OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)

If no one is waiting or you offer to let them work in, it's not a big deal.
    The smith machine blows.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My gym also has just one power rack, and I usually do my OHP in it if my OHP day falls during the week. Mostly because I am there when the gym opens at 5am and no one else needs the rack. If they did I'd happily move, but my gym's weight area is very crowded with racks and benches. There's barely room to deadlift, and when you have two or three people wandering by every few minutes to use the dumbbells it can get very awkward if you're trying to find room for the oly bar.

So usually if there's no one in need of the rack I do all my barbell work in/near it. I will grab one of the extra barbells and not use the rack's bar for deadlifts and rows so I can move if someone needs the rack, but it's the only not-tight spot to do any bar work.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would only do it if nobody else is around. The minute someone comes near the racks, I ask them to let me know if they need the rack (there are three, so usually it isn't a problem). I would give it up for someone who would be squatting though. I don't want to be "that person" either....LOL

This.
    if I'm working out real early (my gym has 3 squat racks anyway), then I will sometimes OHP there. During busier hours I use the power rack...not many people seem to use it, except for the people doing pull ups on it.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My gym only has one power rack as well. Yesterday, a dude was there for 45 minutes trying to learn how to do the shoulder to ohp. When I asked him how much longer he was going to be, he just glared at me. After hoovering for another 10 or so minutes, he finally left. This was at peak workout time right after work. It's really uncool to have to wait almost an hour to get squats in. I'm going to go with fine to do, unless someone is waiting. Then wrap it up, or let them work in.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I do my OHP in the squat rack. I'm luck that gym has 2 squat racks and 2 max racks (kind of like the smith machine but allows way more free movement) So it's usually not an issue.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting, I did my OHP in the squat rack. Yes, there is more than 1 and the smith machine. However, as a new lifter, my personal trainer took me there to teach me the movements and form. Am I supposed to take the olympic bar somewhere else to do it? then there will be a bar missing... lol!

Honestly, what is the proper place to do OHP? in the smith machine? I don't want to use a smith machine. I sincerely thought the squat rack is where your supposed to do OHP safely.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I also tend to OHP in the rack. My gym has one rack and one cage (and a smith machine in a different location that I've never used). I prefer the rack as the set up seems just a tad shorter and it's easier to position for the lift, though I can use the cage if that one is taken and no one wants the cage at the time. I tend to lift after 11 pm, so there aren't often people waiting. But I do always check. Though right now the program I am following has me doing a front squat/push press so I use the rack. At my coworker's gym, I would use the one cage they had for most of the lifts and then a bar from either that or the bench for deadlift/rows but even at 10 am there wasn't anyone around. Most is like 1 or 2 others in the area as it's a really small gym. If they needed the cage, i'd let them use it.

I can clean but it's a move I haven't done much except with really light weight for les mills grit strength class. I've only done it one day with OHP and at least once, my form was really sloppy on the clean part. And even then you might have someone want the equipment you are using. I had a guy come up to me during my rest time and ask if I was using the 60 fixed bar. He was a tad surprised that I was in fact using it. So, even not using the rack/cage doesn't deflect from others waiting or needing what you have to use.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hoecradle wrote: »
    I OHP in my squat rack. I don't see a problem with it.

Well at my gym there is also only one squat rack. I see people OHP in there all the time. It becomes a problem when I want to squat. I can and do clean, OHP to back, then squat with warmup weight but at a certain point I need to get to the rack. So Yeah there would be us working in or me staring at you till you finish. Either way works for me.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    the squat rack is for squats hence the name ... dont be that person who does arm curls and shoulder work out's in the squat rack. especially if there is only one ! use the smith for shoulders that is fine but leave the squat rack for squatters :)

I totally disagree with this I think its fine to OHP out of the squat rack
  • Docmahi
    Options
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I lift at home. I OHP in my squat rack 100% of the time.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Docmahi wrote: »

Shoulders in the smith machine. Like why?
  • Docmahi
    Options
    I would only do it if nobody else is around. The minute someone comes near the racks, I ask them to let me know if they need the rack (there are three, so usually it isn't a problem). I would give it up for someone who would be squatting though. I don't want to be "that person" either....LOL

I somewhat disagree with this but I think you make a decent point
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think it is poor etiquette...but I confess that I do it. I'm perfectly willing to let anybody work in, though, esp since we only have 1 squat rack in our gym.
  • Docmahi
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

I'm glad you workout at home too
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Accidental repost.

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I don't think I have ever used a rack to do OHP unless we are talking about the clean rack position. Maybe I am used to whatever this tiresome feeling is for doing one clean per set for shoulders.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

How do you deadlift in a squat rack?