You aren't always going to get support

Options

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    True to an extent.... My SO and I are in this together... We support each other and at times call each other out on bad choices. I seriously do not believe either of us could do this alone.

Aaaaaaaw. That is so sweet!
  • squacky4
    squacky4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The only people really interested in your weight is your health/life insurance company. Believe it or not they want you to be healthy and well WHILE still paying the premiums and not collecting any benefits for A LONG LONG time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So true! My insurance company solicited me for a 16 week weight loss program complete with wireless scale and fitbit. All free!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    squacky4 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The only people really interested in your weight is your health/life insurance company. Believe it or not they want you to be healthy and well WHILE still paying the premiums and not collecting any benefits for A LONG LONG time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So true! My insurance company solicited me for a 16 week weight loss program complete with wireless scale and fitbit. All free!
    I've seen this offered many times.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is my best cheerleader. I don't need that to suceed but I still LOVE getting the pat on the back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is my best cheerleader. I don't need that to suceed but I still LOVE getting the pat on the back.
    Positive feedback and acknowledgement is always good.
    It's good you have a supporter, but many don't and can't understand why. Hopefully they see this thread and use it as their own push to get success for themselves.
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Said it before, will say it again: No one else cares, and most people who need motivation and support from other people will not do well.

Yep. And this holds true for almost everything in life.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. Otherwise, it's just pressure from other people.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. Otherwise, it's just pressure from other people.

So true. When I wasn't in the right mindset, well meaning "advice" from my husband was not well recieved, I took it as an insult to my weight. Now I ready to lose the weight I am more receptive to seeing it as encouragement.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Well, also, they just get tired of it. I mean how many times can a person say "Wow, that's great" when you tell them you lost another pound, and how interesting is it to hear about this week's macros compared to last week and how upping your protein has helped with appetite control?

My brother-in-law's girlfriend manages to work stats on the amazing curative powers of each of her specially prepared dishes and how they keep her so "fit" into every family gathering conversation. Oh my God she is a snore. Everybody's eyes glaze over, even those of us who ARE into nutrition and or weight loss.

:laugh: :laugh:

Well said!

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have found this to be very true. I also have found that I have "lost" friends since I have gotten healthier, lost weight, and workout bc I no longer have enough in common with them. I dont go out and drink with them anymore or go out to eat to socialize. HOWEVER, I am closer with my Hub bc he has recently decided to lift too. I am loving that he wants to lift and get healthier himself! Makes cooking easier :)
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All very true - I am trying very hard to sneak it by my husband that I am trying to lose weight. I have learned the hard way that if I tell him, not only will he not support me, he will downright go into sabotage mode! >:)
    So, I am on a very secretive mission that includes rummaging through food packets, secretly weighing my food, working out recipes etc, just to get into the ballpark without being caught by the park keeper....
    I know some will think I should just stand up for myself and say this is what I want to do etc.....but it damned difficult when you feeling snacky/stressed and he has brought all the stuff you like into the damned house! Discretion for me is the best course of action.....he doesn't think to present me with my favourite lemon cheesecake on my second day of 'dieting' if he doesn't know I am 'dieting'......... :*

PS. I have tried the direct route, in case you were wondering......so much bluddy hassle!! Caused more stress than it worth!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a saboteur :angry: He doesn't want me to lose anymore weight, so he sneaks extra oil on my food, brings me chocolate which most times i refuse anyway. I thought he was worried about me losing TOO much weight. But i recently pushed him further, and his number 1 reason is.........
    He doesn't want me to lose my boobs :huh:

They are still a decent size mind you, and I've only got 6lbs left to my goal weight, so i doubt they are going to shrink alot between now and then....

Unless most of the six lbs comes from zha ta tas! :laugh: