Community for CrossFitters, by Crossfitters & anyone interes

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    So what is your most dreaded movement at CF... ?

OMG there used to be a lot more than there is now! Now I enjoy seeing running on there, I used to dread it. Of course I still dread thrusters..who doesn't? They are the hardest move! The WODs I find the most difficult are the ones you have to do, like 10-20 pullups as one of the movements. They are totally taxing to me, and I get tired very quickly. OH and one day we had a WOD where we had to burbee broad jump for 100m, then take the total amount of burpees required and do a bunch of stuff with those reps! It took 45 burpees!! UGH! What a day.

I love any WOD with deadlifts, running, double unders, box jumps, wall balls, and the list goes on.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    EVEN GOT THE SHOES! (Reebok Real Flex)

One of my trainers (Graham Holmberg) is in the shoe commercial! He's also the winner of the 2010 CrossFit Games. I didn't compete in the Open this year obviously (since there are still plenty of moves that I can't complete Rx), but it has been interesting to follow the workouts and results. Did anyone else compete in the Open or follow the Games?

I pay about $100 a month at my gym but it's because my husband and I got a "married" discount for getting two members to sign up at once or something. For one person to sign up for 12 months it is supposed to be around $125 I think. Definitely worth it if you compare it to individual training sessions (which is pretty much what you get at a CrossFit gym). Unlimited 60-minute training sessions for a month with someone else would run you A LOT more than $100 - $150! :)

We have bands at my gym but the trainers don't really allow them in WODs unless really necessary. They are there more for open conditioning or pre- and post-workout use. So instead of bands, we do jumping pull ups, chin to ring pull ups, muscle up transitions, and parallette bar dips. I'd agree with everyone else that thrusters are a pretty dreaded movement. I am ALWAYS sore after they appear in a WOD. Also not really a fan of squat snatches...they require a lot of balance.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Meghan: so neat you have a "star" Crossfitter at your box!! I was following some of the Athlete stories from the Open Games and would watch the video's, but I wasn't too concerned with the results. My trainer and some of the "big boys" competed, but I don't think anyone qualified. And Squat snatches are tough, but they don't suck. It does bother my shoulder though.

Karen: we had a full 'burpee' week once (got the t-shirt) One workout alone had 150 burpees. The other tough one and I know it'll probably show up soon is the 400 m walking lunge WOD. Oh Gawd, I couldn't sit on the flipping toilet, I was hurting so bad. :laugh:

Robin - yep - wine makes me cycle for carbs, chocolate, chips... all the bad things. Seeing that summer is here, I usually don't crave wine, but dreading the Fall and that first craving. I'm only drinking now on Friday-Saturday and my go to drink is vodka with sparkling water.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Oh - forgot to mention I just got off my first IF. Went from 9 pm to noon today. Plan on doing another this week. It was pretty easy, but I kept planning out in my head what I would break-fast with and it drove me to hunger!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Oh - forgot to mention I just got off my first IF. Went from 9 pm to noon today. Plan on doing another this week. It was pretty easy, but I kept planning out in my head what I would break-fast with and it drove me to hunger!!
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Karen: we had a full 'burpee' week once (got the t-shirt) One workout alone had 150 burpees. The other tough one and I know it'll probably show up soon is the 400 m walking lunge WOD. Oh Gawd, I couldn't sit on the flipping toilet, I was hurting so bad. :laugh:

That is another one! 400m walking lunges are a complete dread for me. The first time I had to do that, I was so pissed off afterwards. But the next time, it was better but not fun at all!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me popping in to say hi. I'm not following crossfit as there are no gyms near me that do it but my personal trainer is interested so I get some of it passed my way :happy:
    My trainer used bands for pull ups and dips for a couple of sessions and then I was able to do them by myself so I think it helped me, I have got up to sets of 5 reps of unassisted pull ups now. I got introduced to thrusters for the first time last week, was only lifting 17.5 kgs (approx 38 lbs) though as I was having a bad day with my back, tbh I found it hard to grasp the technique at first, I never seem to do well where you have to coordinate movements!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Oops, don't know how that posted twice
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    nutmeg0686:
    "I pay about $100 a month at my gym but it's because my husband and I got a "married" discount for getting two members to sign up at once or something. For one person to sign up for 12 months it is supposed to be around $125 I think. Definitely worth it if you compare it to individual training sessions (which is pretty much what you get at a CrossFit gym). Unlimited 60-minute training sessions for a month with someone else would run you A LOT more than $100 - $150! :) "

Interesting. So it sounds like it's about the instruction. I kinda thought there was instruction for the first month/ramp and after that you were on your own. So yeah, in that sense, a reasonable price to pay. Thanks for the response.
  • bobspdx
    Options
    HA HA HA HA, I just checked our online WOD board.... guess what today is!??? 400m walking lunge day! I am super pumped :noway:
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    I haven't tried regular crossfit yet. I have been doing a crossfit bootcamp for the last month and a half, and love it. I am thinking of making the switch to crossfit but am not sure if I am ready yet. I plan on talking to the owner of the gym to see what he thinks. :)
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Corinne_Bruce Posts: 206
    Options
    nutmeg0686:
    "I pay about $100 a month at my gym but it's because my husband and I got a "married" discount for getting two members to sign up at once or something. For one person to sign up for 12 months it is supposed to be around $125 I think. Definitely worth it if you compare it to individual training sessions (which is pretty much what you get at a CrossFit gym). Unlimited 60-minute training sessions for a month with someone else would run you A LOT more than $100 - $150! :) "

Interesting. So it sounds like it's about the instruction. I kinda thought there was instruction for the first month/ramp and after that you were on your own. So yeah, in that sense, a reasonable price to pay. Thanks for the response.

I understand you being hesitant because of the price. I was concerned about the price at first because I have never paid for gym memberships in my past. I also have a free membership to our local gym through my job, so paying for something I could get for free sounded ridiculous. But after almost a year training at my gym with trainers and taking fitness classes, I didn't really feel challenged. I was not seeing the results I wanted so I gave Crossfit a try with their 1 month on ramp class which cost $130. After that month, I made up my mind that I would pay almost anything because the results I'm seeing and the one on one I get. We have a strength coach, endurance coach, speed coach, form coach, etc so I feel like it's definitely worth the price because during every WOD you have at least 3 people coaching and correcting your form at all times. Good luck and I hope you decide to give it a try!
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    So what is your most dreaded movement at CF... ?

OMG I hate thrusters!!! We have to do them for 20m in a WOD that already has burpees (4 rounds)! Ouch :cry:
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm curious to know how people describe to others what crossfit is. I'm looking for a good description (like a couple sentences) that can capture the essence of what xfit is about and can give people a pretty clear understanding as to what it is. Most people I have encountered have never heard of it and proceed to ask me what it is and I don't feel as though I am doing it justice with my response.
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    I'm curious to know how people describe to others what crossfit is. I'm looking for a good description (like a couple sentences) that can capture the essence of what xfit is about and can give people a pretty clear understanding as to what it is. Most people I have encountered have never heard of it and proceed to ask me what it is and I don't feel as though I am doing it justice with my response.

I need help in this area too! I'm curious to know how others describe xfit...
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I usually tell them it's a combination of Olympic lifting, gymnastics and cardio designed as a HIIT workout. If they are douches I usually try to scare them away :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    KELLY today - 5 rounds for time (41:50)
    400 m run
    30 box jumps (24/20)
    30 wall balls (20/14)

it was soooo hard... 2 people gave up after 3 rounds. one completed it in 29 minutes, but she used a 10" box and an 8 pound ball. The other person who stuck it through with me finished after me at 44 minutes.

I suppose I could've Rx'd and did the 14's but our med balls are old and too soft and just awkward to handle. The 10's are small and compact and I just have better momentum with them.

Need to go eat now...
  • bobspdx
    Options
    Tuesday WOD:
    400m walking lunges: 17:16
    KILLED my last time of 24:23 so flipping happy for myself!

followed by
    10 rounds:
    Handstand Push-ups modified starting with 10 and decreasing by 1 each round (10, 9, 8...)
    10 V-ups
  • bobspdx
    Options
    400 m run
    30 box jumps (24/20)
    30 wall balls (20/14)

it was soooo hard... 2 people gave up after 3 rounds. one completed it in 29 minutes, but she used a 10" box and an 8 pound ball. The other person who stuck it through with me finished after me at 44 minutes.

I suppose I could've Rx'd and did the 14's but our med balls are old and too soft and just awkward to handle. The 10's are small and compact and I just have better momentum with them.

Need to go eat now...

Nice job Pam! Kelly is really hard! 5 rounds seems like an eternity. I have to use the smaller box (12") for box jumps due to not liking heights (even if only 12" off the ground), falling, and confidence in myself.
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    400 m run
    30 box jumps (24/20)
    30 wall balls (20/14)

Need to go eat now...

Great job!!! I have not been introduced to KELLY yet, and it sounds like I don't want to meet her lol! Way to stick it out, 5 rounds does feel like an eternity in xfit!!