OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• JPNVZ
    JPNVZ Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You all pay the same dues. Gym "etiquette" can blow a goat. It's not a dining establishment.

Anyone that disrespects anyone for exercising how they do what they do needs to check themselves. Hell, this morning a very heavy gal took my spot every time she moved. I couldn't win. So I adapted, did a few different exercises and found new moves. Ended up winning in the end. It happens.

She was exercising. I respected the guts she had to do her thing.

Btw, I do curl drops in the rack all the time. All the hate makes me want to initiate calf raises and some ab work. People that actually complain about "get out of my squat rack" are new. Those that care enough about it find locations or build it at home. Smack talkers.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.

^^this.

When I lifted in a gym, I even used to offer to move from the power cage after squats to the squat rack as the squat rack had fixed (high) and most people under 6' could not even hit depth in it properly anyway. I usually run through my OHP sets pretty quickly anyway.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.

I totally disagree that its rude.

My squats can take over an hour. My OHP, if someone is waiting, can be done in 10 minutes.

Apparently, with this spare bar that appears to always be available in the scenarios given, I do not see why I cannot squat outside the squat rack for warm ups and not need a rack for about that 10 minutes. Heck, I can probably work in on my warm ups. No biggie.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It's not rude. Strongman competitors train their OHP in squat racks when they prepare for a competition that doesnt require them to clean the axle or log. Its a raw lift, just like squatting, how else will you do it unless in a rack?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If someone does OHP (or curls for that matter) and nobody is in the gym to see them, did it make a sound?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna OHP in the squat rack next time I go and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

So, would it be any better if I decided to do a high volume squat workout with say Squats, and Front Squats back to back?

I'd rather wait 10 minutes for someone doing OHP, as opposed to 30 mins for a high volume squat session.

My squats can take over an hour. My OHP, if someone is waiting, can be done in 10 minutes.

Apparently, with this spare bar that appears to always be available in the scenarios given, I do not see why I cannot squat outside the squat rack for warm ups and not need a rack for about that 10 minutes. Heck, I can probably work in on my warm ups. No biggie.

Not sure if aimed at me or Stef.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OHP in squat rack is normal.

Thinking otherwise shows a lack of knowledge
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Not sure if aimed at me or Stef.

Talking to you...you got a problem with that :p

Actually, I was agreeing with you (disagreeing with the poster you quoted) and then adding some chit chat ramble.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't consider it inappropriate to do OHP in the squat rack, even if there is only one. I would ask how many sets they have left and let them know you need it to squat.

This. I do OHP in the squat rack and have never had anyone complain.

I would second this as well ..

and I do OHP in the squat rack

besides, you get pretty damn tired if you had to clean and press 135# and then OHP it...

You sure about the bold?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

besides, you get pretty damn tired if you had to clean and press 135# and then OHP it...

You sure about the bold?

my rephrase would be it is not optimal to do it that way ...but I could be wrong..
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my opinion is that if the gym is more or less empty and your not going to make anyone wait then there's no reason not to use the squat rack for any lift you'd like, especially if there is no alternative equipment. I can only imagine that the reason people would assume its a bad etiquette to do this is because they see people shamed for it.

using the squat rack for another lift isn't inherently wrong, its just a pain in the *kitten* to those waiting use it for squats, so when no one is waiting, enjoy.
  • yopeeps025
    edited April 2015
    Options

You sure about the bold?

my rephrase would be it is not optimal to do it that way ...but I could be wrong..

try it. You might find that there isn't so much energy used deadlifting and cleaning 135 lb first before OHP.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options

[/quote]

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.[/quote]

idk, if there's no one waiting how exactly is it bad etiquette, is it bad etiquette to fart in an empty bathroom?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You sure about the bold?

try it. You might find that there isn't so much energy used deadlifting and cleaning 135 lb first before OHP.

Probably depends upon what % of your 1RM it is.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You sure about the bold?

Probably depends upon what % of your 1RM it is.

I guess I did assume that he could do 135 OHP for reps.

• natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways but I prefer to just press from a rack. Even though I have not gotten to a point in my overhead pressing that I couldn't clean the weight, I like to do the exercise as it is defined/described. If I wanted to do clean and press, I would call it that.

Oddly enough, sometimes I prefer to do my heavier reps with a clean though. Even though I still perform the rep as a strict press, I feel like it gives me some momentum going into the attempt. Even though I have this preference, my vote still goes for using the rack if available because a press is a press, not a clean and press from reps (a strongman event).

Bottom line is, who really cares how you do it as long as you are doing? Just be respectful of others. You are still improving something no matter how you go about doing the exercise.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    When I'm pressing 155 lbs, damn straight I'm in the squat rack. Deal with it.
    What about 160?