Why do people lock their diaries?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    feesha27 wrote: »
    i'm just curious, because I'm looking to see what people who have successfully lost weight are eating. I have my own solid foundation of what I should and shouldn't be eating, but it gets boring sometimes. Is it something people are afraid to share??

Why would I open it? I'm not asking for advice, it's just my own personal record.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Not just diary, why do people make their profile private? There is nothing in my profile that will enable someone to show up at my house or work so there is no need for privacy.

When people post on here I will sometimes look at their profile to figure out where they are at in this journey. Weight, age, sex, height, can all be pertinent information to understanding the person's post.

Don't you like climax? How boring? ;)

Why yes I do in fact! But maybe you meant to use the word suspense rather than climax? :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am just responding to the OP; I haven't read everyone's responses. For me, I keep track for myself. I am just getting back into tracking and frankly I don't need or want comments on what I'm eating. I know all my choices aren't the best but for now I'm concentrating on logging it all even if it puts me over.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Some ppl are very judgmental that is why. If I am asking for help with my diet in the forums and then it is still locked might be a different story.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Mostly because I am ashamed of how poorly I eat.
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What I eat now is not what I ate to lose weight so my current diary wouldn't be very helpful to anyone else as I basically eat what I want in moderation.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have over a decade of history with eating disorders and how I eat is personal and shared only between my loved ones and medical professionals. I take pictures of meals and post on TwoGrand, but having someone intimately acquainted with my vitamins and supplements and food issues makes me incredibly uncomfortable.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to be paranoid, espically with my information online. I know logically there's nothing in there that will become an issue, but keeping it private to friends only is the only way to keep that paranoid part of me quiet.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I think one of the other reasons I don't' mind having it open is that other people IRL SEE me eat the food I've logged... sure, they don't all see everything I've eaten, but strangers still see me eat food. I have no problem now with eating in front of people (it used to gross me out growing up), so to me this is a very similar thing. Plus if it helps people get ideas of what kind of foods they can eat while still losing weight (i.e. any food) and how to log accurately (i.e. weighing solids, measuring liquids) then I'm cool with having voyeurs!

I think the voyeurism aspect is what bothers me about the idea. Although, it certainly bothers me less now than it did when I joined the site. When I go out to eat with other people or share a meal with them it's communal. I'm eating, they're eating, we're talking. It's all very social. But when people I don't know read my diary it's more like if a stranger was just standing outside my window watching me eat a sandwich. Idk. It seems weird to me.

I used to not feel comfortable even eating around family in a restaurant. I didn't want my family to see me eat because it just felt gross. Didn't like watching people eat either.... I wonder if maybe I had food issues relating to body issues even at that age? But now I'll stuff my face while surrounded by strangers on the train lol. So yeah... strangers HAVE watched me eat. I eat in the middle of class, I eat walking around places.... so it's just not something that bothers me. Food isn't a private thing to me, it's just food, I enjoy it, other people eat food, so I don't feel like my privacy is being invaded if people know what I ate for breakfast kwim?

The only time I have an issue with people not having a public diary is when they post on the forums about their weight loss issues and people ask them to make their diary open so people can see if they are logging accurately or not.. and then they don't open it. That's just irritating.

I can see that point of view also. Truthfully it really doesn't bother me so much as it just seems like an odd thing to do. It used to bother me. I really wouldn't compare it to people seeing me eating on the train, which I would totally do, unless those people came and sat across from me and just intently watched me eat. :laugh:

I should start doing this, I'll make so many friends!!!!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    OP - just curious & no judgment here, but Why do YOU have YOURS set to private? ;)
  • chris42376
    chris42376 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Because I beat myself up enough as it is if I have a "bad" day and don't need people on the internet adding to it.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Not just diary, why do people make their profile private? There is nothing in my profile that will enable someone to show up at my house or work so there is no need for privacy.

When people post on here I will sometimes look at their profile to figure out where they are at in this journey. Weight, age, sex, height, can all be pertinent information to understanding the person's post.

I don't care if anyone has their food log open or not, but not having anything in the profile page baffles me.
    I have recently had several friends requests from people who only had their MFP name in their profile and nothing else. I denied the requests, because I at least would like to know things like geography, gender, approximate age and as a bonus maybe even some interests.
    I wonder if some people are either too lazy to fill anything out, or are super private. If that later is the case, I wonder how they want to be supportive friends, if they don't want to share anything about themselves.
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine is locked because I use Achievemint.com - it takes my logged activities and assigns a point value. It requires it to be password protected. I have no problem sharing the password with friends and I've posted it before in my feed.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is no one else going to point out the irony in the fact that the OP has her food diary locked?

I say to each their own, and people should do whatever works for them…

Edit: nvm @allaboutthecake beat me to it.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My food diary is for my benefit and self-accountability, it's very personal to me. As others have stated, there's also a TON of judgment and nastiness on these forums, so I like to keep those people out of my business. I'm not here for anyone else but me...it's the one of the few selfish things I do and it's working, so I'm not going to open my diary for anyone. Everyone else here has the same opportunity to learn as the next guy, with or without eyeballing my diary.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    At first the idea horrified me to have my diary made public. As time went on and I started having success AND enjoying my little splurges and wine on the weekends I thought, why not? I'll open it to my friends and let them see it if they want. I enjoy looking at what others are doing too, especially if it is working for them. What I discovered is that people eat all sorts of things and can be successful - fast food, cheat days, booze. CICO is all that matters and the biggest thing is being accountable to yourself. Log everything.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was tired of people making comments like "hey, make sure you dont eat pizza it's unhealthy for you!" or "wow, too much sugar today" and other judgey comments. I'm spot on my macros and calories and people still feel the need to chime in with some nonsense. It aint no body's bidness but mine.

I also think it's kind of creepy.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Mine is open to friends. Sometimes when I have having trouble I look through other people's diaries to get ideas, but I don't track people's food regularly. I don't really care what other people eat and find it odd that people would care what I eat. I also eat a lot of sweets and always have. I am somewhat embarrassed for strangers to know that there are days when half my calories are from goodies.

why are you embarrassed by that?

Exactly. I actually WANT people to know, because I prove you can lose weight and still eat copious amounts of sweets.

That's actually a good question @SezxyStef . Honestly the only reason I have any weight to lose is because I overdo it on sweets. I understand portion control and practice moderation when it comes to other foods. Knowing that I put on 20lbs because of cookies is somewhat depressing.

@marissafit06 we all put our weight on eating too much of stuff...no need to be embarassed.

to all others I have mine open and if you are on my friends list it is expected yours will be open too...and not for me to judge but maybe get ideas for food and tit for tat as well...if you can see mine I want to see yours...even tho I don't look often.

for me I don't understand how the judgement of a stranger can have such an impact on you personally I mean really WTF cares what some shmo from across the continent things of your dinner...but again to each their own...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    OP - just curious & no judgment here, but Why do YOU have YOURS set to private? ;)

good call @allaboutthecake

• SezxyStef
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I was tired of people making comments like "hey, make sure you dont eat pizza it's unhealthy for you!" or "wow, too much sugar today" and other judgey comments. I'm spot on my macros and calories and people still feel the need to chime in with some nonsense. It aint no body's bidness but mine.

I also think it's kind of creepy.
    you need new friends then.