Steak or Salmon?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My thread turned into an argument about cancer, I feel like I've made it through some sort of MFP right of passage.

Alive, too! :p

I love salmon -- and like you, especially sashimi -- but I think I would smell the amazing steak aromas in the restaurant and go from there. It's a special night, let your heart lead you this time.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    My thread turned into an argument about cancer, I feel like I've made it through some sort of MFP right of passage.

:)

So what did you end up having?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    YUM... Steak... JUST bought a 1/2 a cow... I HAVE LOTS of Steak... and NOT surprisingly... about 70 lbs of ground beef... BUT we mix the ground beef with ground Bison... MMM taco heaven... oh.. wait... what was the question?
  • lauriekat1120
    lauriekat1120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

:)

So what did you end up having?

We're going this weekend. I'm actually probably going to get a 12oz skirt steak or the filet. I'm *kitten* at portion control when food is put in front of me (I have an endless capacity for delicious things), but filet can be really bland and if I don't eat steak much, it should taste like, you know, steak. I'm also trying to be mindful of my portions because I'm not driving so red wine will feature heavily in my evening. It's definitely going to be an over calorie day, but I want it to not be a "Ew I ate so much that I feel ill/gross day" (I've had those. There's a pizzeria in Brooklyn... well. I didn't move for like 5 hours after.)
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I get it: People like beef. (I do, too.) I would probably get the steak in this scenario, because I like tasty food that's cooked correctly. But that wasn't the question asked, and it's sort of shocking to me that anyone could still be of the opinion that beef is as healthy as fish.

And I can't believe you posted the link as solid proof. You based your opinion on others based on assumptions. That's sad.

Scientific studies are invalid as sources to back up stated opinions? Scientific studies are literally the opposite of assumptions. I don't know what to say to that but "wow".

You're study didn't actually prove anything. It was making assumptions and you made an assumption based on their assumption. I know you're new so it's okay.

So a completely unfounded opinion (because you don't like controlled experiments) is somehow not an assumption? Right.

Way to be completely condescending, too.

There's all the "may" and "could" in the paragraphs. I saw nothing conclusive.

Have you ever read a scientific study? That's the sort of language they use. They're not positing a scientific theory; that's a lot harder to do and that's why there are so few of them.

But my bad; I shouldn't have posted in a forum called "Food and Nutrition" when it appears to be a forum about taste preferences, humor, and not actually addressing the questions asked.

Hmmm if I was a scientist with an otherwise unmarketable degree in a pseudo-quasi-emotional marketplace with no eventual resolution to my claims ever to be likely, what would I do. I know, I would find an incurable disease that literally everyone and anyone will get if they live long enough, and do incomplete studies that take so long to affirm that they are outdated by the time they are released. Then I get federal grants-in-aid to fund such studies because if the government could not sell the unschooled masses on promises of stamping out death, discomfort, and dis-content, how would they raise taxes every single year whilst becoming less efficient, growing bureaucracy, and insuring pensions for their fellow non-producers.

Boom! If you just read all of this and understood a third of it your are smarter. Eat a Cheeto you deserve it, You're welcome.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Both.

Or don't bother with either and get what you really want:
    Ribeye- or portorhouse.

next question- is it ACTUALLY a steak house- or are you going to a place that just does steaks too?
    Because- yeah I'll get a filet mignon at like- Applebees- or long horn- but if I"m ACTUALLY at a real steak house- I'm going to order a real steak.

Y u haten on filets????

Go eat a good skirt steak- and come back to me on filets.

Seriously.... once you've had picana- or skirt steak- eating a filet is like eating boiled chicken.

It gets the job done- but certainly not anything to get excited about.
    Because they don't taste like anything. Flavorless protein that only tastes like whatever sauce you put on. Like tofu.

Rib-eye, Porterhouse, or possibly even a NY Strip would be better
    nods nods nods- also this.

Skirt steak, chimichurri sauce, garlic roasted potatoes, bottle of Malbec.

I would be one happy girl.

this is why we are friends.

Skirt steak + malbec = happy happy peoples.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Both.

Ribeye- or portorhouse.

next question- is it ACTUALLY a steak house- or are you going to a place that just does steaks too?
    Because- yeah I'll get a filet mignon at like- Applebees- or long horn- but if I"m ACTUALLY at a real steak house- I'm going to order a real steak.

Y u haten on filets????

Seriously.... once you've had picana- or skirt steak- eating a filet is like eating boiled chicken.

Because they don't taste like anything. Flavorless protein that only tastes like whatever sauce you put on. Like tofu.

oh, I like all those too ..I just love me a bone in filet rare with some red wine ....boom!

You are talking about something *slightly* different. You are talking about what is probably more correctly referred to as a bone-in tenderloin, (or the top half of a porterhouse). The bone does indeed improve on the flavor of the otherwise boring tenderloin. When cooked as a "filet" it has little flavor on its own.

true..

but I like a filet without the bone in too ...

I always like the bone in...

This comment wins the thread. We can all stop now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Both.

Ribeye- or portorhouse.

Y u haten on filets????

oh, I like all those too ..I just love me a bone in filet rare with some red wine ....boom!

You are talking about something *slightly* different. You are talking about what is probably more correctly referred to as a bone-in tenderloin, (or the top half of a porterhouse). The bone does indeed improve on the flavor of the otherwise boring tenderloin. When cooked as a "filet" it has little flavor on its own.

true..

but I like a filet without the bone in too ...

I always like the bone in...

This comment wins the thread. We can all stop now.

seconded- I legit Lo-Led in my office.