Why do people lock their diaries?

Options

Replies

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Not just diary, why do people make their profile private? There is nothing in my profile that will enable someone to show up at my house or work so there is no need for privacy.

When people post on here I will sometimes look at their profile to figure out where they are at in this journey. Weight, age, sex, height, can all be pertinent information to understanding the person's post.

Don't you like climax? How boring? ;)

Why yes I do in fact! But maybe you meant to use the word suspense rather than climax? :)

:D:D Now that make me chuckle!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the same reason your diary is locked, OP.

Mine is open, because I don't care if people see what I eat. They can judge me all they want, but I've never had anyone give me grief for what's in my diary. I see no reason to keep it private, but that's just my preference.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I was tired of people making comments like "hey, make sure you dont eat pizza it's unhealthy for you!" or "wow, too much sugar today" and other judgey comments. I'm spot on my macros and calories and people still feel the need to chime in with some nonsense. It aint no body's bidness but mine.

I also think it's kind of creepy.
    you need new friends then.

If someone wants to add me, i accept them, unless they have an ED. It's usually newbies who make those comments.

I dont mind adding them though and helping them along their journey.

Still, it's creepy af when someone is like "wow, eating a lot of x lately aren't you?"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was tired of people making comments like "hey, make sure you dont eat pizza it's unhealthy for you!" or "wow, too much sugar today" and other judgey comments.

Seriously? Did your friends say this or random people?

I've never gotten comments like that and would unfriend anyone who made them.

Despite how intense the discussion in the forums get I actually don't think of them at all as a place where people would comment on food choices like that except in rare cases (or if someone were presuming to lecture others hypocritically). That's why there's such a backlash when the occasional person posts an obnoxious thread about how crappy their friends allegedly eat or the like--it just seems contrary to the culture, IMO.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Jw, are people who are saying they would constantly get comments on their diaries talking about random forum people or their friends list? Because I've gotten zero comments on my diary in my 300+ days of logging, and I eat a LOT of "junk." I also don't complete my diary and thus my diary never gets posted to my feed.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was tired of people making comments like "hey, make sure you dont eat pizza it's unhealthy for you!" or "wow, too much sugar today" and other judgey comments.

yeah, usually newbies. When i would complete my diary for the day would comment on it. it was just kinda... weird.

Either way, i log sporadically now anyway since i've been in maintenance for roughly 3 years. It would probably just be empty and not useful now anyway.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I purposefully locked mine for no other reason than I wanted it private. I don't think I ever looked at any ones food or exercise diary simply because I have no interest. I use MFP for tracking my own habits to maintain a healthy lifestyle and to encourage and motivate others.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

It's never happened to me, either, but I did see someone on my news feed get a "where are the fruits and veggies?" earlier today. Uh, up your *kitten*? :smile: People can be nosy, but like I said, I've never had that come up before, and my diary is far from perfect.
  • Bluebird777
    Bluebird777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but I did hesitate at first because of worry of rude comments. But if I ever get a rude comment, whatever. I don't have to care what others think as long as what I do works for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    OP - just curious & no judgment here, but Why do YOU have YOURS set to private? ;)

good call @allaboutthecake

oh snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's never happened to me, either, but I did see someone on my news feed get a "where are the fruits and veggies?" earlier today. Uh, up your *kitten*? :smile: People can be nosy, but like I said, I've never had that come up before, and my diary is far from perfect.

ditto here but I think that shows you can still reach your goals and not eat "perfectly" or "exercise perfectly"

it's a good thing esp for new folks to see.
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options

Maybe people should just stop completing their diaries, change the setting so that this doesn't get posted on their news feed, or stop adding random newbies? lol.

Also a bit OT but I'm always perplexed why people even bother to comment on those "so and so completed her diary and was under her calories!" posts because like..... good for them? I don't care if my friends are eating below their goals every day since I know I don't always eat below my goals, but I'm also not interested in scrolling through hundreds of these posts to check out hundreds of logs lol.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Maybe people should just stop completing their diaries, change the setting so that this doesn't get posted on their news feed, or stop adding random newbies? lol.

Hey, they add me. >_>

but yes, i find that it's usually the people who "complete" their diary and it's posted on the feed that people see.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because I don't look at my friends' diaries, and they have no business looking at mine. I do not eat "clean" and have recently stopped drinking and smoking. So by God, I will have a giant bowl of ice cream or a Krispy Kreme if I feel like it. And I don't feel the need to explain that to anyone. Plus, everyone has "bad" days, and if they are committed to a certain way of eating, those bad days will probably stress them out enough without random strangers piling on. With my diary closed, I can be more honest with myself about the good and bad, and not deal with the drama.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think mine is open. Occasionally I'll glance at someone else's -- not for criticism purposes (tbh, I don't care what you're eating nor would I degrade anyone over it!), but because I get bored eating the same stuff and other people often have great ideas!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Nobody locks their diaries. They are locked by default. One must unlock them.

I was here for months before I knew about locked/unlocked diaries because I'm not here for anyone else, I'm here for me.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Hey, they add me. >_>

but yes, i find that it's usually the people who "complete" their diary and it's posted on the feed that people see.

I know I get some newbies adding me but I also explicitly state that I will not accept FR if they are blank and that I don't accept people who eat VLCD. I do get some people who add me with private diaries but that doesn't bother me too much... I'll do another clean up at some point this summer, and if I spot people I never interact with who have closed diaries I'd probably delete them since I can't tell if they eat properly. I don't get many FR from people asking for help, usually just people saying they liked something I said, or they are looking for other female lifters, others who do IIFYM, or they're looking for motivation and such.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm brutally honest w myself. I don't have a public diary cause i don't need any help loosing weight other then mfp logging.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Because some people don't like putting their private business on the World Wide Web? It's fine to do it, but hardly confounding why anyone wouldn't.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Privacy is no joke these days.

There are people with nothing better to do with their lives, and if you are like me and have opinions, then you are opening yourself up to those living in their parents basement, ready, willing, and able to begin doxing you.

From Urban Dictionary:
    Doxing is a technique of tracing someone or gather information about an individual using sources on the internet. Its name is derived from “Documents” or “Docx”. Doxing method is based purely on the ability of the hacker to recognize valuable information about his target and use this information to his benefit. It is also based around the idea that, “The more you know about your target, the easier it will be to find his or her flaws”

They will go after your employer, your family, and bully you into silence. I refuse to allow that to happen (Again), so I am locked down in everything that I do, and I will not be silenced by anyone.