How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This Can't Be Real

It is. People who don't have anxiety don't understand it.

I don't think anxiety is what you have. You completely believe every loony thing you've ever heard about homeopathy and thyroid problems and black teeth (oh and periods and food poisoning), and completely ignore every thoughtful, well-reasoned *factual* suggestion. That's just plain old deliberate, stubborn ignorance.

Or, Level 20+ trolling.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I think that a psychologist would be more useful to you than a doctor.

Seriously.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

This Can't Be Real

It is. People who don't have anxiety don't understand it.

I'm 99% positive you had a thread related to this in the past and everyone told you that you need to see a doctor to help with your aversion to pills and supplements. Right?

I know i personally suggested total cereal and the spatone iron enriched water that you add to juice; but you refused to try.

I know how anxiety is, and i know it isn't rational. I have OCD (an intense anxiety disorder) as well as GAD. But i'm taking steps to work on it and get it under control. You can't be a victim in your own life; only you can take charge of your problems and change them. No one else is going to be able to give you some magical advice that will make everything perfect while working with your individual issues.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?
    That was something to ask your medical dream team.

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)

Does being a vegetarian except for the occasional hotdog and occasional ham/turkey sandwich cause anemia? The RDA for iron is 100%. This is what you have to have a day to maintain your iron levels. If you don't, your body pulls from your ferritin stores to get what it needs. For years I didn't get 100% a day. At one point I was getting about 50% a day. This is the result of that.

I would keep eating red meat after 5 days. I just meant would I start feeling better and able to breathe again? And someone please tell me what it is about red meat and not ground turkey meat cause the iron percentages are similar so I don't get it.

Oh my, now I agree this MUST be a troll.

The RDA for a woman of your age bracket is 18Mg per day, not 100% per day. 100% would be your 18mg.

Also yes, most well read vegetarians who are careful with their nutrition get their iron through plants. There is a list of those 12 or so pages back that I quoted for you. If you are as deficient as you claim to be, that probably won't cut it. You'll need more to get your levels up and keep them level.

ETA: If you're a "Vegetarian" who occasionally eats a hot dog or turkey... you're not a vegetarian.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.

I'm not taking birth control. Those have side effects way worse than any iron supplement. My periods aren't even heavy, they're moderate. I don't need birth control. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

Like a pound of Cheerios?

Also your aversion to pills and medication AND to food is getting ridiculous. I've been on anti-depressants, birth control, and I've taken the odd medication for other things (prescribed after procedures or OTC stuff). I had virtually no negative responses to any of these. Side-effects are POTENTIAL, they will not occur for everyone. If they do, the brand and/or amount is changed.

There have been 2 doctors I'm familiar with (one of them my mom used to see and another used to be my PCP). They have both switched to holistic medicine. Why would they do this if medication is so safe?

The side effects of birth control are well known. There were 2 sisters who took it and both had a stroke within months of each other. It also can cause blood clots. I've heard about a lot of people who don't have anxiety who never wanna take birth control pills. If you want to take them, that's your choice but I do not want to take them and I'm not going to.

Side effects are not potential. Side effects occur with every medication. I know several people on SSRIs and it messed up their thyroid so they're now on thyroid medication. But when they lowered the dose, their thyroid went back to normal. Unfortunately they couldn't get off the SSRIs cause they needed it so bad so they now have to take 2 medications since one caused the need for another.

Also, why can't we stay on topic and just discuss iron rich foods and how to correct this anemia?

SSRI's... messed up someone's thyroid.

18wyoaplrd9xtjpg.jpg

Yes they do. Zoloft specifically. I have a friend who takes it. It messed up her thyroid. When she lowered the dose, her thyroid was normal. She remained on the lower dose for a year and her thyroid was normal the entire time. Her health got so bad she had to increase the dose and a couple months later, her thyroid was out of wack again. And SSRIs even list hypothyroidism as a potential side effect. So yes it does happen.

Nope. Hypothyroidism is not a listed side effect on SSRI's.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181155/

As for Zoloft and thyroid, read the responses on this page. It cites a study and the effects of Zoloft on thyroid.

thyroidmanager.org/question/thyroiditis-relation-to-sertraline-and-lack-of-melanin/

You are either making things up or the doctors in your town are all barking mad.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)

Does being a vegetarian except for the occasional hotdog and occasional ham/turkey sandwich cause anemia? The RDA for iron is 100%. This is what you have to have a day to maintain your iron levels. If you don't, your body pulls from your ferritin stores to get what it needs. For years I didn't get 100% a day. At one point I was getting about 50% a day. This is the result of that.

I would keep eating red meat after 5 days. I just meant would I start feeling better and able to breathe again? And someone please tell me what it is about red meat and not ground turkey meat cause the iron percentages are similar so I don't get it.

I ... what.... there's no being a vegetarian "EXCEPT".

What DO you eat, like what does your daily diet consist of?

• MyM0wM0w
    Options
    It's not a chore. I just have a fear of food poisoning and I get scared of red meat. I worded that wrong though. I meant like would I start feeling better?

Are you aware that in 2013, 2012, and 2010 Kellogg's (They make Cheerios) had a recall for glass fragments in their products. Oh wait, the 2010 recall was for an added chemical to the wrapper that effected taste/smell of the product.

Just 'sayin. Food is food. Unless you grew it, raised it, butchered it, whatever all yourself you're taking a chance.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Now she's afraid of food poisoning?

How do you feel about chem trails?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Okay...just in case you really do need help with these Cheerios...

Try roasting them for a few minutes with a topping...

Such as...

Brown sugar
    Sugar and cinnamon
    Spices
    Parmesan Cheese
    Butter spray
    What ever you like

Heat your oven to between 375 - 400
    Spray a pan with the butter spray
    Sprinkle on your toppings

Be careful however...it won't take long for them to burn

Let them cool and enjoy your iron...
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    I want to hear the answer to this. OP, have you Googled Iron rich foods? Yes or No?

I did it for her and posted it way back in the thread.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It's not a chore. I just have a fear of food poisoning and I get scared of red meat. I worded that wrong though. I meant like would I start feeling better?

Are you aware that in 2013, 2012, and 2010 Kellogg's (They make Cheerios) had a recall for glass fragments in their products. Oh wait, the 2010 recall was for an added chemical to the wrapper that effected taste/smell of the product.

Just 'sayin. Food is food. Unless you grew it, raised it, butchered it, whatever all yourself you're taking a chance.

LIIIIIIIES.gif?itok=_BU2KRh7
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Wow, dude. Drink some water to wash out the taste. I mean, Christ, I don't think toddlers even complain this much when they have to take pills for something.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Sorry but you're trolling at this point. So now you can't beeath? I though a few pages back you said you had no deficiencies.

She can't breathe and has to sit down to put her clothes on and is too tired to wear makeup, yet she can spend hours responding to and refuting every logical suggestion on this thread.

One Flintstone vitamin would cause her to run around the room flailing her arms and gagging.

She now suddenly has a fear of food poisoning which somehow is only limited to red meat (because the turkey meatballs were the magical breathing cure she was looking for).

She sees two holistic doctors and an orthodontist all of whom think that eating cheerios is a better solution for her than taking liquid iron, because, you know, teeth staining.

Also every single person who takes a medication gets the side effects.

I THINK that's it. You're caught up now.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Wow. Why did I bail on this thread so soon? Intrigued.
This discussion has been closed.