Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    @SuzyH & @HappyTrails7 You both Are better about the cola than I am. I'm working back from Diet Pepsi intake well over 200oz per day and have myself down to below 50oz most days -- Just crazy; I'll get there with you two leading the way. :s

Standenvernet, you're 3/4 there, you can do it.

One thing that helped me was a challenge from my son. If anyone is interested here's a link to that post.

A Son's Motivation

Fifty plus (or so) support group - Click here to join

HappyTrails, really enjoyed the son's motivation post! :smile:
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    So excited! I lost a whole pound this week.... bringing me to one-half pound away from hitting"normal" BMI <3

Off to our Tuesday night swimming :) I agree with Nuffer that it is a great way to work out, but I'm more aligned skill wise with Butbygrace and do a mean doggy paddle LOL. I started at15 laps in an hour and a half and now I'm up to25 laps in an hour !!! I won't win any competitions but it's fun to see my lap numbers and strength grow each week or two.

Hope you all had a GREAT Tuesday :)

Tami
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    So excited! I lost a whole pound this week.... bringing me to one-half pound away from hitting"normal" BMI <3

Off to our Tuesday night swimming :) I agree with Nuffer that it is a great way to work out, but I'm more aligned skill wise with Butbygrace and do a mean doggy paddle LOL. I started at15 laps in an hour and a half and now I'm up to25 laps in an hour !!! I won't win any competitions but it's fun to see my lap numbers and strength grow each week or two.

Tami

Yay! You've done so well.

I would do laps, or try to, if the pool was warm. It's not even cool, it's down right cold! Senior pool is warm but no lap lanes. May try it anyway if it's not crowded.
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    We returned home this evening from our trip to the Masters. We stayed at a rental home on Lake Murray near Columbia, SC. The trip home was 765 miles and took us 12 hours and 15 minutes. I just took a look at my net calories for the 5 day trip and I kept them under 2000/day. Tomorrow morning I hope the scale isn't too unkind to me. I'm hoping I gained only 2 pounds, expect a 3 pound gain, and will be back 100% on track regardless of what happened.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Tami

Swim for the win!
    The only thing I can think of that's a more full-body exercise is rowing. And rowers are punks because they're afraid to get wet! (not really)
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link for the zero to 1 mile swim @ nuffer
    Thanks.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    We returned home this evening from our trip to the Masters. We stayed at a rental home on Lake Murray near Columbia, SC. The trip home was 765 miles and took us 12 hours and 15 minutes. I just took a look at my net calories for the 5 day trip and I kept them under 2000/day. Tomorrow morning I hope the scale isn't too unkind to me. I'm hoping I gained only 2 pounds, expect a 3 pound gain, and will be back 100% on track regardless of what happened.

Glad you're back home safe and sound. And getting back on track is what it's all about. That's the key to success.
    Have a great day!
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good morning all....just joined the group. I'm 52, will be 53 in July. I have 5 kids and 6 grandkids (#7 will be arriving in October). Decided last August that it was about time I started being a little "selfish" and taking care of myself. Generally by the end of a day after taking care of everyone else's needs there wasn't much energy left for me. I still have a way to go learning to say no a little more, but I'm getting there
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good morning, and welcome, memer101! Congrats on the grandkids! We just added #6 to the bunch, but I only have two kids (and their hubbies!).

This group is great and brings me smiles in the thick of it! So glad that you are focusing on your health... You want to be able to play with all those grandkids!

Success yesterday! Didn't go out and buy that diet Pepsi! The day was a long one and I have another long one today. Then it's just getting all the paperwork generated from these two days done. Ugh! At least it will be normal, but long, day work hours. Looking back over the posts since yesterday, I was a BIG Diet Pepsi drinker (an easy 2 liters/day). The only way I could quit was to go cold turkey with the help of No Doze. Then I gradualky weaned off of that. There has to be something really addicting in the soda to make it so appealing when I know it only contains bad stuff. My hubby is a big drinker and when I told him I was really having a hard time (again) and seeing his bottles in the house was too much, he started keeping it in his car trunk (thankfully it's not too hot or cold yet so he's able to do that). He doesn't have the motivation to quit and has his own food struggles, so I'm thankful that he can do this for me. Still, there have been times when I want to walk a mile (get those steps in!) to buy my own bottle! Ha!

HappyTrails, your biking mileage is an inspiration... And a big yahoo to all of you swimmers. Those two activities are my favorite! Once it gets lighter on the morning, a friend and I will start biking before work.

Hope you all have a great day! Keep on keepin on!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    memere101 wrote: »
    Good morning all....just joined the group. I'm 52, will be 53 in July. I have 5 kids and 6 grandkids (#7 will be arriving in October). Decided last August that it was about time I started being a little "selfish" and taking care of myself. Generally by the end of a day after taking care of everyone else's needs there wasn't much energy left for me. I still have a way to go learning to say no a little more, but I'm getting there

Welcome! As Suzy said, this is an awesome group.
    Congrats on all the grands :) and its okay to be "selfish ". Everyone will thank you for being so when they see how energetic and healthy you become.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Y
    SuzyH wrote: »
    Good morning, and welcome, memer101! Congrats on the grandkids! We just added #6 to the bunch, but I only have two kids (and their hubbies!).

This group is great and brings me smiles in the thick of it! So glad that you are focusing on your health... You want to be able to play with all those grandkids!

Success yesterday! Didn't go out and buy that diet Pepsi! The day was a long one and I have another long one today. Then it's just getting all the paperwork generated from these two days done. Ugh! At least it will be normal, but long, day work hours. Looking back over the posts since yesterday, I was a BIG Diet Pepsi drinker (an easy 2 liters/day). The only way I could quit was to go cold turkey with the help of No Doze. Then I gradualky weaned off of that. There has to be something really addicting in the soda to make it so appealing when I know it only contains bad stuff. My hubby is a big drinker and when I told him I was really having a hard time (again) and seeing his bottles in the house was too much, he started keeping it in his car trunk (thankfully it's not too hot or cold yet so he's able to do that). He doesn't have the motivation to quit and has his own food struggles, so I'm thankful that he can do this for me. Still, there have been times when I want to walk a mile (get those steps in!) to buy my own bottle! Ha!

HappyTrails, your biking mileage is an inspiration... And a big yahoo to all of you swimmers. Those two activities are my favorite! Once it gets lighter on the morning, a friend and I will start biking before work.

Hope you all have a great day! Keep on keepin on!

Yay you!! That is a huge success.

My hubby does the same. Keeps it in his truck or in the out building and that helps me. Out of site, out of mind.

I start my 15-18 hour work days very soon. I tell myself every summer, " Its only for 3 months". :)

Have a great day!!
  • rdbartle1958
    Options
    I will be turning 56 later this month. I've been on FitnessPal for almost 2 years (since April of 2013) Started off at 284 pounds and taking 2 different medications for high blood pressure. At my annual physical last April I was down to 215 and my doctor reduced my meds. 6 months later (Oct 2014) I was down to 195 and my doctor took me off all my meds. I have managed to maintain my weight between 195 and 200 with my next annual coming up in a couple weeks. Slow and steady did the trick. Yes, I slipped a few times here and there; BUT if I can do it anybody can. Please, if anyone has any questions; or if I can help in any way support anybody else trying to get healthier, please let me know. Have a great day, everyone!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Tami

I would do laps, or try to, if the pool was warm. It's not even cool, it's down right cold! Senior pool is warm but no lap lanes. May try it anyway if it's not crowded.

The pool I go to is pretty warm.... Depends on the day, but they always have the temp posted where you check in. That's the only way I can get in, that's for sure :) There are always a few real lap swimmers using the lap lanes, so we usually take the area next to the rope until they are done and then move over. It just amazes me how fluid and effortless some of those real swimmers appear. My technic on the other hand.................. Hahaha
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My weigh-in this morning showed our 5 day trip had me gain 2.4 pounds which put me up .2 pounds from April 1st to the 8th. Not a problem. I expect to lose it in short order and then continue the quest for a thinner me.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    My weigh-in this morning showed our 5 day trip had me gain 2.4 pounds which put me up .2 pounds from April 1st to the 8th. Not a problem. I expect to lose it in short order and then continue the quest for a thinner me.

Awesome, Mick! Good job!
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Tami

The pool I go to is pretty warm.... Depends on the day, but they always have the temp posted where you check in. That's the only way I can get in, that's for sure :) There are always a few real lap swimmers using the lap lanes, so we usually take the area next to the rope until they are done and then move over. It just amazes me how fluid and effortless some of those real swimmers appear. My technic on the other hand.................. Hahaha

Yeah, that's me. I have no technic. It seems my backside sinks while I'm swimming. After 5-6 strokes, My feet are walking on the bottom and my arms are padding away. Guess I just will keep practicing.
  • nuffer
    Options
    italy10548 wrote: »
    Can you post a link for the zero to 1 mile swim @ nuffer
    Thanks.

LMGTFY ;)
    Here you go: Zero to one mile swim plan.

Before I started it, I went 10-12 times to work up as many laps as I could stand. That made it really easy to get started and I've been swimming more laps after the workout.

Going to do the second session for Week 2 tonight.

Have fun!
  • karenliebengood
    karenliebengood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is this an active group? I'm 56 and need a little support.
  • nuffer
    Options

Yeah, that's me. I have no technic. It seems my backside sinks while I'm swimming. After 5-6 strokes, My feet are walking on the bottom and my arms are padding away. Guess I just will keep practicing.

That's the ticket, keep at it. My technique has improved dramatically in just a few weeks. I'm going to ask one of the coaches for the kids' team for some quick pointers as there is still lots of room to improve. Thrashing the water into submission is a pretty good workout, but it would be nice to have a more efficient stroke.

• karenliebengood
    karenliebengood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can you add me please?