Women Should Train Differently Then Men

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    NO.

And let me explain why.

First off, 5 days lifting a week leaves no time for appropriate rest. You will experience fatigue and fast.

Second, as women, generally speaking, our lower is naturally significantly stronger than our upper. So you can squat a car but bench press a kleenex. If you keep that schedule, the inbalance will continue.

Third, abs and fat loss occur in the kitchen. Cardio burns fat, lifting builds muscles (which over the long term burn more fat as well).

Fourth, how practical is that inbalance? So you can squat a car, but can't carry groceries?

Lastly, IMHO that whole "men and women should train different" is hooey. I do all the same stuff in the weight room as the bros (and often out-deadlift them. they have dubbed me their squat queen. but I digress.) The only real difference is visually, because testosterone and stuff.

Suggestion? Read New Rules of Lifting. The whole series is very good, as it uses science (eep!), but explains it so almost anyone can understand. This dude makes sense. Stronglifts is also a very good program. But 5 days, no rest? Yikes. You would see fast, newbie results...then poop out, plateau, and crash from fatigue.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    No. Women should train like men.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So the video people don't think that men wish to eliminate fat from all over their bodies? Or do they suggest that fat elimination functions differently from women to men?

Why do they believe women want to be weak in their upper bodies?

From what I understood is that many women are afraid to lift weights because of the old "I'll get bulky" thought which we know isn't true ... so their point of focus is that women turn to Cardio more so over weights which lead to them to have loser skin than those who weight train. So I believe their point isn't to suggest that the fat elimination functions are differently for men, however, most men not all like to have a more Built upper body and of course some men like thicker muscular legs as well. While some women prefer to be slender up top and curvy towards the bottom. Note: All bodies are like engines and the more you build your bigger muscles the more fat you torch in general so men can apply this rule as well. It was just targeted more towards "why" women should build muscle in the lower half ... sorry to ramble on or if I repeated myself in any way ;)

perhaps we should spend more time educating women out of the 19th century baloney instead of trying to "train" them differently.

Pick a goal.
    Pick a program that leads you to that goal.
    Train hard.
    Achieve goal.

That's how that works- not gender specific training.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think that is a load of crap personally. Women naturally have strong quads/hams/glutes so why train them more than upper body where we are weaker.

I can easily squat 1.5x my body weight but have yet to bench my body weight (getting there 20lbs away)

train your entire body. For example yesterday was OHP day tomorrow is DL day...notice upper then lower...then BP day then squat day again...upper and lower...Wendler knows what he is talking about and these people who say women and men have to train differently need a good kick.

It's like saying women "tone" and men build muscle please....
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Being a "YouTube Junkie" doesn't make any material on the internet healthy or true.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh my.... excuse me.... bahahaha

This guy is completely full of *kitten*. He is a crock. He is the dr. oz of the youtube fitness industry.

It's a shame since i think he's hot because hes asian and has muscles, but he is not someone i would every take advice from. Under any circumstance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No. Women should train like men.

no.

people should train for their program.

it's not any more a "man's" program than it is a womans program.

it's just a program- set for a specific goal or out come.
    Pick a goal.
    Set a path that gets you there.
    You're programming should support it.

None of this has ANYTHING to do with gender.
  • Danielle721007
    Danielle721007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    4QThank you all for your helpful comments and opinions ... I can see the logic as to why you should balance your training with upper and lower body. That is how I train currently ... however, I think the purpose of the video is being slightly misunderstood so I have attached the video to refer to in case I'm not explaining what I saw properly.

What is told is when you focus on your lower body it is those muscles that burn the most calories the "fastest" hence a faster metabolism.

http://youtu.be/H1a9HD_A
  • Danielle721007
    Options
    Being a "YouTube Junkie" doesn't make any material on the internet healthy or true. [/quote

Correct ... I never said it was ... that is why I posted this for opinions of others.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I want strong muscular arms.
    I want a strong muscular back.
    I want strong muscular legs.
    I want a nice round booty.
    and I love my abs.

Total body workout for me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbgWAsmgfw

I love this parody. His towel workout was the funniest thing ever. dude's a fraud.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    4QThank you all for your helpful comments and opinions ... I can see the logic as to why you should balance your training with upper and lower body. That is how I train currently ... however, I think the purpose of the video is being slightly misunderstood so I have attached the video to refer to in case I'm not explaining what I saw properly.

What is told is when you focus on your lower body it is those muscles that burn the most calories the "fastest" hence a faster metabolism.

Not enough to make a significant difference.

Pick a goal - train smart for that goal.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

http://youtu.be/H1a9HD_A

so basically it's the opposite of "friends don't let friends skip leg day"....*smh*

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

While muscle tissue is more metabolically active than fat, the difference is pretty small on a per-pound basis. An extra leg day vs. an extra arm day would have no real impact on your overall metabolic rate. This argument is just broscience.

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I seriously need an eye roll gif. Anyone? I'm at work. Help a sister out.

No honey. Just, no.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Gender specific training is pretty much a big sales pitch. While we differ in hormones, physiology of skeletal muscle is still the same. What's not being addressed here is if you're in a calorie deficit (especially a female), the chances of increasing muscle mass is pretty nil. What's going to matter more than anything else is sets, reps and resistance used.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I seriously need an eye roll gif. Anyone? I'm at work. Help a sister out.

No honey. Just, no.
    tumblr_mprqdujNID1spkxqto1_500_zpsxfujskg7.gif
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Danielle721007
    Options
    I really don't understand why some people are being rude with their comments or opinions. I am on my own fitness journey just like everyone else and I'm trying to find a system that works for me. And absolutely not everything I read, hear or see on the internet is true but how else do you suggest I educate myself without having a lot of money to pay for a personal trainer or nutritionist ? The internet is the next best thing ... I am making healthier eating choices and I weight train all body parts during the week so I apologize if some aspects of the video made sense to me and I seem ignorant, I'm just trying to learn.

To those who have been helpful with what you utilize, I thank you ! :smile: