How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Eat Chex mix instead, only it has to be homemade bc the cereal has more iron than the mix.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.

OP - how are your fears of things such as iron injections/drips and blood transfusions? Or simply put, the next step if your health is as bad as you say and you "can't" remedy it by eating the correct diet or taking a supplement.

Personally I'd rather swallow a pill than have someone else's blood pumped into me but hey each to their own.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Patient: Can barely get out of bed or sit up
    Doctor: Don't take what you need, honey, it will stain your teeth, have some Cheerios instead.

image.jpg?w=552&c=1

That's not what the doctor said. She said to take Flintstones chewables.

But you DON't even take your freakin' Flinstones chewables!!!!!!!!! !!! You've been posting about them since December 2014 and you still don't take them. You have an irrational mental blockage that only THERAPY will cure (or at least help).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Hey look, old thread with good pictures!

top_10_high_iron_foods.jpg
    irontable.gif

Not sure why OP couldn't Google that herself in March when she asked about iron. OR in January.

Also basing needs on % is kind of stupid when that % is based on a 2000 calorie diet. If not eating 2000 calories (as OP said, range of 1700-2000 calories, and I'll assume inaccurate logging so the number could be way off) then you basically are basing your needs on something quite pointless. Just stick to mg.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The iron that has been added to cereal (since grain doesn't have its own iron) is basically the same thing as if you took an iron supplement. So why don't you just do that instead?
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Is an iron injection out of the question if your need is urgent?

Brilliant idea, since she said she's fine with blood tests so she should be fine with this!

Although I'm sure she'll have another excuse about why she does not want to take this route, unless she's already addressed it above.

Liquid iron injections stain your veins. Duh!
  • ana3067
    Options
    OP, look into seeing a psychiatrist rather than a therapist, counselor, or psychologist. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who can prescribe medication and perform other tests that might lead to a better diagnosis. The others have training in the behavioral sciences but generally don't have the additional medical background. Your anxiety could be caused by a physiological rather than, or in addition to, a mental problem.
    PBI although therapists/psychologists cannot prescribe medication, they can still result in prescription. I went to my GP and told her that I wanted a rx for a therapist and was interested in anti-depressants, she said that she'd like me to go to a therapist for a few sessions just to see whether the therapist agreed with this decision. After she did (pretty much on the first session, no less) she either printed something off or sent a memo or something to my GP, or I told GP about the therapist's recommendations, and I was prescribed medication.

This requires a bit more work, but if talk therapy is desired then it's a good approach. I don't know that I'd want to go to a psychiatrist for talk therapy, tbh.
  • ana3067
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Has anyone asked the OP if she Googled "foods that are high in IRON"?

Dude, that's a great idea! I can't believe in 19 pages of replies, no one suggested that!
    :D

Even if she did it doesn't mean she's going to eat them....

Yea. If you look at OP previous threads, she has basically said the only iron rich foods she will eat are broccoli, select meat, hot dogs and cereal.

Then why keep asking these questions when she can just increase her intake of broccoli, select meat, hot dogs, and cereal??????????????????????????????????????????????????/
  • ana3067
    Options
    cocobongo wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious.

OP - how are your fears of things such as iron injections/drips and blood transfusions? Or simply put, the next step if your health is as bad as you say and you "can't" remedy it by eating the correct diet or taking a supplement.

Personally I'd rather swallow a pill than have someone else's blood pumped into me but hey each to their own.

She said she doesn't fear blood tests so most likely she wouldn't fear this. But she will probably say that it makes her body feel tingly or weird, which scares her. Or that needles aren't natural.
  • ana3067
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    Eat Chex mix instead, only it has to be homemade bc the cereal has more iron than the mix.

Unless she makes them with only Cheerios, she won't eat it.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea. Why doesn't everyone on here buy Flintstones chewables with iron and take one and tell me how it is?

They taste a little gritty but aren't that bad. I have taken then in the past.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    TL; DR can someone please briefly explain to me how a thread on cheerios got to 500+ posts? :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea. Why doesn't everyone on here buy Flintstones chewables with iron and take one and tell me how it is?

They taste like fruit-flavored chalk. But if my iron deficiency was so bad that I had shortness of breath and trouble standing, I'd take them like a champ.

Because I'm an adult. That's what adults do. Grown ups. Because reasons.

Why am I still here.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Has anyone asked the OP if she Googled "foods that are high in IRON"?

Dude, that's a great idea! I can't believe in 19 pages of replies, no one suggested that!
    :D

Even if she did it doesn't mean she's going to eat them....

Yea. If you look at OP previous threads, she has basically said the only iron rich foods she will eat are broccoli, select meat, hot dogs and cereal.

Then why keep asking these questions when she can just increase her intake of broccoli, select meat, hot dogs, and cereal??????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Will this actually work or are you being sarcastic?

She's being serious. All you have to do is increase any of the sources of iron in your diet to accomplish your basic goal. I would still strongly advise that you take some sort of supplement, even it if is the flavored kind or one using a dropper.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    So, you're 23 and still living off your mom.
    I don't need to taste them, I eat meat to counteract my severe iron deficiency.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    TL; DR can someone please briefly explain to me how a thread on cheerios got to 500+ posts? :smile:

There's a summary on page 15 if you want a recap.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.

Although that seems logical and I should prioritize my health, anxiety is illogical and doesn't work that way. If I were to be able to get the Flintstones down, I would freak out. I would pace the room and flail my hands and be trying desperately to get the taste out of my mouth. I'd probably freak out for 30 minutes to an hour and hopefully not stress so much that I'd throw it up. That's why I haven't taken the supplement.

Need psychotherapy
    /thread
This discussion has been closed.