How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    If I eat red meat for 5 days straight, will it correct this? How much of it would I have to eat?
    That was something to ask your medical dream team.

In general, I would say no. That you need to eat a proper well rounded diet that includes high iron meat on a daily basis indefinitely if you're *THAT* anemic for an unknown reason.

(because a normal menstrual cycle, as you claim to have, shouldn't leave you anemic)

Does being a vegetarian except for the occasional hotdog and occasional ham/turkey sandwich cause anemia? The RDA for iron is 100%. This is what you have to have a day to maintain your iron levels. If you don't, your body pulls from your ferritin stores to get what it needs. For years I didn't get 100% a day. At one point I was getting about 50% a day. This is the result of that.

I would keep eating red meat after 5 days. I just meant would I start feeling better and able to breathe again? And someone please tell me what it is about red meat and not ground turkey meat cause the iron percentages are similar so I don't get it.

Oh my, now I agree this MUST be a troll.

The RDA for a woman of your age bracket is 18Mg per day, not 100% per day. 100% would be your 18mg.

Also yes, most well read vegetarians who are careful with their nutrition get their iron through plants. There is a list of those 12 or so pages back that I quoted for you. If you are as deficient as you claim to be, that probably won't cut it. You'll need more to get your levels up and keep them level.

ETA: If you're a "Vegetarian" who occasionally eats a hot dog or turkey... you're not a vegetarian.

I am not trolling and I'm not gonna say it again. Like I said asked and answered. If it comes up again, I'm just gonna ignore it.

100% is the same thing as 18mg. I don't get your point. And the reason I prefer to calculate percentages is it says percentages on all food labels. I don't wanna have to calculate 25% for example over to mg.

I was a vegetarian who did not get my iron other ways though. For several years I did not get enough iron in my diet. And the definition of a vegetarian is someone who eats little to no meat products. I ate little meat at the time so that still made me a vegetarian.

Did you know that the percentages on the labels are based on being male or over 50? In other words - the percent is out of a total of 8 mg. So if it says 100% DV in a serving, that's only 8 mg. NOT 18 mg. So only eating 200% isn't going to cut it. You need 225% just to hit the recommended amount for a woman your age who doesn't have anemia.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This has been playing on my mind.

OP - you say you've been out of school for a year because of this. Is this what you want your life to be? Living with your mom, not getting an education, all because of fears of a flippen' gummi-vitamin and a refusal to seek help or a logical solution?

IF this is true, and I have my doubts, I don't think you're scared of the vitamin at all. You're scared of actually having to live an adult life. Right now, this gives you an excuse to not life as an adult, to not seek a career, to not have to grow up. And you have a comfy little crutch to blame it all on.

But seriously - do you want to look back on your life and see how you failed to make anything of yourself, because of a completely fixable, easily solved iron deficiency? Seems like a pretty sad life to life, really.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

OP - you say you've been out of school for a year because of this. Is this what you want your life to be? Living with your mom, not getting an education, all because of fears of a flippen' gummi-vitamin and a refusal to seek help or a logical solution?

IF this is true, and I have my doubts, I don't think you're scared of the vitamin at all. You're scared of actually having to live an adult life. Right now, this gives you an excuse to not life as an adult, to not seek a career, to not have to grow up. And you have a comfy little crutch to blame it all on.

But seriously - do you want to look back on your life and see how you failed to make anything of yourself, because of a completely fixable, easily solved iron deficiency? Seems like a pretty sad life to life, really.

A+

• Christine_72
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    So, you're 23 and still living off your mom.

This isn't as weird as it sounds. I'm 24 and still on my parents' insurance. Their insurance is much better than anything I can get right now through my university or the affordable care act. Relying on someone else's insurance doesn't mean you're living off them.
    uh... generally, people get jobs at 24 and have their own insurance. I'd love to have had that deal!

I'm envious!

I know right!! I was married with 2 kids and had bought a house by the time I turned 24.

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

This isn't as weird as it sounds. I'm 24 and still on my parents' insurance. Their insurance is much better than anything I can get right now through my university or the affordable care act. Relying on someone else's insurance doesn't mean you're living off them.
    uh... generally, people get jobs at 24 and have their own insurance. I'd love to have had that deal!

I'm envious!

I know right!! I was married with 2 kids and had bought a house by the time I turned 24.

seriously, I had my own ad agency at that age...

There's nothing wrong with being at school at 24. Typically people who go to grad school and pursue anything beyond a Bachelor's would still be in school at 24. I guess all doctor's and PhD's are looosers.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I'm envious!

There's nothing wrong with being at school at 24. Typically people who go to grad school and pursue anything beyond a Bachelor's would still be in school at 24. I guess all doctor's and PhD's are looosers.

It depends on the individual too. My 26 year old niece is still in Uni because she has zero idea what career she wants and is not ready to enter the Adult world....

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if OP is emetophobic. The aversion to any pills with nausea as a possible side effect and fear of food poisoning is very common with it (though aversion based on pure taste or texture is completely beyond me).

I have been emetophobic for as long as I remember. Therapy wasn't enough. I needed medication, which of course I was afraid to take. Then my entire nervous system went haywire and I ended up with gastroparesis, which is nonstop nausea and vomiting. It forced me to face my fears a bit, and finally I decided the side effects of anxiety medication couldn't be any worse than the illness I was dealing with. So I took it. And it helped me more than I ever could have imagined. I'm still phobic, but I can talk myself through with CBT and function. Oh, and that medication is Zoloft. My thyroid is fine.

TL:DR - buck up and take the damn pills. Take them in the waiting room of your doctor's office if it makes you feel better. You will have to break the cycle somewhere, but you also have to want to. I'm not sure if you're there yet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'm envious!

At 24 I'd just started Uni. As someone who dropped out of high school at age 15 then went back at 23 to get a double degree in Media and Law, I'm kind of proud of being at school at 24!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

I'm envious!

I'm only graduating with my BA at 24. I took a year off before starting and took 4 classes and an extra grade-raising semester, resulting in a 5-year BA. I do plan on eventually doing a masters unless I get an amazingly awesome job that pays really well. So I'll be even older when I finish school.

Job requirements have changed. Employers stupidly want excessive education that can easily be totally inapplicable to the actual tasks of the job, but I'm willing to do more schooling to get above entry-level work.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm at the end of page 14 and out of wine (I drank half the bottle reading this). The sad part is that I'm still mostly sober, and I'm not sure I can continue reading this hot mess. I mean, I'm sure I will because I've come too far, but daaaaaamn.

Someone bring me more wine. Plz. I love you long time.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I'm envious!

I'm only graduating with my BA at 24. I took a year off before starting and took 4 classes and an extra grade-raising semester, resulting in a 5-year BA. I do plan on eventually doing a masters unless I get an amazingly awesome job that pays really well. So I'll be even older when I finish school.

Job requirements have changed. Employers stupidly want excessive education that can easily be totally inapplicable to the actual tasks of the job, but I'm willing to do more schooling to get above entry-level work.

There's nothing wrong with finishing a BA at 24 either. Cograts btw! I was just pointing out that still being at school at that point is not particularly odd.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'm at the end of page 14 and out of wine (I drank half the bottle reading this). The sad part is that I'm still mostly sober, and I'm not sure I can continue reading this hot mess. I mean, I'm sure I will because I've come too far, but daaaaaamn.

you only get OJ for the vit C

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

you only get OJ for the vit C

I have that in my fridge. And that doesn't mix well with the wine in mah bellah.

I could take more of my gummy fiber vitamins too, but I don't want to run around my living room flailing my arms for 30 minutes either.

Since you're being stingy as hell can you give me the 20 minutes of my life back? Also, the next time I make brownies I'm going to post hundreds of pictures and not share a damn crumb with you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I'm envious!

Wow. Good for you.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    sorre%2BIm%2Blate%2Bhad%2Bto%2Bget%2Benough%2Bpopcorn%2Bfor%2Ball%2Bof%2Bus.jpg

Lol
  • Christine_72
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm envious!

Wow. Good for you.

It was different 20 years ago. Education wasn't as big of a deal back then.
    Living at home with mum and dad past the age of 20 wasn't considered much either. It was finish whatever grade you chose to at school, get a job and get out!
    America has college after high school, we do not. There's University, but I've met exactly one person in my life who has attended Uni and she's been there for 8 years :ohwell:

• Qskim
    Options
    pjopl8oudl6u.jpg

Clever..
  • Qskim
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    People are saying something is seriously wrong because you refuse to take the obvious and reasonable steps to correct the problem, and instead latch on to weird measures like trying to eat more cereal.

What would those steps be BESIDES taking an iron supplement? I've read about so many people who can't tolerate iron supplements so they don't take them. Do you think they just suffer from anemia? No, I'm sure they find a way through food.

Iron injection...I can't figure why if you're so low and you can't have oral sup your doc has not suggested this. My MIL was severely anaemic and literally could not swallow a pill due to glands so she had regular injections to bring her iron back up.

Ah I see this has been mentioned...
  • Qskim
    Options
    Troll+cat_2350ad_3267916.gif

Pissed myself laughing...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

It's probably way too deep for OP.
This discussion has been closed.