Women Should Train Differently Then Men

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why some people are being rude with their comments or opinions.

There is your problem. The difference is you posted an "opinionated" video. People are replying with actual facts.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    4QThank you all for your helpful comments and opinions ... I can see the logic as to why you should balance your training with upper and lower body. That is how I train currently ... however, I think the purpose of the video is being slightly misunderstood so I have attached the video to refer to in case I'm not explaining what I saw properly.

What is told is when you focus on your lower body it is those muscles that burn the most calories the "fastest" hence a faster metabolism.

http://youtu.be/H1a9HD_A
    Working larger muscles does need more energy requirement. But guess what the next largest muscles are after legs and glutes? The back muscles. It comprises about a 3/5 of your upper body (upper and lower back). Why neglect muscles that not only help to keep you upright, but require high resistance loads to work it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why some people are being rude with their comments or opinions. I am on my own fitness journey just like everyone else and I'm trying to find a system that works for me. And absolutely not everything I read, hear or see on the internet is true but how else do you suggest I educate myself without having a lot of money to pay for a personal trainer or nutritionist ? The internet is the next best thing ... I am making healthier eating choices and I weight train all body parts during the week so I apologize if some aspects of the video made sense to me and I seem ignorant, I'm just trying to learn.

To those who have been helpful with what you utilize, I thank you ! :smile:
    so what do you all think ?

you asked so we answered....I didnt see much rudeness actually.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ? The internet is the next best thing ... I am making healthier eating choices and I weight train all body parts during the week so I apologize if some aspects of the video made sense to me and I seem ignorant, I'm just trying to learn.

what's your goal specific goal-

we can give you more specific validated advice if we know what your actual goal is.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    women should train for health - ie such that muscles are developed in a reasonably balanced way to prevent weird biomechanics and vulnerabilities.

that said, as far as aesthetics goes, it's personal preference. i think people can develop their upper body to a point they're happy with (that's balanced, idk what minimum level that would be) and then just maintain that if they want without necessarily progressing in weight.

women's legs DO typically carry way more fat than men's bc of hormones, and if people aren't happy with that, i think it's smart to treat that a bit differently (ie focusing on building up more muscle there to firm things up)
  • Danielle721007
    Danielle721007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I really don't understand why some people are being rude with their comments or opinions.

There is your problem. The difference is you posted an "opinionated" video. People are replying with actual facts.

Yes I did ask for Opinions. I just assumed people were reading this to be helpful not input hurtful opinions on whether they thought it was stupid. That's all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yes I did ask for Opinions. I just assumed people were reading this to be helpful not input hurtful opinions on whether they thought it was stupid. That's all.

That's the internet, sweetie. When facts are present, opinions are no longer valid.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    women should train for health
    women should train how ever they want- to meet their goals.

So. Stop being butt hurt and tell us what you're goal is so we can actually help you. Because other wise we are just going to continue to sit around and argue about why we think that training program sucks.

You say you don't have that much information- let us help you- but we need to know what your goal is in order to do that efficiently.
  • Danielle721007
    Options

That's the internet, sweetie. When facts are present, opinions are no longer valid.

True true ... You have a point and I agree. Thanks.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think you should train with balance. What good is a lower body that can push a lot of weight if you don't have the upper body strength to keep your back safe?
  • Danielle721007
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

So. Stop being butt hurt and tell us what you're goal is so we can actually help you. Because other wise we are just going to continue to sit around and argue about why we think that training program sucks.

You say you don't have that much information- let us help you- but we need to know what your goal is in order to do that efficiently.

I'm not "butt hurt" but it's like really... Anyways thank you but at this point in the discussion I'm over it. I'll figure it out on my own.
  • SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    no.....just no
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lesson one - don't watch or read anything that says "short pack to six packs"...there is no short cut it takes hard work, dedication, and consistent logging and adherence to macros...if you could take a short cut and get a six pack then why doesn't everyone have one come beach season?????????
  • Danielle721007
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    I think you should train with balance. What good is a lower body that can push a lot of weight if you don't have the upper body strength to keep your back safe?

I see your point but that's why a person would lift heavy on the upper body day not just 10 pounders lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So the video people don't think that men wish to eliminate fat from all over their bodies? Or do they suggest that fat elimination functions differently from women to men?

Why do they believe women want to be weak in their upper bodies?

From what I understood is that many women are afraid to lift weights because of the old "I'll get bulky" thought which we know isn't true ... so their point of focus is that women turn to Cardio more so over weights which lead to them to have loser skin than those who weight train. So I believe their point isn't to suggest that the fat elimination functions are differently for men, however, most men not all like to have a more Built upper body and of course some men like thicker muscular legs as well. While some women prefer to be slender up top and curvy towards the bottom. Note: All bodies are like engines and the more you build your bigger muscles the more fat you torch in general so men can apply this rule as well. It was just targeted more towards "why" women should build muscle in the lower half ... sorry to ramble on or if I repeated myself in any way ;)

so its OK to get bulky on the lower half but not upper half???

*logic fail*
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'm not "butt hurt" but it's like really... Anyways thank you but at this point in the discussion I'm over it. I'll figure it out on my own.

OP asks for people's opinion. OP is given people's opinion. OP doesn't like people's opinions and claims that people are rude.

Looks like there might not be a 'mean people thread' though.

Fairly typical MFP Forum script. Can we have something original please?
  • tomatoey
    edited April 2015
    Options

well yeah but i'm saying if someone's neglecting their posterior chain or whatever and setting things up for weird imbalances that is not a good situation to be in. they're free to do it, obviously
  • tomatoey
    edited April 2015
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »

yeah this.

BUT i'm sure there's some happy medium between optimizing health and leaning towards a particular aesthetic
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I really don't understand why some people are being rude with their comments or opinions. I am on my own fitness journey just like everyone else and I'm trying to find a system that works for me. And absolutely not everything I read, hear or see on the internet is true but how else do you suggest I educate myself without having a lot of money to pay for a personal trainer or nutritionist ? The internet is the next best thing ... I am making healthier eating choices and I weight train all body parts during the week so I apologize if some aspects of the video made sense to me and I seem ignorant, I'm just trying to learn.

To those who have been helpful with what you utilize, I thank you ! :smile:

no one is being rude, they just have a different point of reference then you do.

disagreement does not equal rude....

• JoRocka
    Options

well yeah but i'm saying if someone's neglecting their posterior chain or whatever and setting things up for weird imbalances that is not a good situation to be in. they're free to do it, obviously

I agree with that... but you specifically said women should train for health.

But the reality is- women should train like men do- like ANY SUCCESSFUL ATHLETE does- for a purpose. A goal.

And yes- general health and wellness is a goal- that's fine- a generic over all lifting program is fine too.