Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I think I'll invent an OHP rack...

adsmx5cuampq.jpg

Crap!

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Or gyms can have extra pins for the cage (assuming that you they are ones that you can set pins on the outside) so you can use them to set your OHP.

Easier to work in with someone squatting that way. Heck - easier to work in with another squatter.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dalhectar wrote: »
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.

Where should you squat when someone is OHP in squat rack?

Actually seated OHP is a exercise that can be done from a bench.

Where should someone squat when someone squatting is in the squat rack?

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?

Strawman.

Where did I say/imply that?
    I never said you did. I didn't imply anything. I asked a question.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.

No I did not and yes you did.
    To all the people that say it's wrong, where are you supposed to OHP? You can't do an OHP from a bench.

So what was this question? A joke? Sarcasm? Did I interpet this wrong?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

adsmx5cuampq.jpg

Crap!

lol.

Technically its not an OHP rack - you could just tweak it and rebrand it as such.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells. . .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So then no one should complaining when someone is using the squat rack to do any exercise?

Strawman.

What you did imply was that OHP and squats go hand in hand in the squat rack which I totally disagree with.

Neither. I was making a point that people have to wait if a power cage/squat rack is being used, or just work in.

It's probably easier to work in with someone OHP'ing.

For example, my OHP can be as quick as 10 minutes if someone is waiting. The person wanting to squat can do their warm ups during this time - either using the weight I have on the bar, or adding more. It is no real difference than working in with someone squatting - but much quicker - so timing is probably such that it is less of a disruption to their routine.

Also, I have no idea where you went from OHP/Squats to any lift/squats. I never said or implied that.

You asked a question earlier we how much you can lift from pins v cleaning the bar. I can lift more from pins and have less chance of injury. If I am doing OHP, I am training OHP. I am not training cleans. I need pins to get a decent OHP session in. I do not care where the pins are - but usually they are on the squat rack/power cage, so that is where I will press. However, as with any lift you are doing, you need to be respectful to other lifters and allow them to work in where possible. I also think that you should try to adapt your routine as much as you can to allow for squatters to use the power cage/squat rack - but within reason.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The reason people say don't curl in the squat rack, is because the rack provides NO ASSISTANCE to your movement. With OHP, that doesn't apply. When you're pressing enough, it becomes very difficult and unsafe to manipulate the bar into OHP position, especially if you have little to no experience with hang/power cleans. Thus, the use of the rack. Lifters who are experienced, understand this and wouldn't be the ones passing judgement if you're in the rack doing OHP. Don't second guess yourself, be safe, fxck what others think and use the rack!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My gym only has 1 squat rack. There isn't a power rack, there's a smith machine but I haven't heard good things about them.

Is it considered bad gym etiquette to do OHP in the squat rack? Cleaning the bar is getting quite tiresome and I'm just dreading the day something goes wrong when I can't get a rep out or something.

The squat rack I use is too short to OHP in, so I just set the pins on the outside ("front") of the rack and do it out there. I mean if you miss a rep you're just going to lower it back to your shoulders anyway, right? And if someone doesn't mind you being behind them then you could even OHP in front of the rack while they squat inside it.

I mean is everyone expected to power clean every OHP set? lulz

edit: was thinking power rack. for just a squat rack, idk, just hope no one asks you to leave, I guess.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Strawman.

Neither. I was making a point that people have to wait if a power cage/squat rack is being used, or just work in.

For example, my OHP can be as quick as 10 minutes if someone is waiting. The person wanting to squat can do their warm ups during this time - either using the weight I have on the bar, or adding more. It is no real difference than working in with someone squatting - but much quicker - so timing is probably such that it is less of a disruption to their routine.

Also, I have no idea where you went from OHP/Squats to any lift/squats. I never said or implied that.

You asked a question earlier we how much you can lift from pins v cleaning the bar. I can lift more from pins and have less chance of injury. If I am doing OHP, I am training OHP. I am not training cleans. I need pins to get a decent OHP session in. I do not care where the pins are - but usually they are on the squat rack/power cage, so that is where I will press. However, as with any lift you are doing, you need to be respectful to other lifters and allow them to work in where possible. I also think that you should try to adapt your routine as much as you can to allow for squatters to use the power cage/squat rack - but within reason.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

So if we are waiting or working in then we cannot complain when people use the rack to do any exercise.

interesting with your pins vs cleans.

Also I know your not using me per say but I only squat in the racks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I suppose those of you saying the One True Way™ to OHP is to clean the weight first simply lower your barbell full of iron plates gently back to the floor (like oly lifters do it *chuckle*), right?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

So if we are waiting or working in then we cannot complain when people use the rack to do any exercise.

False - when use of the rack makes sense (eliminates needing to clean the weight to OHP position, provides squatters w/ safety and accessibility, etc) then we cannot complain. When it does nothing to assist with the movement (curling in the rack) GTFO!!
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The reason people say don't curl in the squat rack, is because the rack provides NO ASSISTANCE to your movement. With OHP, that doesn't apply. When you're pressing enough, it becomes very difficult and unsafe to manipulate the bar into OHP position, especially if you have little to no experience with hang/power cleans. Thus, the use of the rack. Lifters who are experienced, understand this and wouldn't be the ones passing judgement if you're in the rack doing OHP. Don't second guess yourself, be safe, fxck what others think and use the rack!

good answer
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    My gym only has 1 squat rack. There isn't a power rack, there's a smith machine but I haven't heard good things about them.

Is it considered bad gym etiquette to do OHP in the squat rack? Cleaning the bar is getting quite tiresome and I'm just dreading the day something goes wrong when I can't get a rep out or something.

The squat rack I use is too short to OHP in, so I just set the pins on the outside ("front") of the rack and do it out there. I mean if you miss a rep you're just going to lower it back to your shoulders anyway, right? And if someone doesn't mind you being behind them then you could even OHP in front of the rack while they squat inside it.

edit: was thinking power rack. for just a squat rack, idk, just hope no one asks you to leave, I guess.

nope they can use the bench if it is setup properly (similar to pic below)
    ywzebia8u34z.jpg

...that's what I did until I got my squat rack at home.

I don't have issues with OHP'ing in the rack...even if there is just one rack...but if someone is waiting to do squats I would let them in and do what I mentioned above...because no I don't want to clean 90-100lbs (my OHP) for more than a couple reps...

If I wanted to do squats...I would ask them to either work me in or leave it for me as I needed it more than them...but that's only if there was one rack...
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

What is it with the strawmen?

Again...where did I say/imply that? If you read my response, it should be pretty clear that I did not.

You may only squat in the racks. I also do OHPs, for reasons already noted.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

ywzebia8u34z.jpg

I don't have issues with OHP'ing in the rack...even if there is just one rack...but if someone is waiting to do squats I would let them in and do what I mentioned above...because no I don't want to clean 90-100lbs (my OHP) for more than a couple reps...

If I wanted to do squats...I would ask them to either work me in or leave it for me as I needed it more than them...but that's only if there was one rack...

Ah yeah good call, not sure how high those usually go, but that makes sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yeah. I do not use a power cage to OHP in for the safeties - just the pins. I wish more gyms had equipment that allowed more flexibility (and had more power cages) so you do not need to use a power cage. Unfortunately some power cages do not allow for pins to be set on the ouside. Would be good if they did (assuming a spare bar obviously) as it would also be easier to work in squats.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

ywzebia8u34z.jpg

I have tried to unrack from benches before - unfortunately, the bench is too far back and I cannot get a good position - I end up having to lean over which is not ideal at all. If it is set up so you can, then I would try - but then again, you are now using a bench and the benchers will start complaining!!

• yopeeps025
    Options

Strawman.

Your first sentence.
    [/b]

What is it with the strawmen?

Again...where did I say/imply that? If you read my response, it should be pretty clear that I did not.

You may only squat in the racks. I also do OHPs, for reasons already noted.
    While yes you are only talking about OHP and Squats I was not. I was talking about any exercise in the rack.

For example. today is squat day for me on 5/3/1 program. I know 100% that when I go to the gym today that the rack will be in use. My gym only has one because we love to be a weak community college. 90% of the time it not squats or rack pulls. I'm going to ask how many sets person has doing whatever exercise it is. If another bar is available I will do my warm up sets with dl,clean,OHP to back squat. It gets to a certain point where I need to pins. People do notice that in the past and have given up doing something other then squats in the rack so I could continue to increase weight in the rack. It usually the person either curling or doing shoulder shrugs in the rack. Thinking about gym goers at my gym, people are not OHP in the squat rack.

As much as I like to work in with someone it would almost take more time to lift than I lift, change weight, then set timer to 60 seconds.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm going to deadlift in front of power rack then squat my volume day in said rack tonight. I will tie it up for an hour. Is that ok? My credit card was charged today so I believe it'll be fine.