Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Their suggestion for a workout plan was like this:

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 2 - Hamstrings / Core
    Day 3 - Upper Body (all muscles)
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

Just though I'd clear that up :)
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

I am not the one swearing, you are...

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I think the point is we're genetically inferior.
    I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.

giphy.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't read all the reply's, sorry if this is a repeat.

My take on suggesting training in this way is the concept that muscle burns more calories. Our largest muscle groups happen to be the lower half of our bodies, so by training those muscle groups more heavily you'll burn more calories as those muscles develop. That's just where my head went with this. I'm not sure why it would be more specific to women than men other than women don't like to work out their upper body as much in fear of bulking up. Oh the many myths of weight training lol Just my thoughts.

Thank you ! lol You got exactly what my point was ... I never said the program was right but that's the same concept I gathered watching the video lol

Right, but the concept is wrong. That's the main point.

Ok, so that's fine. Anything else I haven't been told ?

if you really want some solid advice, it would be nice to know what your goals are....

Well my goals are simple to lose an excess amount of body fat. I want to lose fat, not just weight for the number on the scale and add muscle. Right now, I am following my calorie deficient goal and clean eating. I am exercising 5 times a week and this is my current break down.
    Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 3 - Upper and Lower Back
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

Days 6 and 7 are Active Rest days.

(And while I know I am going to be critiqued on how my work outs are set up - it is what it is)

I am heavier in my lower half of my body which is why I found the video interesting.

Excellent. Although I am leaving work so I'm limited. You're on a good track. Calorie deficit will get you the weight loss. Training will make sure you optimize fat loss.

Being said, we collectively are going to recommend strong cruces, new rules of lifting, starting strength or strong lifts.

Getting in a proven beginner program will go a long way for you.

Also, ironically, I'd suggest doing two leg days instead of just one if you chose not to switch to one of those aforementioned programs.
  • Danielle721007
    Danielle721007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

My take on suggesting training in this way is the concept that muscle burns more calories. Our largest muscle groups happen to be the lower half of our bodies, so by training those muscle groups more heavily you'll burn more calories as those muscles develop. That's just where my head went with this. I'm not sure why it would be more specific to women than men other than women don't like to work out their upper body as much in fear of bulking up. Oh the many myths of weight training lol Just my thoughts.

Thank you ! lol You got exactly what my point was ... I never said the program was right but that's the same concept I gathered watching the video lol

if you really want some solid advice, it would be nice to know what your goals are....

Well my goals are simple to lose an excess amount of body fat. I want to lose fat, not just weight for the number on the scale and add muscle. Right now, I am following my calorie deficient goal and clean eating. I am exercising 5 times a week and this is my current break down.
    Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

(And while I know I am going to be critiqued on how my work outs are set up - it is what it is)

I am heavier in my lower half of my body which is why I found the video interesting.

^ does that program incorporate compound movements = squat, deadlift, barbell bench press, etc..

Is it a structured one, or did you design it on your own?

Yes it includes all 3 squats, deadlifts (I just started about a week ago) and barbell bench press. I am increasing my weight in each as I get stronger. Right now all 3 I am lifting and squatting is about 80 pounds each. I got it from BodyBuilding.com
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Train the way you want for your goals. A good well rounded strength and fitness is good. If you reach a point you like, then it's ok to be in maintenance in some ways and continue to improve in other ways (whatever you want). It's your life, your time, your body, etc. Also hip thrusts are good.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

Excellent. Although I am leaving work so I'm limited. You're on a good track. Calorie deficit will get you the weight loss. Training will make sure you optimize fat loss.

Being said, we collectively are going to recommend strong cruces, new rules of lifting, starting strength or strong lifts.

Getting in a proven beginner program will go a long way for you.

Also, ironically, I'd suggest doing two leg days instead of just one if you chose not to switch to one of those aforementioned programs.

Agree on the 2 day leg day.

OP the program good starting program!! Good luck.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

^ does that program incorporate compound movements = squat, deadlift, barbell bench press, etc..

Is it a structured one, or did you design it on your own?

Yes it includes all 3 squats, deadlifts (I just started about a week ago) and barbell bench press. I am increasing my weight in each as I get stronger. Right now all 3 I am lifting and squatting is about 80 pounds each. I got it from BodyBuilding.com

Honestly, I think your current track is WAY better than the one that the video you posted suggests. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.
    I apologize if you were being sarcastic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

^^^^^ This x 100%

Seriously that comment was near strike worthy and your a mod. Sorry but it was really offensive.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    OP, now you brought in clean eating....lmao ...runs....ducks....and hides while eating ice cream.

Is that when you brush off the cookie you just dropped on the floor before eating it?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

^^^^^ This x 100%

Seriously that comment was near strike worthy and your a mod. Sorry but it was really offensive.
    Uh, the correction was to denote the difference between "physical" and "genetic" NOT to support that males are superior over females.
    Genetically a brother and sister share the same traits. Physically they may not. THAT was the point.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    NO.

And let me explain why.

First off, 5 days lifting a week leaves no time for appropriate rest. You will experience fatigue and fast.

Second, as women, generally speaking, our lower is naturally significantly stronger than our upper. So you can squat a car but bench press a kleenex. If you keep that schedule, the inbalance will continue.

Third, abs and fat loss occur in the kitchen. Cardio burns fat, lifting builds muscles (which over the long term burn more fat as well).

Fourth, how practical is that inbalance? So you can squat a car, but can't carry groceries?

Lastly, IMHO that whole "men and women should train different" is hooey. I do all the same stuff in the weight room as the bros (and often out-deadlift them. they have dubbed me their squat queen. but I digress.) The only real difference is visually, because testosterone and stuff.

Suggestion? Read New Rules of Lifting. The whole series is very good, as it uses science (eep!), but explains it so almost anyone can understand. This dude makes sense. Stronglifts is also a very good program. But 5 days, no rest? Yikes. You would see fast, newbie results...then poop out, plateau, and crash from fatigue.

This!!!! This poster is absolutely correct. I love my lower body workout days because it's easier for me....doesn't mean I can ignore how weak I am in upper body. Can deadlift, back squat and front squat moderately heavy (I'm only 8 weeks in!) but can barely bench press a 45 lb barbell. Trainer told that's normal- women naturally have less upper body strength, but we can work to gain it....I have already toned my upper body nicely, and can do pushups and pullups with much less difficulty.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    OP, now you brought in clean eating....lmao ...runs....ducks....and hides while eating ice cream.

Is that when you brush off the cookie you just dropped on the floor before eating it?

Brush it off, I thought the 5 second rule still applied.....darn it.
  • hypatiaswan
    hypatiaswan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think people have individual bodies and we all have individual needs. And people STORE FAT differently depending ON THEIR GENES. Instead of making everything a women/men thing, people should work out in ways that meets their needs and achieves their own individual goals for their own individual bodies. Can't stand the whole gender "man vs. woman" thing. meh...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    kellyj0729 wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »
    NO.

And let me explain why.

First off, 5 days lifting a week leaves no time for appropriate rest. You will experience fatigue and fast.

Second, as women, generally speaking, our lower is naturally significantly stronger than our upper. So you can squat a car but bench press a kleenex. If you keep that schedule, the inbalance will continue.

Third, abs and fat loss occur in the kitchen. Cardio burns fat, lifting builds muscles (which over the long term burn more fat as well).

Fourth, how practical is that inbalance? So you can squat a car, but can't carry groceries?

Lastly, IMHO that whole "men and women should train different" is hooey. I do all the same stuff in the weight room as the bros (and often out-deadlift them. they have dubbed me their squat queen. but I digress.) The only real difference is visually, because testosterone and stuff.

Suggestion? Read New Rules of Lifting. The whole series is very good, as it uses science (eep!), but explains it so almost anyone can understand. This dude makes sense. Stronglifts is also a very good program. But 5 days, no rest? Yikes. You would see fast, newbie results...then poop out, plateau, and crash from fatigue.

This!!!! This poster is absolutely correct. I love my lower body workout days because it's easier for me....doesn't mean I can ignore how weak I am in upper body. Can deadlift, back squat and front squat moderately heavy (I'm only 8 weeks in!) but can barely bench press a 45 lb barbell. Trainer told that's normal- women naturally have less upper body strength, but we can work to gain it....I have already toned my upper body nicely, and can do pushups and pullups with much less difficulty.
    I train 5 days a week on a split. One body part a week. That's PLENTY of time to rest. It's different when you're talking about doing the same LIFTING workout 5 days in a row. Cardio can be done 5 days in a row. Now it does matter about intensity of the workout. HIT would probably need a day in between each workout for adequate recovery.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

Also, yes, the initial post was sarcasm.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Did Beast Mode come back yet?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should apologize for being condescending and disrespectful to every woman in this thread who in no way physically inferior to a man. Men and women are different in where there they tend to hold the majority of their strength. A mod asserting that men are physically superior in a thread like this so over the line inappropriate it should seriously make you consider if attaching your bonafides to everything you post is wise.

Because if I saw this as your client and knew you felt that men were physically superior to women, I would not way want to train with you. You would do exactly what thread of this titles says -- women train differently then men because gender, not goals. Which is craptastic.

There are several women in this thread who are your physical equal. If not physically superior. Period.

Niner was talking specifically about the physiological differences between men and women. For example, difference in hormone quantities (i.e. low-testosterone for men could be high for women) and hip structure. Niner wasn't being demeaning to women, nor has he ever on MFP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think people have individual bodies and we all have individual needs. And people STORE FAT differently depending ON THEIR GENES. Instead of making everything a women/men thing, people should work out in ways that meets their needs and achieves their own individual goals for their own individual bodies. Can't stand the whole gender "man vs. woman" thing. meh...

Everyone stores fat by consuming more than they burn.....unless you know someone that stores fat in a deficit ...???
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't need an apology. And so- thank you for white knighting women- but we dont' need it.

I understood very well what he was saying. And practically speaking- we ARE physically inferior unfortunately. That doesn't make men inherently better- it just means we will always be the weaker sex on a "all variables being equal" kind of test.

I know there are men that I am unequivocally stronger than- but those guys don't train. Any man that did my training program would far surpass me in a matter of months.

It's a fair point- perhaps not well worded- but he isn't WRONG.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't need an apology. And so- thank you for white knighting women- but we dont' need it.

I understood very well what he was saying. And practically speaking- we ARE physically inferior unfortunately. That doesn't make men inherently better- it just means we will always be the weaker sex on a "all variables being equal" kind of test.

I know there are men that I am unequivocally stronger than- but those guys don't train. Any man that did my training program would far surpass me in a matter of months.

It's a fair point- perhaps not well worded- but he isn't WRONG.

I'm so glad you said this. I agree. Completely.