The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Replies

• I was scared that I'd read the comments and find a bunch of woo-woo pushers and and anti-science folks but that's not the case! Man, I am glad to see these replies.
    ... she actually seems to be a nice person. She's annoying, sure, but she doesn't attack people for absolutely no reason other than to promote herself.

I'm sorry, but lying to people and purposefully misleading means you are not a nice person. If you use kind words and a gentle voice to trick me, it kinda makes you even worse!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I liked the article so I checked out Science Babes facebook page and it is all attacks on Food Babe. Lame

You must not have scrolled down far enough. I read through a lot of her page and there are lots of other good things on there other than Food Babe.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I liked the article so I checked out Science Babes facebook page and it is all attacks on Food Babe. Lame

You haven't read very far then... because she does go into other things... like Petco's homeopathic remedy for dogs that is actually very bad for dogs... She tries to not harp on Food Babe all that much because there is just so much more to this anti-science craze than her... She harped on the anti-vaccine movement quite a bit too when the measles outbreak happened in her own backyard.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Also, you can post whatever you want on Science Babe's page and you won't be blocked (well, I suppose you would if you made a death threat or something against FB's policies). Say ANYTHING on Foodbabe's page that doesn't comport with supporting her 100 percent - even asking a mere question, will get you booted right off the page. That says a lot.

You can post anything on SciBabe's page as long as "you aren't a dick" (her words not mine)... ;) Which is very much unlike Food Babe.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    The majority of people prefer to be sheep. They don't care if they're being led by wolves as long as they don't hve to think for themselves, because hinking is too hard for them.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    yes!
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Who is more of an a'hole: Food Babe or that Banana girl?

I'm so glad this article was posted. This just made my day.

Once I realized who you were talking about, it hit me that my mother in law tries to follow banana girl. I had to explain to her that each banana contains right around 100 calories and she would NOT lose weight this way! As far as who is more of an a-hole? Food babe hands down! My mom (food babe follower) is constantly spewing her trash about don't eat this, you'll get cancer or how her non dairy, gluten free, vegan no sugar diet is the best thing ever. My MIL just thinks it's possible to eat ridiculous amounts of fruit and veggies and get skinny.

.... Or maybe my MIL is just less annoying.....
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    I was scared that I'd read the comments and find a bunch of woo-woo pushers and and anti-science folks but that's not the case! Man, I am glad to see these replies.
    ... she actually seems to be a nice person. She's annoying, sure, but she doesn't attack people for absolutely no reason other than to promote herself.

I'm sorry, but lying to people and purposefully misleading means you are not a nice person. If you use kind words and a gentle voice to trick me, it kinda makes you even worse!

Everyone has done both of these things at some point in their lives, whether they're willing to admit it or not. Does does that mean no nice people exist? Who's to say that she doesn't actually believes what she preaches? She seems completely genuine to me, even though I find her completely disagreeable. She seems to be a nice person, albeit misguided and kind of stupid.

And, you're not a nice person for making me defend The Food Babe.
  • lol, I'm sorry!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    So, Acg67 -- how long since someone played the Shill Card and accused you of being on Monsanto's payroll? I get that all the time.

Thanks for posting that here. I was retweeting that Gawker piece all over the place today. My cousin was sharing Hari's garbage on Facebook and I was pretty blunt with her about her tastes in gurus.

I am pretty sick and tired of debating the faux-benefits or organics and non-GMOs with people who know buggerall about plant science or biotechnology and yet swear up and down that not a molecule of any "frankenfood" will ever enter their bodies. People with no knowledge of science are also claiming they've sorted the bee problem, the monarch butterfly problem -- and while they continue to lean on 3-year old "research" posted on websites with very green-sounding names, the real research has continued, and real science advocates are finally starting to drown out some of the Food Babe Army's noise: @ChowBabe; Kavin Senapathy; The Genetic Literacy Project. Even Bill Nye is on the right track now, after shocking his fans with some real tinfoil-hat views on GMOs.

I was talking to a woman about this, and she asserted, "Monsanto is trying to kill us all with that pesticide that's killing all the bees!" I stifled a chuckle and said, "That pesticide has been found to have little, if any effect on the bees, and by the way, the pesticide you're talking about isn't made by Monsanto. IT'S MADE BY BAYER."

I don't like to make snap judgments about people, but anyone who is on the Food Babe side of any debate is willfully ignorant.

I've been called a shill plenty just on this site, shill for big sugar, GMOs etc

It is funny there are def people that believe in what the food babe is saying and advising, here on this forum yet none have spoken up.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member

Once I realized who you were talking about, it hit me that my mother in law tries to follow banana girl. I had to explain to her that each banana contains right around 100 calories and she would NOT lose weight this way! As far as who is more of an a-hole? Food babe hands down! My mom (food babe follower) is constantly spewing her trash about don't eat this, you'll get cancer or how her non dairy, gluten free, vegan no sugar diet is the best thing ever. My MIL just thinks it's possible to eat ridiculous amounts of fruit and veggies and get skinny.

.... Or maybe my MIL is just less annoying.....

Said no one, in the history of ever.

• fangcat623
    fangcat623 Posts: 22 Member
    Nothing sells like fear mongering. It almost sells better than sex!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    I don't know if anyone posted this, but here is her response.
    http://foodbabe.com/response-to-gawker-the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-*kitten*/
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    I don't know if anyone posted this, but here is her response.
    http://foodbabe.com/response-to-gawker-the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-*kitten*/

Where is the barf emoticon?

"She's a scientist, therefore part of the problem, I am not a scientist, but I will tell you why it is wrong."

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Now I'm *kitten* fascinated with the Banana Girl.

She seriously wears a dried-out slice of grapefruit as a necklace?

Also, if you look at the photos from her social media feeds, you can actually see the Photoshop fails. She looks awful.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I have been banned from her facebook page... I'm going to guess it's because I called her a hypocrite because of her "shill" finger pointing... as she is a shill for many a "natural and organic" products...

But it's ok for her to hock over priced juice and other products because "her heart is in the right place"... this would be true if the "right place" was in the willfully ignorant peoples wallets.

Yup, but those of us that choose a scientific career are lying if we say it was to help people. We obviously want POWER!

Now let me go write my scientist congressperson......oh...wait....

Made me think of this:

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o1_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o3_r2_500.gif

I remember watching this and agreeing, although it must be said that some of them are medical doctors. It must also be said that many engineers and scientists seem to have the personality of a dry sponge, so there's that.

Hey!
    I'm engineer and I've got quite the personality! =P

I read the article this AM and then shared with my FL. It made me smile.
    Now if Freelee would go away
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Interesting! Thanks for posting.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I have been banned from her facebook page... I'm going to guess it's because I called her a hypocrite because of her "shill" finger pointing... as she is a shill for many a "natural and organic" products...

But it's ok for her to hock over priced juice and other products because "her heart is in the right place"... this would be true if the "right place" was in the willfully ignorant peoples wallets.

Yup, but those of us that choose a scientific career are lying if we say it was to help people. We obviously want POWER!

Now let me go write my scientist congressperson......oh...wait....

Made me think of this:

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o1_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o3_r2_500.gif

Ha! NDT is my physics crush!
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Ugh, I have seen articles from this Food Babe girl online before and they have always come across as super annoying. If you want to eat "naturally", fine, but I really hate when people throw around words like "toxic" when they really don't know what they're talking about.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Banana Girl?

I'd Google it, but I'm at work and I'm afraid what Google Images might bring up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644730/Freelee-Banana-Girl-eats-2-kilos-potatoes-ONE-sitting-credits-unusual-diet-not-strict-workout-regime-incredibly-lean-figure.html

ETA: her claim is that eating mono-foods (like 20 bananas for breakfast) causes fat loss, but neglects to mention her long distance running every day.

She's the atheist's nightmare ;)