Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• Noreen2014
    Noreen2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I've started my challenge group again! here's the link if you're interested! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/7573-quirky-challenges-for-the-lighter-side-of-health

Can't wait to have fun with you guys!
    Caroline
  • princesspayton
    princesspayton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been using myfitnesspal off and on for the past couple of years, but I am trying to stick with it this time! If anyone wants to add me, I would appreciate it as I need all the motivation push I can get! :-)
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's not even 4 yet and I have already drank 50oz of water. I am super proud.. I normally hate water but today I made myself just as I'll do every day from now on. Granted I think I've peed like 100 times today but that's okay. I went on a short 15 min walk in between rain storms. I hope to be able to get in another walk tonight.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's not even 4 yet and I have already drank 50oz of water. I am super proud.. I normally hate water but today I made myself just as I'll do every day from now on. Granted I think I've peed like 100 times today but that's okay. I went on a short 15 min walk in between rain storms. I hope to be able to get in another walk tonight.

This made me giggle a little because I was excited I got in 100 Oz before 4. You are doing great. The water really does help. It took me awhile to make myself used to 100+ ounces a day.

@princesspayton Welcome!
  • clqueener
    clqueener Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok all I need people that are really wanting to drop the weight and stick to it. I have been on my journey since 1/4/14 and i am down 160 pounds but still have that much left. Please add me and ill motivate you if you can motivate me.
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had a terrible 2 1/2 weeks. I am back to my bad eating habits. I refuse to get on the scale. I am afraid I have gained back the 9lbs that I lost. I need to refocus and get back on track.
  • bloodewine
    bloodewine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was feeling really gross while doing my step workout today, so I said screw it, and took off my shirt (was at home alone). Felt pretty good to be working out in just a sports bra and capris without feeling self conscious. Even better was forcing myself to look in the full-length mirror after I finished. I actually *smiled* at how I looked! I honestly can't remember ever really looking in the mirror like that and not being disgusted with myself. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm glad I have at least started to change my thinking :smile:
  • shirayne
    Options
    Hi Noreen and welcome to all who are new here!

@didjaever: I forbid you to beat yourself up about this! LOL You are a fabulous and motivational person who CAN and WILL do this! So you had a couple of bad weeks. Don't let that get you down and let's get back to it! Start with the basics and work your way up.

Today I succeeded in my mini-goal! Soooo pleased with myself! I did not step foot on the elevator and climed the equivalent of about 14 stair cases (plus all the descents). I have no excuses now so I'm going to try to do this for the rest of the week! :)

We can do this! This is OUR TIME!
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How often does everyone weigh in. Personally, I do it every morning before eating. I understand weight fluctuates everyday but I want to know what's happening.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with you shirayne, we shouldn't berate ourselves. Speak to yourself as you would a beloved friend, relative or pet. A bad day (or three, or a week,or a month) is just that. Track everything, no matter how bad, be accountable to yourself, accept you're human and move on. Positive thoughts are best.
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time but I keep gaining instead of losing. I need to lose over 100 pounds but I am having a hard time getting motivated now. I am college student and end up being caught up with school and family that I don't even try to lose weight. Looking for some motivation as well as trying to see how others tackle menu planning as well as fitting exercise into their daily routines.

Menu planning was a real issue for me. But... and this is just me. I started checking out meal prep on youtube and have started making sunday my cooking-for-the-week day. I make a big pot of wild rice and quinoa with chicken broth instead of water, I cook 2 or 3 kinds of meet (chicken on the grill, salmon on the grill, and whatever else I have. I then put 1/2 a cup of the rice/quinoa mix and a piece of meat in each zip loc container with whatever veggie grabs me at the moment, and I pack 5 zip loc bags with 40 almonds and 2 light string cheese for my 2 snacks. So in the morning I just grap 2 zip loc containers, 1 zip loc baggie, and a 1/2 gallon of water. That covers me for my work day. I also discovered egg muffins! YUM! 1/3 cup egg whites with veggies and a few pieces of meat in each muffin tin. I eat two each morning (80 calories for both) with a piece of toast. Ok, I went on a food tangent... sorry about that! LOL Anyway, nice to meet you and you can DEFINITELY do this!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Options
    By way of introduction, my name is Michele and I have about 120 lbs to lose, BUT, and this is important to me FINALLY! I am on a journey, so the side goal is to lose 120 lbs, but the real goal is to change the way I eat and move. After 20 years of playing with this weight, I believe I'm finally on the right path and more motivated than ever!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Options
    shirayne wrote: »
    As I was discussing with a friend on here the other day, trying new things can be scary. You spend money on something you aren't sure you're going to enjoy and sometimes end up wasting it because you don't like it. I had started a group 4 years ago (and I think I mentioned this before) that had a food and fitness "challenge" each week. I've decided I"m going to start it again. The fitness challenges were quirky but got me moving and the food challenges got me to try new foods.

If you are interested in joining me, I'll post the group name later (I can't remember the name right now lol)

I can't promise to do all the challenges, but my competitive nature makes me want to join in ALOT! LOL I'm in!
  • globug68
    globug68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Hope you all had a great day. I am starting to feel stuck my weight goes back and forth 257-260. I know what I have to do and what to stay away from however finding it hard with the ice coffee 160cals and stinking cheese bisquit which is massive waste of 290 cals. I find myself craving them. But then after eating it I feel bad. What do you all do when feeling unmotivated?
  • shirayne
    Options
    Good morning!

@globug68: That's a tough one for sure. For me, it depends on why I'm not feeling motivated. If I'm tired, there isn't much I can do to get myself out of it. I make the best choices I can in my current state of mind. Other times, I try to trick my mind into telling me that I'm craving something healthy. Last night for example, my husband wanted 2 large jerk chicken poutines (a weakness of mine). I told him I'd pick them up and that I'd pick up Subway for myself and my son (I was trying to make a better choice). But on my way there, I kew that if I ordered a sub, I'd want cheese and lots of mayo and chipotle sauce on it and that I'd blow my calories on the wrong stuff so I convinced myself that I wanted homemade pho. I bought the poutines and the sub and headed towards the car to go home and make my pho. I ended up getting myself a shawarma platter but that was still a better choice. Chicken, beef, rice, salad, and some pretty powerful garlic sauce LOL. Anyways, I was proud of myself for knowing that the poutine was the wrong choice and that although Subway would have been ok, I knew I wouldn't be able to control what I chose. :)
  • MelyssaMallonee3
    MelyssaMallonee3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Loving all the encouragement and motivation here! I've been listening to a lot of podcasts and doing a lot of reading on healthy eating, and damaged metabolism (really just slow...due to extreme dieting or unhealthy habits). It's fascinating to me that over the years I've really struggled to get rid of fat, even the midst of losing alot of weight, I still am pretty fatty...even with a ton of exercise and making good food choices.

I think I've come to the realization that I've been way undereating, which is INSANE...I've been a "dieter" for so long that thinking that I need to eat more to get to my goals is just crazy. Just some food for thought for those of you out there that are doing hard workouts every day and restricting calories. It's worth doing some research on exactly what your body needs every day just to survive (BMR) and then to figure out your activity level and then create a slight deficit.

I've just started with this higher calorie range in the last month, and going from eating 1500-1600 calories a day to 2100 a day..and I still lost a few pounds last month. Time will tell, but I can tell you that I feel like I have SO MUCH MORE freedom with those extra 500 calories and room for more snacks or bigger meals...and really I should be eating even more, but thought I would start here.

What do you guys think about this? Anyone out there with experience going from under eating and getting where you need to be?
  • Jinx_Mo
    Options

What do you guys think about this? Anyone out there with experience going from under eating and getting where you need to be?

I had experience, waaaaay back in the day. I use to weight lift with my brother, he did it competitive, I just did it to be strong enough to spot for him. At that time, we ate like body builders. Minimum 5 times a say and ALWAYS a protein, a carb (usually rice) and at least one veggie. Strangely enough, I never had issues losing weight or being hungry. In fact, eating was something I literally thought of as "something you have to do", not something I was dying to do. I don't know what happened to that girl, because God knows I'm a ravening BEAST with food now. I love the smell, the appearance, the taste, hell, even the THOUGHT of good food. And now I find is really tedious to coordinate that much food each day. I've started doing meal prep on Sundays, cooking LOTS of healthy food I can scoop from for each meal (a bucket of wild rice and quinoa, 2 or 3 kinds of meat, and at least 2 or 3 cooked veggie and raw as well), and just making containers that are ready to go when I'm ready to grab them. It's helped, now if only I can get back into the groove of working out! LOL

It'll all come together. My new motto is "one step at a time". It's a journey, not a race for me, so I'm trying to treat myself the way I would a fragile friend. Not sure how much this helps, but there it is!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Options
    In case anyone else takes inspiration from success stories, I've been cruising this GREAT website "The Weigh We Were", and it's got some truly wonderful stories of weight loss success. If you're interested you can view it here... theweighwewere.com/category/weight-loss-stories/
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    vschwgrt1 wrote: »
    How often does everyone weigh in. Personally, I do it every morning before eating. I understand weight fluctuates everyday but I want to know what's happening.

I personally seem to do it about twice a week
    But would also be interested in the daily fluctuations.