Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I am still about half way through Smart Women Stay Young. I worked myself into oblivion yesterday washing the boat, and didn’t even have the motivation to read. :noway: That may be a first for me. Today everything hurts. I’m looking forward to yoga and hope that I can stretch some of the aches and pains away. Maybe I’ll have the chance to read a bit more of the book later today. The gym membership has been a blessing for me and is paid for by my health insurance provider. Our home is relatively small and overly full. There isn’t enough room here to exercise. The gym also provides a bit of socializing that I enjoy. In the mornings there are a lot of 50+ people there, both men and women.

Peacemom: Welcome. You’ve found a place that has lots of collective wisdom and a supportive attitude.

On the topic of an overly full house with too much stuff, I want to get rid of surplus things and am thinking about using Craigslist to advertise them. Does anyone have experience with Craigslist? Advice appreciated!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    morning peeps. you guys have me rolling on the floor laughing my a** off llollolol!!!

the saddles (bike seats) are way comfortable. I do wear bike shorts (they have padding) a lot of the time when I ride but sometimes I don't. I've been doing it long enough that I don't need to and I wouldn't hurt if you know what I mean..

nccarolb - Pip - My son rides his bike a lot and I enjoy riding as well, but I have a REALLY hard time with my lady bits being really angry at me after a ride. Does the really thin hard seat help with that?

that was sooo cute, I never heard of it referred to as that, "lady bits" i'm going to use that!lololOOLOOLOL it's best to go to a bike store and they can measure you to see the bike size you should be sitting on. before I started riding, I agree, they kinda did look like something that could do serious harm to you.lolol

this morning was my first ride in.. even didn't wear any long pants, just the bike shorts., nice clear day
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Katla, I have tried Craig's list but not had much luck. In our town there is a facebook page called BuySellTrade, or something like that. One of my friends sells a lot of stuff on that because she's getting ready to move.

I took the kiddies to school this morning, then went to WalMart to buy a shower curtain and shower rod for the kids bathroom. I do not think (and I'm not exaggerating) that those girls have washed their hair ONCE since they moved to the new apartment, and the reason seems to be that they have no shower curtain. I don't know why somebody didn't tell me this sooner. I got them a cute one with bright colorful fishes swimming across it.

I'm seriously re-evaluating my end goal for this weight loss thing. I'm at 170 now, and my hubby and my old doctor both told me they think that is low enough. But that is still technically "overweight", and I wanted to be at 145 which would put me in the normal category. But Saturday at the concert on campus I saw one of the music professors and she has lost a LOT of weight and looks like a skeleton. She was scary thin! I don't want to be like that. This poor woman has bounced back and forth, from heavy to thin and back again several times, but I've never seen her quite this thin. I wonder if she's been sick. I'll ask the cardiologist for his opinion tomorrow.

Now it's time for Penneys to open, so I'm off to try to find something to wear to the banquet tonight. Even just a nice pair of pants, and I could wear a colorful long sleeved t-shirt and jewelry to dress it up. I hate shopping, but not quite as much as I used to. Somebody else mentioned that there are more large sized clothes now, and I agree. In our Walmart the large size clothing section is now bigger than the regular section. We have a LOT of overweight women in our town. I used to groan about there not being any clothes in my size when I was at my biggest, and now suddenly there are, but I'm not so big anymore. Go figure.

Well, I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Look what arrived today! I am in a state of collapse having authorised it to go into print. The print version will take a few days to appear on Amazon. They say 3 - 5 days.
    Then I had to go through the Kindle publishing process. The Kindle version should be live in 24 hours.
    If you buy both versions the combined package makes it cheaper on Kindle.
    Phew - all the tax, bank, pricing etc etc etc stuff I had to do, but it's done! ! ! ! ! I am exhausted.

My lovely ladies, I would love you to buy my book, but PLEASE remember it has adult content. I wrote it in the 1980s when my writing heroes were John Updike, Philip Roth and Saul Bellow. So it comes with a warning .......... but, if you enjoy literary fiction of an edgy kind, then please buy it and be kind enough to write a nice review on Amazon. :D

y9mub59cyejz.jpg

My love to you all, who have supported me through this process. :love:

Heather x x x x x x x x x x x x x
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yay, Heather!!!! It looks awesome and I look forward to reading it!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats Heather! :drinker:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OK, Heather, be honest now. That Adult Content warning was just a clever way of getting us all to push the BUY button! B)

Will the kindle version work on ipad, I wonder?
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I look forward to reading your book Heather.

I am like several ladies on here and have been reading all your wonderful posts but just cannot keep track enough to reply to all.

Sending hugs to those who need them and commiserations for all the problems, and big congratulations to those who are having successes.

I have had a week with no swimming so must get back into it tomorrow.

My partner has agreed to buy me a spiralizer. I have read in lots of your posts that you find it very helpful in cutting the calories but have never used one myself. Can you lovely ladies help me with deciding which one I want? I was looking at the one by Zoodle Chef on Amazon, don't know if any of you have used this?

Gilly
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ok heather.... about that adult content???? HOW adult r we talkin here... for me, the more ADULT the better hehehe
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Major computer/internet problems going on here so I hope I can get this post done before another glitch occurs.

Had my weigh in today. Last week down 3.6 This week up 2.4. BAAADDD! but back at it!

Peach - My Fitbit Flex motivates me to move and I can use it in the pool!

MN Margaret - The picture sounds lovely. Can't wait to see it.

Lesley and Gail - I love iris. They remind me of my mom.

Janet - love some of your recent quotes

Naomi - I hope you feel better soon. Please let us know what the doc says.

Cynthia - I am so sorry to hear about the fire but so glad the horses are safe. I know you are struggling with the weight regain (been there done that many times). We are here for you. You know how to do this and it will happen again.

Vicki - the reunion with your brother sounds a bit bitter sweet since he "stood you up". I hope you get to meet.

Heather - so sorry about your friend's cancer. You can be a big help to her.

Barbie - loved to see Pip vroooming through Tacoma! How cute!

Katla - I only have 1 child so nobody will fight over custody of me. I often tease my DS and DDIL that they need to save space on their 1 acre lot to build a "tiny house" for me. He jokes back that there is a great retirement/assisted living place down the road from them (which there is). I say that would be fine but they would have to pay for it. HA! Actually - I would probably prefer that!

DeeDee - retirement is awesome! Did it at the end of the 2014 school year.

Carol - enjoyed your kitty and the rain story. So like a cat! Speaking of cats - I have taught my kitty to give me Eskimo kisses. A big deal since she used to never let my face get close to hers.

Sylvia - about your goal weight - I would listen to your doctors and your body and ignore the charts. They say I should weigh around 145. My doc says she would be thrilled with 175-180. Right now my goal weight is 172 which would be exactly 100 lbs. I still have a ways to go but I will get there!

Janet - how is the no nicotine going?

Heather - Love the look of the book and would love to read it - raciness and all.

Pip - you always spice things up! Thanks for being you!

Have a marvelous Monday everyone. Hugs and kisses.

Toni in rainy but even greener Tennessee
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Katla, I have sold sets of dishes on Craigs List. I always make sure DH is with me when I meet a prospective customer. Made a good profit as these came from an estate sale and the GW. I also bought my grand kids baby crib and mattress from someone on Craigs List. And, we always advertise there to get our prospective renters. Take good pictures of what you are selling.

Heather, I am looking forward to getting your book off of Amazon. The cover looks fantastic. Can you tell us a bit about the characters and plot?

Carol, your kitty story was cute. I can just see the cat running back inside. LOL

Sylvia, you are a God send to your grand daughters. I am constantly trying to figure out what mine need but sometimes you just don't know. I recently bought the grand son some Nike t shirts off of eBay but now that they are here I'm afraid they may be too small.

As for weight, mine is going nowhere but it's my own fault.

Carol ~ GA

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Heather - Your paperback version of the book is available on Amazon now! Didn't see a Kindle option yet. :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm free from the busy schedule! It is a relief to be able to get back to a normal life. I did make my work outs a priority or I know I would have put a lot of weight back on. I ate a lot of cake, cookies and donuts the last two weeks! I am glad that is over with. I did try to stay within my calorie goal. I just thought it was important to be able to celebrate a very special occasion.

Katla - that book sounds interesting! I think I will download it to my Kindle.

Joyce - I remember Twiggy and the show Laugh In. What were the guys names? It sounds like you are working hard and back on track yay!

Lesley - you are such an inspiration with your work out and eating routine.

Cynthia - I'm sorry to hear about you getting back your weight. I am glad that you are back on track. We are here for you!

Heather - I am sorry to hear about your friend. with your encouragement I am sure she will get that accomplished. she has a lot to look forward to with her son getting married. I agree with Joyce, you should write a cookbook describing the different items. I just love hearing what you are planning for your next meal.

Allison - I hope you're dB does not have Lyme disease. Although, my daughter, my nephew, and several other people have been treated for it with great success especially if caught early. I have a deer tick disease called anaplasmosis which was untreated for a few months and is still causing me severe joint pain. I also had the red bullseye. At any rate, it sounds like he has caught it very early.

Pat - your soup sounds delicious! it is nice when you get a lot of meals out of one.

Carol - your cat sounds hilarious! I could just see it skidding to a stop.

Pip - isn't it nice to be able to go outside in just your shorts! I did not know that bike shorts were padded!

Sylvia - I don't think the number on the scale matters as much as how you feel about your weight and how you look. Eating healthy and exercising are more important!

Katla - I have bought things on Craigslist several times. my daughter uses it all the time to sell and buy. it is very easy to do. You can choose how they contact you either by email or calling you on the phone. It is suggested that you meet in a public place if possible. I have my husband with when I go to somebody's house. Never go alone. Just go to the site and it will help you through the process. I don't think they have paypal like eBay does. So, always deal in cash. And cashiers checks are a scam sometimes.

Heather - I heard adult content and I'm in! Now we have a book club!

TNToni - I like your attitude! You will get there.

It is so nice to be back and able to read your posts and be a part of everyones life. Have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Kayakkutie - thanks so much for telling me that! I didn't know! ;)
    The "blurb" on the Amazon page gives you some idea of the tone of the book. Grief and healing. I think a lot of us know something about that. <3<3<3

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fancy - yeah, bike shorts are padded, hence bike shorts, otherwise wouldn't they just be shorts? lololol.... check out a bikers *kitten*-zoula the next time you get a chance :0)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fancy - yeah, bike shorts are padded, hence bike shorts, otherwise wouldn't they just be shorts? lololol.... check out a bikers *kitten*-zoula the next time you get a chance :0)

I thought that bike shorts were just another name for spandex! Lol

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Day Ladies,

Carey, I love your quote and “ain’t” it the truth.

Katla, I feel quite sure that you will be your own custodian. I hope when they brought it up, they were joking, just like I was. I agree that a long term activity needs to be something we enjoy. If I didn’t, I’m sure I wouldn’t stay at it for too long.

Joyce, I just had a bran muffin for breakfast and would gladly have a cream cheese brownie. Yum But I do agree it’s not usually on a breakfast menu. ( I’d rather have a cream cheese cinnamon coffee cake. *Oops I got off track on a mini-food fantasy*. Sorry) On the skinny jean topic, the new pants I got just have a much slimmer leg than I have worn in many, many years, but aren’t skin tight. I realize that I probably looked like an elephant because I wore most of my clothes on the loose side. What was I thinking? That the extra fabric was going to conceal all my fat? NOT I rarely disagree with you, but I think I agree with Christiana on the gift thing. Once I give a gift, I don’t expect to have any control over it; not to say that I might like to.

Cynthia, you aren’t the first person to gain back your weight and I’m sure won’t be the last. Just know that we are all cheering for you to get back on track. Most importantly is we want you to take care of yourself and feel good about yourself. When in doubt, just look over your shoulder and see us all there, cheering you on. You can do this.

Heather, I’m trying to remember, is a lorrie a taxi? I wouldn’t bike if it’s that dangerous, either. I know what you mean about giving something nice to someone who won’t care for it properly. I do the same as you for certain relatives.

Allison, I’m keeping fingers crossed for DH. Will he get the results today or does it take a while? Good for you on the kudos from Sean and Jean. :_)

Pat, thanks for the reminder that I need to roast chicken sometimes. I often boil it to have on salads or other dishes, but roasting will give so much more flavor. (ok, and calories. Lol) Glad you had a good day.

Barbie, I do like that most of us use a name on here. I sometimes find that I don’t respond to a post with no name and an awkward handle, just because it’s hard to type it out. Yes, I’ve told you before that I am lazy. Good for you on the weight training. It sounds like you are keeping up with it better this month.

Carol, one reason I never see kale in the store is that DH does most of the shopping. When I go in, it is to get something specific.

Katla, I have used Craig’s list on and off for a few years, with great success. I often volunteer to meet them in the parking lot of a mutually convenient business, so as not to have strangers come to my house.

Pip, I’m laughing at you, laughing at Carol, about her “lady bits”. Wonder what would have happened if she were a he and had boy bits? LOL

Sylvia, I have said the same thing about so little in Women’s sizes until I get out of them and now they have more than misses. What’s with that? I am supposed to be at about 145 to be “normal” but set my “goal- to- see” weight at 170, just for the reason you mentioned. I don’t want to look gaunt. Too much weight loss is not a good look. I’ll see how I look and feel when I reach 170, then decide if I need to lose more.

Heather, It’s PARTY TIME. I’ll break out the champagne and someone get the glasses. Woo Hoo You did it!!! Way to go! Don’t you feel great??? A new book has just been born.

Toni, it has been a struggle the past two days. I’ve ordered the nicotine patch and when it gets here, I’ll throw out my vapers. For now, I do use them every once in a while, but way less than I did. I feel for you as I’m having computer problems too. I just haven’t taken the time to do anything about it.

Mary, welcome back. Did you forget that you aren’t allowed to say “donuts” to us? Lol Glad you were able to stay in your calorie limit.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a dermatologist appointment this afternoon and just got a few sun spots frozen off. Tonight I have a Moose meeting and my friend and I will eat there before the meeting. It gives us a chance to visit and catch up twice a month. It started out cloudy this morning, then cleared up into a beautiful day. DH just went out to mow the front yard and the clouds moved in. I think the bottom may fall out any minute. (When he was growing up, his cousins and brother used to call him “Poor Devil”. Can you guess why? LOL)

I love all you wonderful ladies and wish only the best things for you. <3

Thought for the day.

She knew this transition
    was not about
    becoming someone better,
    but about
    finally allowing herself
    to become
    who she’d always been

Amy Rubingflett

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I saw this too and was wondering about it. I will take all the help I can get! Made my mini-goal of logging everything on my vacation -- net gain of one pound. Hope to start losing again soon, but in the meantime my calf muscles must be getting stronger. Happy Springtime to everybody!!! Finally winter is going away.

I thought this was interesting. Don't know whether to believe it or not.

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/04/85705/probiotics-effects-mental-health

I thought some of you fighting depression might want to read it. One of my new docs had recommended taking a probiotic, so I was reading about them.

Just found another one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/anxiety-head-gut/story?id=20229136
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »

I thought that bike shorts were just another name for spandex! Lol

Mary from Minnesota

no, they are definitely intended for bikers, the front is slightly lower and the back is slightly higher cuz you're hunched over alot