How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    pjopl8oudl6u.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I am starting to think the whole anemia thing is just a cover, and OP really is just desperate to figure out how to get sugar to stick to dry Cheerios.

If that was the case, I'd just eat the Honey Nut ones. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I literally laughed out loud at the second sentence.
    That was so ironic I got scared for a moment. Like we hit some kind of max irony limit and the planet was about to implode.

I feel, reading this thread, like I may have entered an alternate dimension. Maybe one where irony has no meaning, and cheerios are the best possible source of iron...

if only the OP was more ironic....amirite?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    I am starting to think the whole anemia thing is just a cover, and OP really is just desperate to figure out how to get sugar to stick to dry Cheerios.

If that was the case, I'd just eat the Honey Nut ones. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I literally laughed out loud at the second sentence.
    That was so ironic I got scared for a moment. Like we hit some kind of max irony limit and the planet was about to implode.

I feel, reading this thread, like I may have entered an alternate dimension. Maybe one where irony has no meaning, and cheerios are the best possible source of iron...

if only the OP was more ironic....amirite?

A little too ironic, yeah I really do think...

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I've been taking liquid iron supplements almost daily for ten years, and never had my dentist or a doctor comment on me having or being at risk of stained teeth. Even if I had noticed that, I'd take that over fainting in public places, getting dizzy climbing stairs, and feeling so tired all the time I wanted to cry.

You got lucky but liquid iron is well known for staining teeth and does stain teeth. I am a young adult and there is no way I'm gonna let my teeth be ruined. In addition, I simply don't want to take liquid iron. If I'm gonna take any supplement, it's going to be a chewable vitamin with iron. I do not want to take liquid iron and it's not happening.

And look at that. You had symptoms similar to what I'm having. Yet people say something is seriously wrong that I feel like I'm gonna pass out while I get dressed.

Because if you are that anaemic, and your anxiety about supplements/vitamins are preventing you from rectifying the situation effectively and swiftly, something IS seriously wrong. Cheerios are not the answer to a serious iron deficiency.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    lzrzw9xm6ehk.jpg
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Stop. It is not going to make or break your blood hemoglobin to eat one kind of cereal over another.

Add more iron-rich foods to your diet AS A WHOLE and stop picking over minor things. Eat a spinach salad and steak for dinner. Have Broccoli and Hummus for a snack. Eat lots and lots of clams, mussels, and oysters (gram for gram, these are the foods richest in bioavailable iron) and instead of snacking on just dried cereal, add some pumpkin seeds and nuts, both of which are very rich in iron.

And, honestly, if you are so anemic that you can't stand up to get dressed? Your doctor should have prescribed you a supplement immediately. That's very extreme.

Yeah, I missed that. We are not being told the whole story here and it's pretty obvious that the OP either needs to go get real help or she is a minor. Either way she's not being honest here.

Honestly I've had enough of you making rude comments and accusing me of stuff that is not true. I may be blunt but I'm looking for actual advice here. Not comments like these. I have told you the whole story and I am not a minor. Be nice or please leave.

Yeah that's not how forums work.... you're going to get the good AND the bad OP.

IMO, what MrM said wasn't rude. He was responding to something someone else said. If you're going to find THAT much fault with what he said.... you're going to have a bad time.

People are trying to help. There have been 10 pages of people offering suggestions, asking questions, and yes...occasionally being snarky. Overall, people haven't meant to be mean. People are asking questions, offering suggestions, and questioning things as a means to help. To get more information. To get you to ask questions of your doctor, to think about things, etc. But you know what? Every single suggestion that has been offered to you has been shot down.

And now you're coming here crying foul and telling people to be nice?

Really... why are you here? Why are you posting? And what exactly do you want?

There have been some people who are trying to help and have offered good suggestions and foods rich in iron. But there are lots of people who keep attacking me referring to my age and how I have issues and stuff like that. Accusing people of lying over and over after they've already stated they aren't lying is attacking them. Isn't there a rule on this board about no personal attacks? A lot of people are breaking the rules.

I haven't shot down every single suggestion. The Multigrain Cheerios was suggested and I'm going to buy them and try them. I am posting cause of this severe iron deficiency that I have and I need to raise it with the quickness without supplements and with food I like. That's what I'm looking for.

I had an iron deficiency and my doctor prescribed supplements. This is probably a repeated question, but I am avoiding scrolling through pages of replies. Why won't you take supplements?

And if you're looking for food you like, why would you want to make something you don't like taste good? Just find a different food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Man I got to the bottom of page two- couldn't take it.
    Just take an iron pill.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.

I'm not taking birth control. Those have side effects way worse than any iron supplement. My periods aren't even heavy, they're moderate. I don't need birth control. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

Then your periods have nothing to do with anemia, contrary to what you claimed.

Even though my periods aren't heavy, it's still blood loss. And if you're eating a low iron diet and still losing blood, your iron will go down.

That's not exactly how it works. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of women menstruate regularly and aren't anemic, regardless of diet. Abnormal menstruation may result in anemia. Regular old run-of-the-mill menstruation will NOT be the primary cause of anemia (especially not the sort of anemia you're claiming to have). It might mildly exacerbate anemia primarily caused by another health condition or severe malnutrition, but it will not cause it.

Also, please don't take health advice from your orthodontist. You wouldn't ask your podiatrist to adjust your braces, would you?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Oh my... It must be Monday and folks may need a nap (especially after this thread)..

The number of pages is growing immensely... This is not going to end well...

But for heavan's sake take the iron pill and be done!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Stop. It is not going to make or break your blood hemoglobin to eat one kind of cereal over another.

Add more iron-rich foods to your diet AS A WHOLE and stop picking over minor things. Eat a spinach salad and steak for dinner. Have Broccoli and Hummus for a snack. Eat lots and lots of clams, mussels, and oysters (gram for gram, these are the foods richest in bioavailable iron) and instead of snacking on just dried cereal, add some pumpkin seeds and nuts, both of which are very rich in iron.

And, honestly, if you are so anemic that you can't stand up to get dressed? Your doctor should have prescribed you a supplement immediately. That's very extreme.

Yeah, I missed that. We are not being told the whole story here and it's pretty obvious that the OP either needs to go get real help or she is a minor. Either way she's not being honest here.

I'd guess malnourishment from not eating enough food? Which could be why she wasn't put on a supplement if the doctor knows about this, and maybe s/he was urging OP to like... eat more food period.

Haha seriously don't even go there. I eat 1700-2000 calories a day and maintain my weight. I weigh myself every day when I wake up and weigh the same thing. I am eating 3 meals a day with 2 snacks and dessert with dinner. So that's not a problem. I'm not malnourished. I have had blood test after blood test done. All my vitamins are normal. The only thing that keeps coming back low is IRON.

Then ffs, stop whining, take a supplement.
  • icemaiden37
    Options
    Is an iron injection out of the question if your need is urgent?
  • ana3067
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I've been taking liquid iron supplements almost daily for ten years, and never had my dentist or a doctor comment on me having or being at risk of stained teeth. Even if I had noticed that, I'd take that over fainting in public places, getting dizzy climbing stairs, and feeling so tired all the time I wanted to cry.

You got lucky but liquid iron is well known for staining teeth and does stain teeth. I am a young adult and there is no way I'm gonna let my teeth be ruined. In addition, I simply don't want to take liquid iron. If I'm gonna take any supplement, it's going to be a chewable vitamin with iron. I do not want to take liquid iron and it's not happening.

And look at that. You had symptoms similar to what I'm having. Yet people say something is seriously wrong that I feel like I'm gonna pass out while I get dressed.

the staining is temporary.

Do you need your doctor to hold your hand while you eat your cheerios?
  • ana3067
    Options
    I'm late to this party too, but I just had to ask...

OP why do you keep talking about iron percentages? Isn't that going to be confusing and misleading, because it is measuring iron as a percentage of the serving size of the food? Wouldn't a more objective, quantitative measurement be to have a total number of milligrams of iron that you need to reach every day, and then you can look at the number of mgs of Fe in different foods and add it all up to achieve that number?

Also, seriously, you are too tired to put on makeup? And yet you are asking about how to make cheerios taste better? If I was so anemic that I had to sit down to get dressed and couldn't put on makeup, I would be eating a surf and turf of beef liver and sardines with a side of collard greens and I would take the biggest iron pill I could find.

Wait, if someone is too tired to put on makeup, how are they not too tired to type on a computer?
  • icemaiden37
    Options
    Or - Cheerios in orange juice?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    People are saying something is seriously wrong because you refuse to take the obvious and reasonable steps to correct the problem, and instead latch on to weird measures like trying to eat more cereal.

What would those steps be BESIDES taking an iron supplement? I've read about so many people who can't tolerate iron supplements so they don't take them. Do you think they just suffer from anemia? No, I'm sure they find a way through food.

It's risk/benefit. Most reasonable people, if they had such a deficiency that they couldn't do everyday things like get around without extreme exhaustion, would find a way to make the supplements work (taking them with food, stool softeners, etc), rather than trying to find a way to avoid them. People with mild anemia may do fine eating Cheerios instead of a mild supplement. People whose "body can't tolerate" their severe iron deficiency put on their grown-up hats and do what needs to be done to correct it.
This discussion has been closed.