OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    would it also be poor etiquette to sit down on a bench that wasn't being used during a set brake in a more or less empty gym?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.

Where should you squat when someone is OHP in squat rack?

Actually seated OHP is a exercise that can be done from a bench.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    sdfrcf wrote: »
    I see more people using them for other exercises at my gym than I see them being used for squats (so disappointing). I say if no one is waiting for the rack then use it, if it's busy and people are waiting then do any exercise that doesn't require the rack elsewhere.

But you don't necessarily know who's waiting for the squat rack because they are probably off doing something else while waiting. You might think that guy doing lunges on the other end of the weight room just wanted to do some lunges but actually he's just keeping himself busy while you are improperly using the equipment he needs.

In my gym you know if you pay any attention. It's not a very busy gym and it's smaller.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    JarethG wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!

lulno.

I hope you're just kidding, because ya know... technique and shizz.

If you aren't kidding... lulz.

I know, it's impossible to have good technique when pressing from a clean. Those oly lifters don't know what they're doing....
    everyone on mfp is an olympic lifter.

olympic lifters are made in a cookie press.

it's so easy to oly lift, that's why everyone does it.

hmm, what other comments could I create that are akin to yours?

lulz. Again, technique. Also, let's not forget, jerk not press. Jerk not press. Jerk not press. Jerk not press. Arms used for control, not to press up the bar.

The clean and press was an Olympic evwnt
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mizzzc wrote: »
    my gym has a "squat rack" Is it a squat rack? Not a cage but has a level to put the bar on to be safely picked up for OHP. I could not imagine someone OHP ing 300+ pounds from the ground. I have a hard enough time OHPing 100 pounds from the ground.

I use the squat rack at my gym for ALL stronglift 5x5 programs. This is why I go in the morning. my gym also only has one squat rack and people are constantly using the squat rack for sit ups after work.

Anyways I'm off topic. It is completely fine to use the squat rack for OHP (assuming its the one that you can position the bar to be level with your chest).

Anyone that's pressing 300+ pounds over his/her head? I want to be there when some fool tries telling him/her that (s)he shouldn't be doing it in the squat rack.

Hahaha, good point. Apparently people don't have an issue giving that guy a hard time over the internet though.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Question. Has anyone ever notice if you do both ways to OHP that having the bar start at rack position helping putting up anymore weigh?

for example if I knew that I could do 10 more pounds with an extra rep or two from rack position than from ground then why not start from rack position.
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

There's a significant difference between standing & seated.

The correct answer isn't fewer people doing exercises that require adjustable height racked equipment, but the gym recognizing the need for more adjustable height racked free weight equipment in the first place.

How many isolation machines sit idle while people are waiting for the 1 or 2 power racks/squat racks? Gyms shouldn't throw money at stuff people don't use and put money where the membership that shows up is going to actually going to use.

The gym needs more racks.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

The correct answer isn't fewer people doing exercises that require adjustable height racked equipment, but the gym recognizing the need for more adjustable height racked free weight equipment in the first place.

How many isolation machines sit idle while people are waiting for the 1 or 2 power racks/squat racks? Gyms shouldn't throw money at stuff people don't use and put money where the membership that shows up is going to actually going to use.

My gym needs more free weights in general. Not enough 45 plates for me and someone else on the strong side to do two of the three big lifts. Last year it was worst though so my gym has improved a little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I'm pressing 155 lbs, damn straight I'm in the squat rack. Deal with it.
    What about 160?

negative. Only 155.

160- you have to back to cleaning.
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

This.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Where should someone squat when someone squatting is in the squat rack?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?

Unless its resistance bands. I'm totally still complaining if I see that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Strawman.

Where did I say/imply that?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Strawman.

I never said you did. I didn't imply anything. I asked a question.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Screw it - squat rack is taken?

Steinborn squat that sumbitch.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I think I'll invent an OHP rack...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Can I squat in it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Strawman.

I never said you did. I didn't imply anything. I asked a question.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.

No I did not and yes you did.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Can I squat in it?

No, not without upsetting those guys with really big shoulders and stick legs. But you can curl in it.