .. an perhaps carazzzy land that this one landed in can be saved...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This is why responsible adults get help for anxiety issues.

I had terrible anxiety when it came to driving.

I had a small child who needed to be taken places. There was only one choice... to get help for my issue so she could have the life she deserved.

You are sacrificing your health by giving in to your anxiety. Get therapy.

• strawberrydonut
    Options
    You could try mixing a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of the Honey Nut Cheerios to plain Cheerios. Might flavor them up a bit.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This Can't Be Real

It is. People who don't have anxiety don't understand it.

and people who do, should get help.
    maybe you are, i have no idea, but your posts certainly read like someone who is certainly not.

eat the cheerios, take a supplement, and go see someone.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

You're acting like eating red meat is such a chore...like apparently everything else that might be good for your anemia.

And no. It won't "correct it", as anemia is not a one-cure condition. You'll have to continue eating red meat regularly. Have a tissue.

It's not a chore. I just have a fear of food poisoning and I get scared of red meat. I worded that wrong though. I meant like would I start feeling better?

Only way to find out is to try it. Let us know what happens.
This discussion has been closed.