Why do people lock their diaries?

Options

Replies

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's open right now, but I'm a very inconsistent logger. So sometimes I close it because I feel self conscious about my bad habits and bad tracking.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because it add's an additional layer of accountability to MFP friends and maybe it gives someone an idea of what to eat. I don't know anyone here, nor would I care if someone offered negative comments about my intake, it actually might do more good than harm.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    because I list how much crack I smoke each day on mine and don't want my probation officer to read it.
    I'm pretty sure the crack is pretty low calorie. In fact from what I hear, quite the diet aid. Of course you'll hock anything of any value, and eventually be homeless, but small price to pay.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not into oversharing, and the thought of random people looking at my diary kind of creeps me out.

I will tell you that successful weight loss is mainly about reducing the amount of food you're eating, and less about the specifics of your food choices. If you want new food ideas, maybe check the recipes section?
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    As with any information, it could be used in a good way or bad way. I guess it depends on the person's level of paranoia or how much trust can they have with others.
    I personally do not see anything "private" in food. When you go to a restaurant, do you hide what you eat from others? I also, have looked at some of my friend's diaries and learned some interesting choices in food which I later tried and found to be healthy and delicious. I have NEVER judged anyone for what they eat but may have asked why they chose certain food types. The way I see it is that we are here to learn from each other and not to criticize each other. If that is not the case, then a FL refresh is needed.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    My diary is open to all. I really don't care what anyone thinks, it is working for me.
    Same. I've also never gotten PMs from people judging my diary. If I have low days, the next day will make up for it. If there are circumstances I write a note on my diary. I don't really need to explain to strangers about why Monday was only 1500 calories when Tuesday winds up being 2500 calories.. they can do the math themselves! Plus my profile is pretty specific about my food/weight loss philosophy, so for anyone to assume that I don't practice what I preach from some "bad" days or something isn't really worth my time.

Same here for me too... I really dgaf what anyone thinks/says about my food intake.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    mine is locked to anyone not on my friends list. why? because when i'm giving advice to someone in the forum about proper nutrition, i don't need some jerk-face i don't know coming in and nitpicking my diary because i have splenda in my coffee.

and this is exactly why i keep things locked down too. sorry but there really are some mean, nasty, bullies on this site.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I admit I do look through my friends diaries. I love looking at the food they eat and sometimes asking how something tasted or how they prepared it. If they are locked that's fine too. It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I don't understand someone who could leave a comment degrading other people because they don't like what they eat. I binge, I want to log it to see if there's some pattern to it. And if anyone wants to see my binge days go ahead.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I think one of the other reasons I don't' mind having it open is that other people IRL SEE me eat the food I've logged... sure, they don't all see everything I've eaten, but strangers still see me eat food. I have no problem now with eating in front of people (it used to gross me out growing up), so to me this is a very similar thing. Plus if it helps people get ideas of what kind of foods they can eat while still losing weight (i.e. any food) and how to log accurately (i.e. weighing solids, measuring liquids) then I'm cool with having voyeurs!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my diary is open to all, but I could care less if someone has theirs on private..

OP - I think you need a strong dose of MYOB....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Everything made "public" is up to scrutiny, debate and challenge. Especially in cyber space and media forums...

Why give someone edge on my private stuff.. It does seem weird though to let strangers see what you eat and how you exercise every day if the choose to...

When I was kid, I did not want my brother, father or mother (nor my best friend) to know what I wrote in my diary... I guess I still feel the same..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I think one of the other reasons I don't' mind having it open is that other people IRL SEE me eat the food I've logged... sure, they don't all see everything I've eaten, but strangers still see me eat food. I have no problem now with eating in front of people (it used to gross me out growing up), so to me this is a very similar thing. Plus if it helps people get ideas of what kind of foods they can eat while still losing weight (i.e. any food) and how to log accurately (i.e. weighing solids, measuring liquids) then I'm cool with having voyeurs!

I think the voyeurism aspect is what bothers me about the idea. Although, it certainly bothers me less now than it did when I joined the site. When I go out to eat with other people or share a meal with them it's communal. I'm eating, they're eating, we're talking. It's all very social. But when people I don't know read my diary it's more like if a stranger was just standing outside my window watching me eat a sandwich. Idk. It seems weird to me.
  • randomtai
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Everything made "public" is up to scrutiny, debate and challenge. Especially in cyber space and media forums...

Why give someone edge on my private stuff.. It does seem weird though to let strangers see what you eat and how you exercise every day if the choose to...

When I was kid, I did not want my brother, father or mother (nor my best friend) to know what I wrote in my diary... I guess I still feel the same..

A personal journal ≠ a food journal. :huh:

What one person choose to do does not make it "weird".
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mine is open also and don't care what people think about what I eat, I don't care whether someone has their diary open or private!! ;)

Though to be my friend I do ask to have open diaries, why??....because I don't want to deal with people who have ED or eat very low calories!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my diary is open to all, but I could care less if someone has theirs on private..

OP - I think you need a strong dose of MYOB....

ditto here and I often offer for people to go take a look...I don't care.

Why do people think they have a right to see what other people eat? I don't get this sense of entitlement, or the idea there's something to hide if it is locked up. My food diary is for me to track my food. Be grateful for the open ones, sure, but don't make assumptions about the locked ones.

QFT

But on this note..I guess you people never go out and eat....and if you do it must be one of those black out places where everyone wears blindfolds...

I don't make assumptions about locked ones I don't personally care but I think some people are a bit to uptight about it.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to all because I excel at not giving a *kitten*.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. Sometimes when I have having trouble I look through other people's diaries to get ideas, but I don't track people's food regularly. I don't really care what other people eat and find it odd that people would care what I eat. I also eat a lot of sweets and always have. I am somewhat embarrassed for strangers to know that there are days when half my calories are from goodies.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. Sometimes when I have having trouble I look through other people's diaries to get ideas, but I don't track people's food regularly. I don't really care what other people eat and find it odd that people would care what I eat. I also eat a lot of sweets and always have. I am somewhat embarrassed for strangers to know that there are days when half my calories are from goodies.

why are you embarrassed by that?

• Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

why are you embarrassed by that?

Exactly. I actually WANT people to know, because I prove you can lose weight and still eat copious amounts of sweets.

• randomtai
    Options

I LOVE when I have days like that lol.