1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Take into account that people with a lot to lose can burn a lot of calories more easily and someone with less to lose has to do much more work to burn the same amount.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

You are MASSIVELY over-estimating your burn. No surprise there's an HRM involved - the number of MFPers who use that damn thing incorrectly is staggering.

The only way to burn 1000 calories in 60 minutes of running (all running - no walking) is to weigh 250 pounds and cover 10k.

For comparison, if you weigh 200 pounds and split that hour evenly between running (5k) and walking (3k) you're looking at a burn of around 520 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    No.

I exercise for health and fitness.

I eat to lose weight.

I never have, nor ever will exercise to produce a caloric deficit.

Is this somehow more virtuous?

No it's not but exercise is not needed for weight loss so to create a deficit with exercise seems sort of counter productive....esp if you hate exercise and are only doing it to create a deficit...

Question is with this week of burning 1k a day are you following NEAT or TDEE? and if NEAT are you eating them back? and if yes then what are you going to do to fill in those calories?

IF TDEE are you going to continue this thereby needing to recalculate your TDEE after it's done?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

You are MASSIVELY over-estimating your burn. No surprise there's an HRM involved - the number of MFPers who use that damn thing incorrectly is staggering.

The only way to burn 1000 calories in 60 minutes of running (all running - no walking) is to weigh 250 pounds and cover 10k.

Agreed...for me running steady for 1 hour @ 12mph burns 562 calories according to MFP and we know it's over estimated...to get 1k would be 6.5mph...and I couldn't do that even at my fittest for an hour...

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^^^THIS

Even when I weighed 230lbs, a 1 hr 3-4 mile walk only burned about 250-300 calories. Your estimates are WAY off. But by your calculating methods, my last bike ride (16miles at 15mph avg speed) burned 3,844 calories. Damn! I coulda eaten the entire cheesecake instead of a single slice.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Take into account that people with a lot to lose can burn a lot of calories more easily and someone with less to lose has to do much more work to burn the same amount.

not THAT much more
  • imajorchubby
    imajorchubby Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is interesting as this is something I have been researching. MFP puts my burn at 400 for 26 minutes of cardio when the machine I am working says 150. should I just average the 2 or is there a more specific method. I agree 1000 seems really high even for me at 307lbs.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

No it's not but exercise is not needed for weight loss so to create a deficit with exercise seems sort of counter productive....esp if you hate exercise and are only doing it to create a deficit...

Question is with this week of burning 1k a day are you following NEAT or TDEE? and if NEAT are you eating them back? and if yes then what are you going to do to fill in those calories?

IF TDEE are you going to continue this thereby needing to recalculate your TDEE after it's done?

Who said it was needed for weight loss? People moving more and burning calories makes achieving the deficit easier. A balance between reducing consumption and moving a bit more.

Why on earth is that counter productive? just because people dont like exercise because they find it hard isnt a good enough reason not to do some. There are also significant other benefits besides any calorie burn. Lots of people dont like to limit their food to less than their body needs to maintain, but they do.

If its TDEE then it will already be included.
    If its NEAT, then its up to the individual what % they eat back. Plenty of people dont eat 100% of their accurate calories back.

As the OP stated its easier for her because of her weight, but it depends on the individual. Theres also no reason youd have to do it all at one go.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Agreed...for me running steady for 1 hour @ 12mph burns 562 calories according to MFP and we know it's over estimated...to get 1k would be 6.5mph...and I couldn't do that even at my fittest for an hour...

Right? Oh, I'm guessing "12mph" should be 12 minute mile (otherwise, that's WR fast--show me your Gold Medal, LOL). General runner's formula for calorie burn (distance based): 0.63*your weight in pounds*distance ran = cals

To burn 1000 cal/hr, someone would have to be ~300lbs (assuming a pace of ~6mph), or be ~200lbs @ 8mph. That's some serious running. Plus, assuming one would want to maintain a 1,000 calorie daily deficit, one would totally hit the wall on day two's run.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    As the OP stated its easier for her because of her weight, but it depends on the individual.

The OP is wrong. It is not "easier" when carrying a lot of weight. What is "easier" is getting huge, misleading readings out of HRMs and exercise equipment.

Anyone who thinks a 250 pound male is having an "easier" time burning calories running has never been a 250 pound male trying to burn calories running.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

As above you're massively overestimating your burn. I've just checked back through my records and when I was 270lbs I was only burning around 750 cals an hr for running (and whilst it was slow running, it was running for an hour, no walking).

I'm 163lbs now and did a 33mile ultra yesterday with nearly 4000ft of total climbs in 8hrs and only burned about 4000 cals (so averaging 500 an hour).

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    As the OP stated its easier for her because of her weight, but it depends on the individual.

The OP is wrong. It is not "easier" when carrying a lot of weight. What is "easier" is getting huge, misleading readings out of HRMs and exercise equipment.

Anyone who thinks a 250 pound male is having an "easier" time burning calories running has never been a 250 pound male trying to burn calories running.

Agreed (at least in my experience). Even as an out of shape 160+lb'er, I did not have the fitness/endurance ability to complete a 500 calorie-level workout, much less two of them a day, or 1,000 in one go--for 7 days straight. I imagine it would be much more difficult for a heavier person (in general, assuming a similar lack of fitness). "Easy" is the last word I would use to describe such.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Who said it was needed for weight loss? People moving more and burning calories makes achieving the deficit easier. A balance between reducing consumption and moving a bit more.

Why on earth is that counter productive? just because people dont like exercise because they find it hard isnt a good enough reason not to do some. There are also significant other benefits besides any calorie burn. Lots of people dont like to limit their food to less than their body needs to maintain, but they do.

If its TDEE then it will already be included.
    If its NEAT, then its up to the individual what % they eat back. Plenty of people dont eat 100% of their accurate calories back.

As the OP stated its easier for her because of her weight, but it depends on the individual. Theres also no reason youd have to do it all at one go.

because if they don't like it they won't keep it up and chances are will still eat like they are exercising...

I didn't say it was a good reason but some folks just aren't gonna exercise...or can't...physically...ie my grandmother was in a wheelchair with MS for years and couldn't really exercise much if at all as it affected her entire body.

TDEE would change if you added in exercise as most don't currently burn 1k a day...and if you found you liked it you would have to recalculate.

I still don't think 1k a day calorie burn is something that is needed or desired by most for weight loss...setting reasonable goals with a reasonable deficit doesn't guarantee success but having unreasonable goals will surely lead to downfall.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »

I'm 163lbs now and did a 33mile ultra yesterday with nearly 4000ft of total climbs in 8hrs and only burned about 4000 cals (so averaging 500 an hour).

OMG, can I just say that is amazing? I can only imagine the hard work that went into accomplishing that.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ya know - It would be really great to see people allowing others to figure out if their exercise burn calculations are correct on their own time and personal experience/results rather than the constant hijacking of threads that debate/criticize if someone on MFP is calculating their burns correctly. Especially when a member clearly is not asking for help with calculating burns in her OP. I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Rather than condescend to the OP as to why you wouldn't participate in her challenge that clearly seems to motivate her, move along!

smh. People.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    That's almost 2 hours of running or using a rowing machine for me. Doing that 7 days a week would turn my hobby into a chore. No thanks.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @OP - my only caution about such a challenge is the lack of rest day(s). That is hard core exercise stress and your body does need recovery, especially dependant on one's present fitness level. I never work out 7 days in a row because it affects my performance both in fitness and day to day living.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Nobody actually disputed that.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Sorry I missed the bit where she was claiming it was easy to do it in an hour. It seems the discussion has splintered between whether its possible to burn 1000 calories a day by exercise, whether the OP is being realistic in claiming she can do it easily in an hour( I doubt it) and whether you can burn calories to create a deficit.

Its possible to burn 1000 calories a day, it just takes time and you are more than likely going to need breaks. I found it easier to burn larger numbers of calories per hour when I weighed more, but now offset that with exercising with greater intensity and duration.
  • Calliope610
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can certainly state EASILY, based on my results and a 2 year spreadsheet tracking my results, that 1000 calorie burns in about 60-70 minutes of exercise is entirely possible.

Can you give examples of these exercise sessions? I am interested to see what I could do in order to earn calorie burns like these.