WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sylvia what good news that you can now get the information you need with the 'password'. Your hubby is definitely a STAR.

Heather book ordered and I should be able to start reading tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Joyce, thanks for saying you will message to find out if spiralizer has been used yet. I would love to see if it helps.
    Bet your place will smell lovely for a long time!
    I keep saying 'no thank you' when people offer me things. Luckily because of the times I have moved house over the last few years they are not surprised.

drkatiebug sending prayers for your family too.

Yanniejannie your event sounds wonderful and how great that so many people turned up for it.
    Must have been something either very expensive or sugar sweet in the store and the pain in foot was your escape!!

My fella was here for the weekend (we only see each other every couple of weeks or sometimes longer). We visited my mum and then went to see the sea - always a pleasure for us.
    I have forgotten how to add my 'ticker' but am another 2 pounds down. Still a long way to go but I am happy.

Gilly, Suffolk UK

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: You and your son’s family are in my prayers. A lawyer seems like a good step. Your hubby must excel at diplomacy. Thank goodness you now have access to information on your son’s situation. I’ll keep all of you in my prayers. Carol’s suggestion about the POA’s for your son’s health and legal instructions for his children's care if he is too sick to care for them is very good.

Allison: Lyme disease can have hideous effects. I hope your DB gets treatment early.

Carol in GA: I planted star jasmine on the east side of my house two years ago. It is surviving, but I haven’s seen many blooms yet. I love the fragrance. I’ve also heard it referred to as jessamine. I planted two hardy gardenia bushes in insulated pots in my yard. I put them in pots so I could bring them inside for shelter in extreme cold. They also have a nice fragrance, but I'll admit I don't get a whiff very often. Now that California weather has moved here, they could probably go in the ground. I’ll wait and see. I’d like to get our old weather patterns back.

Patricia in Greenville NC & Karen from AL: You have found the support you hoped for. All you need to do is stop by every day and join the conversation, count calories and move more. This group of women is amazing. Post often and get to know people.

I’m still suffering from power washing the boat day before yesterday, but yesterday’s yoga class really helped. I wish I had a yoga class again today. I will be going with my neighbor while she does zumba and I ride the spin cycle. I think almost any movement that doesn’t involve a power washer is likely to help. :laugh: I’ve been reading Younger Next Year for Women at the recommendation of two members of our group. According to the book, I should be hitting the gym 6 days a week unless I’m on vacation. I doubt I’ll make it, but anything can happen. I am currently going 5 days a week and I would have never predicted that! What is even more astonishing is that I like going to the gym and think it is fun.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm so glad that you now have the password, don't let that stop you from going the legal route as well.

Michele: Taking MNMargaret's suggestion a little further... could you take a digital picture and then use Paint, Photo Shop or Picasa or some other photo editing software and color it. Then blow up the photo close to actual size and place it to see what it looks like?

Joyce-Indiana: Glad the weight is going the right way now. I need to remember how much wisdom ways too! :bigsmile:

Gilly: Way to Go!!!!

Welcome to everyone new.

Thought for the day: Always Do Your Best. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret. - Miguel Angel Ruiz

I'm going to try out a different Tai Chi class, here's hoping I can last through the longer class time.

Carey-Edmonton
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Gilly - a friend of mine got a Veg-etti from Bed Bath and Beyond, and she swears it is the greatest thing on earth. She makes spaghetti out of almost any vegetable. I don't have any knowledge of the spiralizer.

Sylvia - Hugs and Prayers. I'm glad things are moving in the right direction, and hope it ends well and soon. (((HUGS)))

Janet - which thumb is giving you trouble. I hope it's not your "bowling thumb" because it's hard to learn to bowl with the opposite arm/hand. You could, however, learn the 2-handed method. It causes some crazy hooks sometimes,so fun to watch.

Tonight I am going with my Dad to see "The Age of Adaline". I brought my 2 calorie butter flavored salt shaker, so I can fit popcorn into my calories today. I just finished making 2 more hats and a headband. The hats are a little tight on me, so I'll definitely be giving them away (girl colors). The headband is perfect, in the shade of Green for DS's school colors. I wore it at Sunday's baseball game, and many people said I looked like the Irish Dancers, with my red curls popping up on top of the headband. I just know it kept my ears warm in the cool rainy wind. Yesterday I held my front plank for 25 seconds and both side planks for 20 seconds each.

So many people on this thread are struggling. I hope you all know that I pray for everyone every day - challenges or not. I also offer up prayers of thanks for everyone who is doing well in their lives. Rejoice ! ! !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where we just had a 15 minute hail storm while the sun was shining.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm - i just go to the rack and get bike shorts, don't ask for help anymore, they all have padding. the more panels they have the better they made and last i have found.

i should correct myself, depending on the brand, not ALL bike shorts are slightly higher in the back.

as with everyone else, you are in my thoughts sylvia.

damnit!, yup that be it that c word...

welcome to all the new peepheads!

i've only ridden into work from the gym 4 times, i thought it was more... oh well. I changed over to a slightly smaller backback, one that we've had... we'll see if that one is just not so big... don't think i'll hit 1k calories today.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    They woke him a little while ago, up and removed the breathing tube, so things are looking up. He's awfully out of it, and drugged. They are keeping him a few days. I got to go in to see him for a few minutes. His doctor is totally useless.

As far as the status between him and DDIL, I cant figure it out. They were holding hands for Petes sake!

I'm going to nap for a couple of hours. Been awake 28 hours straight. Not good for me, and I have to drive to Joplin after noon.

Have a great day.

Sylvia
  • bonitas
    bonitas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    holy crap-o-la's a lot of posts already!

• bonitas
    bonitas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi..this is my FIRST post/reply?
    Not even sure I am doing it correctly yet. Lol.
    Bon
    Everett..WASHINGTON
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Welcome Bon (and anyone else who is new). Don't forget to click on the star just to the right above the posts, so you can find us again later. B)
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Welcome to the new ladies joining us! This is a wonderful place full of encouragement and support.

Selena - my counter was restarted again too. I thought I had logged each day but maybe something wasn't processed. Funny thing is I think I was bumped back to day 10 or something when I was up to day 46 or 47. It doesn't seem like it took me back to day one.

Sylvia - so sorry to hear about your son and the situation at the hospital. Your DH is wonderful for going over there after midnight to talk to her. I'm sure he knew how much you were worrying without having any information. It is definitely time for your son to get POAs set up for medical and care of the children. Even in the best of circumstances with families, things get messy quickly.

Jane - hope you get the rest you need. People ask if we plan on moving once I retire and really the thought of having to pack the house is enough to keep us here as long as things don't get too bad. We are planning on tackling a room at a time to downsize all of the 'stuff'. I told my DH I don't want to keep anything that has to be in boxes unless it is seasonal like the Christmas things. If there isn't room to have it out and used, it goes.

Barbie - love the saying for healthy living!

Yanniejannie - glad the pain in your foot didn't last. Wonderful that your event turned out so well and no negative comments!!

Sylvia - I'm sure you looked great in your outfit. If you can fit in a size 12, you know you can't be big. When I was in high school, my goal was to fit my sister's pants. Sounds weird but I was always the 'heavy' one and she was always complaining how skinny she was. I started exercising and lost some weight but I still thought and saw myself at my high weight. I knew if I could wear her pants than I must be her size, slim! So I used that as my guide. Finally the day came where they fit so I knew no matter what I thought I saw in the mirror, I couldn't still be fat. A few days later I had to walk up to the teacher's desk in the front of the class, something I always hated doing because I was fat and tall, and a boy actually said, "Excuse me slim, can you move to the right a little, I can't see part of the board". It took me several minutes to realize he was talking to me and he called me SLIM! I was walking on air the rest of the day. :blush:

Cynthia - I'm with you too. I put back on a little over 15 pounds but working again on getting rid of them. We can do this!!

Heather - love the cover of your book. Can't wait to get it to read.

Have to go get ready to head out. I'm working from home today and we want to open a new account at a Credit Union that is close to home. Will be moving the money from the one at work. No use having to make that 1 1/2 drive back there once I retire. Also, have to have a paper notarized for my retirement and they will do it for free if you have an account with them.

Sun is shining after storms last night,
    Tina in MD

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Afternon Ladies,

Patricia, welcome. Most of us here have tried different “diets” over the years and know that they don’t work. This lifestyle change and eating healthy does work. This is a great place for support and information, so we hope you will visit often.

Gilly, great going on the 2 pounds. You should be proud.

Katla, isn’t it wonderful that with the support of this group, we have started exercising when it was not even on our radar in the beginning.

Sylvia, since DS was out of it, maybe what you observed was “her” holding his hand? Who knows. I’m just glad to hear he is better.

Everett,(Not sure if that's your name or city?) welcome to this forum. Please tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you. Come often for lots of support and information.

I had this in an email a friend sent and thought it was so cute that I wanted to share it with you:

The computer swallowed Grandma,
    Yes, honestly it’s true!
    She pressed 'control and 'enter'
    And disappeared from view.
    It devoured her completely,
    The thought just makes me squirm.
    She must have caught a virus
    Or been eaten by a worm.
    I've searched through the recycle bin
    And files of every kind;
    I've even used the Internet,
    But nothing did I find.
    In desperation, I asked Mr. Google
    My searches to refine.
    The reply from him was negative,
    Not a thing was found 'online.'
    So, if inside your 'Inbox,'
    My Grandma you should see,
    Please 'Copy, Scan' and 'Paste' her,
    And send her back to me.

This is a tribute to all the Grandmas & Grandpas
    who have been fearless and learned to use the Computer.........
    They are the greatest!!!

I'm back again so soon because I've been trying on more clothes and weeding out my closet. I evidently am resisting doing my exercises and don't know why, other than I am lazy. I ordered Heather's book and looking forward to reading it. Also anxious to see what she considers X or R rated?

Keep up the good work ladies and best-est wishes to you all.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Damitjanit just taking a break from logging for now. Glad it is working for you. It is a great tool that is always available.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I feel terrible that you are going through this situation -- mothers are always mothers and don't cotton to being left out in such a horrible fashion when the kids are grown -- hope things turn around for the better real soon!
    I am down that one vacation pound today and got some good advice on upping my protein and fiber so hopefully I won't be getting those hunger pangs right after work -- that is my weakest time, it seems.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much to all who have ordered my book. <3 Love you all.

Add me to the list of those who never thought they would exercise. :ohwell: The only exercise I have ever enjoyed was dancing and tennis when I was younger. Funnily enough, I can't do those now because of my knee. Oh, and I also liked swimming. Just before we left London DH started dragging me off to the local gym and after we moved he splashed out on a couple of machines as we were far from a gym. Now we have three. I very gradually built up and now I do 536 calories on them 6 days a week. Then I do 64 calories weight and strength training. The 7th day I do yoga.
    Some days I moan and groan, some days I really don't want to do it, but it really is worth it and the transformation in my life has been miraculous. I used to be a shambling, obese, semi-cripple who was breathless walking along the flat for 50 yards. I also think it has had effects in other ways.
    The first thing I noticed was that my phobia about music in shops and restaurants had gone. Then I started to get more organised and disciplined in my general life. I left untidiness and chaos behind. My self esteem increased and I began to believe in myself again. A woman who can torture herself for an hour and three quarters a day must have something going for her. :laugh: Hence my deciding to do something about my book after all these years.
    I just wish someone had been able to convince me years ago of the benefits of exercising, but I don't think I would have believed them!
    Hugs to all who are struggling and hi fives to the losers this week! :laugh:

Heather in still sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: I read "spin cycle" and thought of you sitting on a washing machine! :D

Sylvia: so far, so good. Remember to (try to) eat, sleep and breathe.

Cynthia (having a good food day so far)
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Oh, I enjoyed the Organic Kale chips I made for yesterday. I washed the Kale a few days ago so it would be dry. I tore it into pieces about the size of a tortilla chip and put them in a ziploc baggie. Then I added a teaspoon of Olive Oil, and shook the bag. Then I added a few dashes of garlic salt and shook the bag again. I poured them onto the shelves of my dehydrator, and left them there about 3-4 hours. They were crisp, but none were burned. Very easy.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Janet, love the Grandma poem!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It was so nice to relax and get back to my normal schedule today. I was able to exercise this morning and then go swimming with my DSisIL. I thought it was spring, but I woke up to a snowstorm! It didn't last very long thank goodness!

YannieJannie - maybe it's neralgia, nerve pain?

Sylvia - your outfit sounds great. Cameras add 10 lbs! I'm sure you looked beautiful. I think your slipper story was hilarious!

Pip - how did your skinny bike ride? Can you tell the difference?

Michele in NC - you really are committed to exercising! I'm not sure what color I would paint the turtle. Can you take a picture of it so we can see it's character?

Meg - I enjoy what I call swimming! More like treading water but it really loosens up my joints. I have missed it for 3 weeks and will finally be able to go tomorrow and Thursday!

Silvia sorry to hear about your son. When your son is better you just need to have him make you power of attorney. And have him write a health directive with you as his agent. You have a wonderful husband!

Joyce - what a day! Too bad about that detergent.

Patricia - welcome to this site! It sounds like you are on the right track.

Janet - thanks, I couldn't let that one go by!

Karen - you have come to the right place!

Gilly - it's nice that you have that type of relationship. congratulations on the weight loss!

Katla - do they recommend going to the gym to socialize as well or just to work out? I want to read that book I just haven't had time to order that and Heather's as well.

Carey - thanks for the thought for the day!

Terri - it is so nice to able to do things with our parents. I enjoy eating popcorn at the theater as well. He reminds me of when I was a Candy Girl.

Heather - you sound like an exercise machine! Good for you. I know that I do it so that I will be able to move and play with my grandkids.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip - hilarious!