Whenever I eat my calore deficit I don't lose weight

Options

Replies

• novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you are truly only taking in 1200 or fewer calories, on a consistent basis, you could be in a metabolic shut down. Around 1200 calories is what your body needs to maintain your weight at rest RMR (resting metabolic rate). If you are indeed exercising 5 days a week, then your body needs more calories. Also, your calories should be divided evenly throughout the day (b, l d, s). Your body could be learning to live on it's minimal amount of calories. If you have been a compulsive dieter throughout the years, you may be more vulnerable to a metabolic stagnation. You could also get your thyroid checked to be sure your metabolism is functioning properly. NOW, if it the problem is that you are really eating more than 1200 calories, sometimes the problem is that we only eat 1200 most days but then we go "off" and binge, consuming way too many calories. Irratic eating behaviors can cause your metabolism to not run at peak. If you are trying to lose weight as fast as you can, I would recommend you take a deep breath and focus on moderation and balance. When it comes to weight loss, the turtle tends to win the race, long term. Good luck to you. I hope you figure it out so you can achieve your goals!

Coach, this is *kitten*. To be at the point that you're encountering "metabolic shut down" you literally need to be on the verge of hospitalization for low body weight. She has plenty of energy stored up....thats what adipose tissue is, she could eat nothing and still have plenty of energy to use. Stop the *kitten*.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    ajocec wrote: »
    I am 5'6 currently 180. SW 220, started MFP at 196 Mid-March. I know that is a big weight loss however that has been because of the days I've eaten very little. I do not weigh my food as I have a daily job. I do always log as accurately as possible. Thank you for your help with this!

Most people on here who weigh food have a job, usually the trick is to prepare what you're going to eat at work when you're at home and pre-log it. If you're not losing weight, what you're entering isn't any where near accurate enough. Want to guarantee you'll lose weight, you've got to be accurate. Working is no barrier to this, it's just a challenge. If you want it to be an excuse which stops you from putting in the effort though, you've already given yourself that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are truly only taking in 1200 or fewer calories, on a consistent basis, you could be in a metabolic shut down. Around 1200 calories is what your body needs to maintain your weight at rest RMR (resting metabolic rate). If you are indeed exercising 5 days a week, then your body needs more calories. Also, your calories should be divided evenly throughout the day (b, l d, s). Your body could be learning to live on it's minimal amount of calories. If you have been a compulsive dieter throughout the years, you may be more vulnerable to a metabolic stagnation. You could also get your thyroid checked to be sure your metabolism is functioning properly. NOW, if it the problem is that you are really eating more than 1200 calories, sometimes the problem is that we only eat 1200 most days but then we go "off" and binge, consuming way too many calories. Irratic eating behaviors can cause your metabolism to not run at peak. If you are trying to lose weight as fast as you can, I would recommend you take a deep breath and focus on moderation and balance. When it comes to weight loss, the turtle tends to win the race, long term. Good luck to you. I hope you figure it out so you can achieve your goals!

That isn't correct, I would guess her BMR is much higher than 1200 cals. and your metabolism does not shut down, it slows slightly in such a way that what you calculated to be a 1000 cal deficit may only be 700-900 deficit, but still a deficit so weight loss will still occur, just a little slower than you would expect.

OP, 16 lbs in a month is not a weigh gain or plateau. Most likely any gain you see after eating 1200 cals is water weight due to more sodium. I would suggest eating 1500ish cal/day (or with the amount you have to lose you should be aiming for 1 lb/week goal, and eat back what you burn from exercise), try that for 3-4 weeks, if you don't lose, or lose to much re-evaluate at that time.

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well OP you're not a troll it looks like, you just don't know what to do.

I see guesses in your diary. Things like cauliflower fried rice that is assuredly more than 200 calories if it involves fried rice. To know what you're eating you have to either cook your own food so you can keep track of the ingredients or you have to eat food with nutrition information you can find. This excludes restaurants and cafeteria food that don't have nutritional information; these typically have a lot of oil to make them taste good but those are a lot of hidden calories.

When you're accurately logging your food, find your TDEE and aim for a 500 calorie deficit each day, ignoring exercise and calories burned from activity. Almost everybody estimates their calories burned on here and almost everybody is overestimating them. I've seen people claim to burn a thousand calories doing 45 minutes of cardio.

Ignore exercise, accurately log food, aim for TDEE - 500 each day. Do this consistently for weeks. Message me after you've followed those instructions and if you still haven't lost weight I know of a few laboratories that would like to study someone who defies the laws of thermodynamics.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

As already covered....no^^
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ajocec wrote: »
    I am 5'6 currently 180. SW 220, started MFP at 196 Mid-March. I know that is a big weight loss however that has been because of the days I've eaten very little. I do not weigh my food as I have a daily job. I do always log as accurately as possible. Thank you for your help with this!
    So you believe that people that weigh there foods don't have jobs?

Yeah man like how steven thinks that everyone who lifts is a meathead. In for the unemployed crew who weighs out food.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you are doing is working very well. In fact, it may be working too quickly. Honestly, I think you need to reconsider weighing food and increase calories (because you are losing really fast... perhaps too fast).

The other thing you need is to keep some perspective and find ways to reduce your anxiety. It sounds like you are wanting results overnight and that is unrealistic. Calm down, target a more realistic 1 lb./week goal and stop weighing yourself every day. Weigh every week at most.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Also, your calories should be divided evenly throughout the day (b, l d, s).
    Just one of many fundamentally flawed statements in that wall of text.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't need an open diary to know the issue is you are eating more than you think.

But I took a peek...partial days, some days nothing...some days 600...some days 1700 and you recently went from 1500 to 1200...

no consistency in logging at all. And I highly doubt you are exercising away as many calories as you log if you are eating 1200 and less. 45min of vigorous stationary biking...sure, if you are eating lots of food for fuel.

but 16lbs in 1 month?

• katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sixteen pounds in a month sounds like you are losing very successfully. When you are stalled or in a plateau, this is a good eye opener:
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/comment-page-1/#comments
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CoachBarb does bring up one good point that is a problem with aiming for 1200 calories a day... If you feel like you're restricting yourself too much or you've been prone to binging in the past, its doomed to fail. Weight loss is a long term process. Not something you do for a few weeks and then its over. If you think about the way you've been eating for the past month, is this something you can see yourself doing for the next 6-12 months? If not, start thinking of solutions.

A couple of ideas:

1) Aim just a little higher. 1400-1600 is my recommendation from personal experience. It gives a little more room for snacks, larger meals. You can fit in occasional treats.

2) Take 1-2 days a month where you aim to eat at maintenance. Based on the stats you stated, this would be ~2000-2200 per day. Maybe you won't feel the need to eat quite that high, but feeling like you can add an extra 500-800 calories every now & then may help you stick to the deficit for the long term.

My story: I started at 178.5 on 12-25-13. (Had been higher previously, but did the usual on-again, off-again process.) I got down below 130 on 10-11-14. Now I maintain between ~123-128. I'm 5'5.5", 40 years old. So older than you, but otherwise similar stats. I ate between 1400-1600 for about the first 6 months of 2014. Then went to 1600-1800 (decreased my deficit as I got closer to goal).

I did use a food scale heavily while losing, and now about 1/2 the time while maintaining. I'm not terribly active though, so found that I needed the accuracy.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Some of you people are just mean. Poor wording or choices of words on the OP post. The topic is posted under weight loss and help, therefore this person is looking for help. We all aren't equipped with the right tools to lose weight or start an exercise/health plan. The most important thing is that this person is starting and trying to better her habits by seeking advice on here. Remember back to when you were starting and the questions you had (dumb or not). Be kind people. Be kind.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also, here is a wonderful example of the benefit of a food scale versus measuring cups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&feature=youtu.be
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some of you people are just mean. Poor wording or choices of words on the OP post. The topic is posted under weight loss and help, therefore this person is looking for help. We all aren't equipped with the right tools to lose weight or start an exercise/health plan. The most important thing is that this person is starting and trying to better her habits by seeking advice on here. Remember back to when you were starting and the questions you had (dumb or not). Be kind people. Be kind.

OP has received some really good advice so far (and at least one portion of not-so-good advice).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

OP has received some really good advice so far (and at least one portion of not-so-good advice).

Comes in complaining about the way OP is getting advice......than forgets to leave any.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Absolutely, always some good and some bad. :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Comes in complaining about the way OP is getting advice......than forgets to leave any.

Just be nice, man. Nicely worded bad info is much better than 2x4 to the head delivery of good information. People need to be coddled here.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

Just be nice, man. Nicely worded bad info is much better than 2x4 to the head delivery of good information. People need to be coddled here .
    Yep.