OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• kdt2013
    kdt2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Or you could just refer to it as the power rack and your safe. It is quite common for people to use them for bench press as well as ohp, especially if you don't have a spotter. I also see many use it for barbell shrugs, hip thrusts, and many other variations of chest work, as it acts as a safety catch for many barbell exercises. Just be courteous to others needs and let others get sets in between exercises. One reason I'm glad I go to a slow gym, the power rack is my domain for the hour and twenty minutes I'm there.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I was a rebel tonight. After my main lifts, which involved front squat/push press in the power cage, I did some accessories. This included good mornings and I did them in the rack. Both the rack and the cage were empty at the time and no one was around so, eh. Someone did come and squat in the cage during my sets and I let them know it was open (as someone had left weights on rack, cage, the leg press, and probably something else). I could clean the bar for good mornings but then I'd have to stand somewhere and block a walkway or some other location with how gym is set up. So, I do it in the rack. *shrugs* If they are used or it's busy, I will have no problem doing the accessory lift somewhere else.

Note: I also saw guys doing OHP in the rack during my front squat/push press sets.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    DONT ohp in the squat rack!!!

There are good people waiting to do curlz
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    I see more people using them for other exercises at my gym than I see them being used for squats (so disappointing). I say if no one is waiting for the rack then use it, if it's busy and people are waiting then do any exercise that doesn't require the rack elsewhere.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!
  • Lofteren
    Options
    sdfrcf wrote: »
    I see more people using them for other exercises at my gym than I see them being used for squats (so disappointing). I say if no one is waiting for the rack then use it, if it's busy and people are waiting then do any exercise that doesn't require the rack elsewhere.

But you don't necessarily know who's waiting for the squat rack because they are probably off doing something else while waiting. You might think that guy doing lunges on the other end of the weight room just wanted to do some lunges but actually he's just keeping himself busy while you are improperly using the equipment he needs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Squat rack is a perfectly acceptable place to do OHP.
    You do BB rows there too- and rack pulls- and shoulder shrugs.

when you start shrugging 4-5 plates on each side- go ahead and tell the guy doing it he's wrong.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I prefer the power rack over the squat rack, and yes, I’ll do my full 5x5 in a power rack if the gym isn’t busy. It has never been an issue.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In my mind, inside a power rack is the safest place to OHP. I've never seen someone actually drop the bar on accident, but I know it could happen.

If I fail on a rep, the rack provides the best protection for me and anybody else who is nearby.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I deadlift and OHP inside the cage and OHP in the squat rack. I never knew there was any other way to OHP than to set the bar to the necessary height. Hmm...Anywho, I DL in the cage because I need to set the bar high to load my plates. It just makes the process of load and deloading the plates much easier than if it was on the floor. *shrug*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.

This. I do OHP in the squat rack and have never had anyone complain.

I would second this as well ..

and I do OHP in the squat rack

besides, you get pretty damn tired if you had to clean and press 135# and then OHP it...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    correction, we have two power racks and I OHP in those..but I would not have an issue with someone OHP'ing in squat rack ...

• LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    I think if someone's time were actually so valuable they can't wait to use a squat rack, they would be willing to pay enough for a gym that had enough equipment.

Some of us live in tiny apartments.
    I was talking about gym memberships. There's probably more than one gym in NYC.

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find an affordable one with both a decent weight room and good dance/cardio classes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!
    Your workout sucks because you can't dive.
  • Lofteren
    Options

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?
    I didn't say my goal was to be strong. That's your goal. If it's fine for you to evaluate everything everyone else does based on your goal, it's only fair if I do the same. Therefore, your workout, which doesn't help you become a better diver, is a total waste of time. It won't help you do anything but wussie dives like cannonballs.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I don’t disagree that being able to power clean is a good thing, but if I’m on a push/pull program, I don’t necessarily want to do a clean on my push days.
  • Lofteren
    edited April 2015
    Options

I didn't say my goal was to be strong. That's your goal. If it's fine for you to evaluate everything everyone else does based on your goal, it's only fair if I do the same. Therefore, your workout, which doesn't help you become a better diver, is a total waste of time. It won't help you do anything but wussie dives like cannonballs.

Why would the OP do overhead presses if they weren't at all interested in strength?

I am not talking about your goals because, frankly, I could not possibly care less about what your goals are. I am talking about the OP's goals; and the OP is lifting weights, not diving.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why would the OP do overhead presses if they weren't at all interested in strength?

I am not talking about your goals because, frankly, I could not possibly care less about what your goals are. I am talking about the OP's goals; and the OP is lifting weights, not diving.

because it is a great shoulder work out and also a compound movement that works other areas of body, perhaps?????????
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The OP's goal is to do OHP - not cleans.