WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.Unpacking,de clutter and organizing.Got the bedroom done for now,still have totes fro old house.Got rid of 1 garbage bag of junk.Do I really need tiny pieces of yarn and 25 old bags.Feel like im accomplishing something,by not putting the same clutter in drawers to deal with later,It`s amazing how much more room I have.It`s gonna take longer to unpack,but I`ve save stuff for 50+ years and just keep bring my stuff to each move.
    Haven`t been online a lot,but try to read the posts in between.Hope everyone is ok.
    Hugs to all
    Jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla, Yes, I do use Healthgrades. We live in a small town about 100 miles south of Kansas City, and a lot of our doctors are not rated. The ones in Joplin seem to have more ratings, just because it's a bigger town, but apparently in Missouri they can't collect info on malpractice, which I thought was interesting. Why not? My old (retiring) doc recommended that I look for a woman doctor, and she gave me the name of one here in town. I said that I had heard bad things about her and she said that being a small town you are going to hear bad things about every doctor. (That is probably true.) One friend here said that she went to this other doctor several years ago and got miffed at her because she wanted to take her 15 year old daughter in for a checkup and the doc said OK, but I'll tell you right now that I don't prescribe birth control pills. My friend's issue with that was 1.) that the doc assumed that her daughter was sexually active at 15, and 2.) that she being awfully judgmental in general, based on her own beliefs which she was foisting off onto other people. Well, I have no need for birth control pills, but I hesitate to visit a doctor who is a religious zealot.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to call this one just because I don't have many options left. I'm currently in medical limbo without a primary care doctor.

The gastro guy's office just called and said that the results of my barium swallow xray were normal, which is a relief. I think that means no Crohn's disease. So, they gave me his cell phone number and said to call him if I feel another attack coming on.

I did some glaze tests this morning and started the kiln, so that's something. Once I see these results I can get busy.

Bye again.

Sylvia
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Trying to catch up with all the posts. My vertigo seems to be getting a little better, but now I'm coming down with some sort of flu. I think I picked it up from the folks.

Thought for the day: The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball

Carey - Edmonton
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Something you will rarely hear me say, but today is true:

It's a tequila sunrise kind of day.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Something you will rarely hear me say, but today is true:

It's a tequila sunrise kind of day.

COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Terri - your dinner sounds delish! :) and the tequila sunrise! Thankyou for your kind words.

Thank you my friends for your kind words about my funk over the book.

Barbie - G R is so right about that. Thanks :flowerforyou:
    Katla - the era it is set in must be middle to late 70s. The main thing I noticed as I was re-rereading the book is the lack of mobile phones and email. It feels like the times were in slow motion as far as communications go. How things have changed in our lifetime. It really is a period piece!

Today I have been in total collapse and have not dared open the proof file for the book. I need DH to be there for me to keep me calm. He is at cricket. I had a nap this pm as I felt sick with lack of sleep and I do feel a lot calmer now. I am completely confused as to which day it is. It feels like a weekend with him absent. The sun is shining so I had better water some pots and seeds.
    Tonight's dinner is sea bass, roasted cauliflower, mushy peas and new potatoes for DH. For dessert it's home grown rhubarb and homemade yoghurt.
    Kim - are you still making the yoghurt?

Jane - you are doing great with the sorting out. WTG! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :flowerforyou:

Love to all. Heather, feeling better in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png

PS - forgot to say I got a cheque in the post today for my picture book WELL I NEVER. Italian royalties! Well timed and totally unexpected. The book is 25 years old!
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies, I’ve been on travel and then had visitors the last week, so missed lots of posts! Hope you are all doing great and enjoying spring. Can’t wait to get some gardening/yard work in.

I didn’t log food during these last several days of craziness (yes bad me, I need to get myself to do that), but I did recently get a fit bit, and managed to walk a lot at least. Last Saturday I walked 16500 steps! From the Verizon Center in DC (Caps game), to the tidal basin (view the Cherry blossoms, which was pretty much impossible in the crowds), then over to Georgetown for drinks on the water front and then Italian dinner.

I’ve logged 45 miles since April 2; avg of 8200 steps per day, so just a little short of my 10k steps per day goal. I’m earning Fitbit calorie adjustments of between 250 and 750 cals per day.

I love the daily stats that many of you post. Regular movement is my next step now that I mostly have my eating under control.

Here’s my stats for yesterday:
    2831 cals
    10031 steps
    27 floors climbed (there’s a big hill between my house and dock which I went up and down several times yesterday. We took our guests for a boat ride, and afterwards my DH managed to drop his glasses off the dock. He is quite blind and needs them, so he put on a wetsuit, hopped in the water and promptly jumped back out – water still 55 deg. So he scrambled around with a net and found them with minutes to go before he had to leave for a flight. Much scrambling around up and down the hill to get this done ☺).

My daughter from San Diego is in town for the rest of the week, we are both looking forward to some good healthy meals now that the rest of our visitors are gone!

Cindy in SoMD
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quick nip in here to say hi!
    Xxx
    Jackie
    Don't forget the swearpig.com charity auction ...my Mucky Pig &nx52jbbjzj4m.jpg
    Pinky Pig go under the hammer on E.Bay 20th 21st April ...90%of proceeds go to The Macmillan Charity.
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fqe1ay2la8cf.jpg
    vqcb8z6t5f9t.jpg

www.facebook.com/handpaintedbyjdw
    Take a peek!
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Just tried to take a photo of the piebald foal in the field behind us for you horsey people. The mother took one look at me and shielded her foal and then walked off with him/her behind her. Mother love! <3
    Heather
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jdw - fantastic pigs! H x x x

Just realised I am in the grip of a binge. :ohwell: Triggered by stress, DH's absence, and alcohol. Enough! ! ! ! Cheese, chocolate. Haven't done this in a long, long while. DH is upstairs watching soccer. Over it now. Forgive myself. :love:

Heather x x x
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Had a great day in a second grade class. There was also a helpful student teacher. Needed that.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just checking in -- skimmed many, many pages trying to catch up! Well, I spent several days before Easter in NM for my sister's funeral, flew home Saturday, cleaned house, did laundry also, then sang at church Sunday & had company over for Easter dinner, then went back to work & spent the week trying to catch up on the days out (including last Saturday), then church again & house chores Sunday. Back to work Monday, with out-of-town overnight guests after work yesterday. I'm ready for no priorities for a couple of weeks!

Will try to be more regular in my reading and logging again.

I did enjoy the real-deal, genuine sopaipillas in NM, though!! Delicious. There was a lot of eating out there and I think I had Hatch green chili with almost every meal.

Seem to have lost my exercise initiative again, so have to get that back on track again.

Hope ya'll have a good night.

Gail, metro ATL
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you about a great dish I made for dinner. I took a boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut a pocket and stuffed with sautéed spinach and laughing cow swiss garlic and herb cheese. I baked in oven. It was so good I will definitely make again!

I hope everyone has a great evening.

Beth in Maine
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Lost power from 3.30 to 7.30pm yesterday so could not cook. Went to Chinese in Somerset, not too happy but oh well. Cals OK at 1697. Could not do second walk with dog as all BLACK down here.
    Food today = 1879, training = 517 cals
    Jillian's Burn fat boost metabolism, Jeannette's SA Cardio sculpt and Blast belly, walk dog for training
    Blaize was good in car, no sick either time and slept really well again.
    Lesley Tasmania
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oh what a night. Bad tummy and about 3 am it got worse. I didn't sleep at all. Finally felt better about 8:30am. Been wiped out all day.
    My DH has been taking good care of me. :smiley: Read all the posts but didn't take notes so I'll just say hello and I'll come back tomorrow.

Sue in TX
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Cilantro … maybe someone already mentioned this … but our feelings about cilantro come from our DNA. There actually is genetic coding in each of us that determines whether we love or hate it! And there seems to be no middle ground.

Sharon … so sorry that you have to go through this with your husband … Hugs to you!

Kim … I’ve retrieved interesting things out of our pool … one year a dead opossum! Most of the time mice and snakes.

Oh Margaret … hugs to you too!

Heather … so glad husband didn’t break a tooth! And glad he liked the future surgeon too. And yay on pressing that final send button!!

DrKatiebug … anytime I fill for our pastor (I only do teaching … not preaching duties) I am also exhausted. This tells me that you put a lot of time and effort into your responsibilities. Be sure and “refill” you this week!

Sylvia … definitely continue to shop for a new doctor! He was out after three strikes … but missing on a medication with your health is the clincher! If you can’t trust your doctor to order what’s best for you, then what good is he??

Joyce … glad your husband’s exam went well … but you guys are scaring me about retirement!

Barbie … paying property taxes adds to your joy of home ownership? At first I thought you were being sarcastic … but knowing your uplifting look on life, I suspect you really do enjoy this ritual.

Katla … hope you’re feeling well soon.

Beth in Maine … your dinner sounds easy and good! A perfect combination!

Alison … keeping my fingers crossed with your application.

Lesley … sounds like Blaize is settling in.

Today was busy, but good. Went to the gym … by myself … which had not been my intent … and felt good about it. Kept the calories under control and ate better than I have been. Need to string a couple of these days together.

Beth in WNY

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Good Tuesday. Weigh in this morning was not good, I am up almost 2 pounds. I really have to get a handle on this and get back on track. Not sure why Iam having so much trouble. Not giving up. New day new start.

Welcome to all the new comers. This is a great place for support and fellowship. Come often and get to know us and us to know you.

Rita--Thanks for sharing the books on dealing with our adult children. I will check them out.

Joyce--love the song.

Sylvia--Great NSV.

Michele--What a nice thing taking food to your freind that is hurt. DSS loves Ryan's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Lesley--I tried to lookup Toms summer challenge and must not be doing something right. I was woundering as you talk about doing a spreadsheet and thought I would like to check it out. Is there a web site to go to for more information? Happy B-lated birthday.

Naiomi--enjoyed the picture, made me want to reach out and pet him.

Beth--Sending HUGS and PRAYERS that this week is better. I know mine is and I am Thankful.

Teri--The concert sounds like it was so much fun. DH brought us tickets to see Newcomers at the State Fair last part of Sept. So looking forward to that.

Carol--Have to say I would done the same thing, bet Spot was proud.

Kim--Sure hope your ankle is better fast.

Heather--Thanks for sharing the beautiful flowers. How worrison about DS#1. It is hard when I we can do is love them and be there for them. Sending Prayers.

Allison--I say GO FOR IT!!!

Well once again I am not caught up will work on that tomorrow. After work today DH and I took the furbabies for a walk and we beat our length. Feel good about that. Have a good evening ladies and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, I fought the binge and the binge won today. Around 800 calories over today even with 11,000 steps. However, as soon as the binge was done (I ate a massive amount of cake at work), I made up my mind that I was back on track immediately. I did end up eating a bowl of Protein Cheerios for dinner because my stomach was growling and I have enough trouble sleeping without adding growlies to the mix.

After work, I picked up my daughter and we went to the old house and picked up a few things that had been missed in the moving process. Someone had cut my chain link fence---only heaven knows why--the gate is not locked! My yard had been messed with (I can't say taken care of) and whoever it was trimmed bushes that didn't need to be trimmed and completely cut down a large unusual hydrangea at the end of the house. My next door neighbors said they almost went out and told them to stop destroying my bushes. I wish they had! There will be a hearing about the foreclosure tomorrow. I don't know if I will have access to the house after that.

I can't put my finger on what is causing it but the depression has hit me again over the past couple of days. Today was very dark.

Best wishes to everyone!

Carol in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day, forgot to take my lock, so I couldn't bike to the fake bake -
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.47min, 16.3mph 2.9mi- 108c
    lateral machine - 31min, , 88aw, 2637strides, 52floors, 7-12resistance, 5lat, 2.63mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.36min, 11.5amph, 1.4mi - 61c
    ride dome 2 hm - 17.39min, 9.1amph, 2.6mi = 186c
    total cal 591