How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    lzrzw9xm6ehk.jpg
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Stop. It is not going to make or break your blood hemoglobin to eat one kind of cereal over another.

Add more iron-rich foods to your diet AS A WHOLE and stop picking over minor things. Eat a spinach salad and steak for dinner. Have Broccoli and Hummus for a snack. Eat lots and lots of clams, mussels, and oysters (gram for gram, these are the foods richest in bioavailable iron) and instead of snacking on just dried cereal, add some pumpkin seeds and nuts, both of which are very rich in iron.

And, honestly, if you are so anemic that you can't stand up to get dressed? Your doctor should have prescribed you a supplement immediately. That's very extreme.

Yeah, I missed that. We are not being told the whole story here and it's pretty obvious that the OP either needs to go get real help or she is a minor. Either way she's not being honest here.

Honestly I've had enough of you making rude comments and accusing me of stuff that is not true. I may be blunt but I'm looking for actual advice here. Not comments like these. I have told you the whole story and I am not a minor. Be nice or please leave.

Yeah that's not how forums work.... you're going to get the good AND the bad OP.

IMO, what MrM said wasn't rude. He was responding to something someone else said. If you're going to find THAT much fault with what he said.... you're going to have a bad time.

People are trying to help. There have been 10 pages of people offering suggestions, asking questions, and yes...occasionally being snarky. Overall, people haven't meant to be mean. People are asking questions, offering suggestions, and questioning things as a means to help. To get more information. To get you to ask questions of your doctor, to think about things, etc. But you know what? Every single suggestion that has been offered to you has been shot down.

And now you're coming here crying foul and telling people to be nice?

Really... why are you here? Why are you posting? And what exactly do you want?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult.

Heavy menstruation is not the only cause of iron deficiency and not everyone who has heavy menstruation is iron deficient.

I am iron deficient because I have trouble absorbing Nom Heme iron. Unless it comes from meat I don't absorb it very well. It was the case when I was 10 years old and it's the case when I'm 42 years old.

I didn't like talking pills when I was 10 but I sucked it up and did it because it made me feel better. The liquid didn't stain my teeth because I was took it diluted in water and brushed my teeth with baking soda. It doesn't ABSOLUTELY stain teeth, it can stain teeth if not taken properly.

Feeling light headed in the mornings may have ZERO to do with iron deficiency. Have you taken your BP in the morning? It might be low BP.

OP... your excuses are invalid.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    People are saying something is seriously wrong because you refuse to take the obvious and reasonable steps to correct the problem, and instead latch on to weird measures like trying to eat more cereal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this party too, but I just had to ask...

OP why do you keep talking about iron percentages? Isn't that going to be confusing and misleading, because it is measuring iron as a percentage of the serving size of the food? Wouldn't a more objective, quantitative measurement be to have a total number of milligrams of iron that you need to reach every day, and then you can look at the number of mgs of Fe in different foods and add it all up to achieve that number?

Also, seriously, you are too tired to put on makeup? And yet you are asking about how to make cheerios taste better? If I was so anemic that I had to sit down to get dressed and couldn't put on makeup, I would be eating a surf and turf of beef liver and sardines with a side of collard greens and I would take the biggest iron pill I could find.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think the whole anemia thing is just a cover, and OP really is just desperate to figure out how to get sugar to stick to dry Cheerios.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I am starting to think the whole anemia thing is just a cover, and OP really is just desperate to figure out how to get sugar to stick to dry Cheerios.

Maybe she is trying to patent this...

crunchenhancer.png
  • glevinso
    Options
    Using the same powers of google that you possess, I was able to pull up a whole host of strategies for preventing the dental staining.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Stop. It is not going to make or break your blood hemoglobin to eat one kind of cereal over another.

Add more iron-rich foods to your diet AS A WHOLE and stop picking over minor things. Eat a spinach salad and steak for dinner. Have Broccoli and Hummus for a snack. Eat lots and lots of clams, mussels, and oysters (gram for gram, these are the foods richest in bioavailable iron) and instead of snacking on just dried cereal, add some pumpkin seeds and nuts, both of which are very rich in iron.

And, honestly, if you are so anemic that you can't stand up to get dressed? Your doctor should have prescribed you a supplement immediately. That's very extreme.

Yeah, I missed that. We are not being told the whole story here and it's pretty obvious that the OP either needs to go get real help or she is a minor. Either way she's not being honest here.

Seriously. There is something more going on. My kids are horrible picky eaters. I confess. Their father rubbed off on them. He's a picky eater too. Neither of them them have nutritional deficiencies. Let alone to this point.

OP has to have some SERIOUS issues to be so ill that she can't stand up.

I don't have nutritional deficiencies besides iron. And I can stand up, please don't twist my words around. I said when I am getting dressed, I feel out of breath and like I'm gonna pass out. So I have to get dressed sitting down. But when I had a lot of turkey meat one night, I could breathe better and could get dressed standing up again. This is all related to low iron. I don't even wear makeup anymore cause I don't have the energy to put it on.

Part of being an adult is doing what it takes to deal with your health so it doesn't come to this. You might not realize it, but every time you make an excuse or give into your anxieties, you are relegating yourself to an unhealthy life and acting irresponsibly.

You have said that your doctors said things that no doctor would ever say.

It's hard to believe you at this point.

If however, you are at the point that your anxieties around food are in the way of your health, you need HELP. You need to stop working around the anxiety and accepting it as a FACT. It's not. It can be overcome. It will take time and work. Resolve to do that and fix yourself and your issues. Like an adult.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

If that was the case, I'd just eat the Honey Nut ones. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I literally laughed out loud at the second sentence.

• glevinso
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Those of you who said I need to incorporate more naturally containing iron rich foods like meat, beans, dark chocolate, etc are right. I'm still gonna have my cereal but I need to add in more naturally containing iron foods.

I understand some of you are frustrated with me but there's no reason to be rude and keep making comments regarding my age. Obviously a 13 year old wouldn't be this low in iron.

To the person who said to just take a liquid iron supplement, that is not an option for me. I have braces (and yes I am an adult with braces) and my orthodontist has advised me against it. Liquid iron turns your teeth black. Even my regular doctor told me it stains your teeth and tastes horrible and she wouldn't do it.

I have an important question. I know that red meat is rich in iron and it can correct anemia. I have looked up red meat and the iron content varies from 10% to 15% per serving. The ground turkey meat I eat has 8% iron per serving. I don't see a huge difference here. So why would red meat work and ground turkey meat not work?

A couple weeks ago I had pasta with turkey meatballs and lima beans. I had more of the meat and less of the pasta. I normally have more pasta than meat. I also had a Vitamin C rich popsicle for dessert. I felt like I could breathe better and it lasted a couple days. I could stand up while getting dressed instead of sitting on my bed. I felt so much better! So does ground turkey meat work? Do you just have to eat a lot of it? I'm not understanding what it is about red meat since the iron percentages are close.

Are you kidding me?!!!!!! That's the bullshitiest excuse i've ever heard! I had braces for 4 years as an adult, taking liquid iron supplement DOES NOT turn your teeth black. Every excuse is good not to take a supplement. Your mental issue is making you miserable, irrational and unhealthy. Seek professional healp.

Also I've never heard of a doctor choosing a patient's taste buds and teeth aesthetics over remedying their health woes. I mean, my doctor doesn't choose to not do a blood test if it's required simply because they make me queasy and I start bawling my eyes out when it happens.

So you can't handle blood tests. See everyone has their own issues. I can handle blood tests just fine. I get a little nervous but I don't cry about it. How would you like it if someone kept attacking you cause of your issues with blood tests?

I think you need to read that post again. She says she doesn't like it but that doesn't stop her doctor from ordering tests. If a test is necessary, you put on your big girl pants and do what is necessary. Like in this situation.
This discussion has been closed.