Since thick is in, should I stay at 145 on my 5'2 frame

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    Not everything revolves around a man, not everything a girl does is for a man. Maybe she just likes that style, if shes confident, feels sexy, is happy how can you hate on that? Maybe that's how she feels she looks best, not everyone is into that conservative look, you think girls who dresses conservative can't be 'trashy'? Can't really judge a book by its cover because you'll be surprised.

I admire girls like that, who walk around showing their assets( purposely ) not giving a *kitten* what others think. Girls in general who have that attitude, fat, skinny, curvy, who are really confident in their body I admire.

I was catching up on this thread and I just *kitten* LOST IT RIGHT HERE. If this is a trait you admire then screw what is 'IN' and do what YOU want for YOUR body. Stop actively seeking validation from the vast strangers of MFP and do what YOU think is best for your body. Only you actually know what that is. Become like the very women you admire.

Why are people so preoccupied with looks anyway? I am more proud of the health I have gained and what my body can DO rather than what it looks like. Looks are a factor in attraction but I do not need a mate to feel validated or loved. I get that from the squat rack. :)
  • NotJunkMail
    NotJunkMail Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think 125 looks curvy on a 5'2 gal....so my opinion is you've got 20 more to go!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eerg, I'm going to sound like a broken record. People can misuse frame size, sure. But, it's a very real thing. People do have different sized frames. I am 5'2", my rib cage under bust is 25 inches, my waist 23 inches. I have small shoulders. I have a smaller frame then another person my height. And that is why we shouldn't all be at the same place on the BMI chart (among other reasons of course, such as muscle mass, etc). But, that is why I am at a low weight, with lowish body fat, and I don't look underweight and I look healthy and fit. And I eat 1900 plus calories a day. 1900 is the amount I eat at a lower activity level, it goes up higher when I am very active. But, another person my height would look emaciated at my weight.

It is a real thing - but the BMI has a range, and a pretty big one at that, and in the main, it takes frame into context. You would be at the low end and I would be at the high end, even if we had the same BF% and a similar proportionate muscle mass. I have high muscle mass so am above it even at healthy BF% - but the fact that I am above it is not due to frame, even though mine is large.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy and satisfied with how you look, then go for it.

I couldn't agree more. It's about how you feel. Where do you feel comfortable? It's not all about the number!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Eerg, I'm going to sound like a broken record. People can misuse frame size, sure. But, it's a very real thing. People do have different sized frames. I am 5'2", my rib cage under bust is 25 inches, my waist 23 inches. I have small shoulders. I have a smaller frame then another person my height. And that is why we shouldn't all be at the same place on the BMI chart (among other reasons of course, such as muscle mass, etc). But, that is why I am at a low weight, with lowish body fat, and I don't look underweight and I look healthy and fit. And I eat 1900 plus calories a day. 1900 is the amount I eat at a lower activity level, it goes up higher when I am very active. But, another person my height would look emaciated at my weight.

It is a real thing - but the BMI has a range, and a pretty big one at that, and in the main, it takes frame into context. You would be at the low end and I would be at the high end, even if we had the same BF% and a similar proportionate muscle mass. I have high muscle mass so am above it even at healthy BF% - but the fact that I am above it is not due to frame, even though mine is large.

Yeah, I agree and understand. That's true. Frame size is just one factor. Muscle mass is also an important factor as well.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think 125 looks curvy on a 5'2 gal....so my opinion is you've got 20 more to go!

Who invited you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What a silly blanket statement made without any context whatsoever. Losing 20lbs would put someone currently 125lb at the low end of the healthy range - just above underweight. Nice suggestion, especially without knowing the person's frame or muscle mass. The 105lb could be fine - but I bet 125lb would also look good on that same person (and is right in the middle of the range). In fact, 105lb could be underweight for some.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Yes "thick" is a word to describe a women's figure. She is not skinny, nor fat and has meat in all the right places (thighs, hips, breast and booty).....basically a slang term you can find in the urban dictionary.

Huh. I'd call that "voluptuous" or "curvy" or any one of a number of other complementary words. "Thick" doesn't sound....nice. Or, even really accurate, because it usually implies "thick in the middle" to me, and most of the women mentioned in this thread have slimmer waists. But, now I know new slang. Look at me, being all rad!

Rad? The 80's called, they want their slang back.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Who cares what's in? Do what you like! If you're healthy and happy at 145, why not stay there? B)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hate to be pedantic, but re: that silly woman's comment that women with "over-sexualized bodies" tend to have low IQs... that's actually, like, the opposite of the truth. Hourglass and pear shape in women has been shown to be correlated with many positive health outcomes, including lifespan, fertility, and HIGHER AVERAGE IQ. Physical attractiveness is a product of an appearance of health/fertility/developmental fitness, and developmental fitness influences the development of the brain, which is, after all, just another body part.

Also I find her comments to be extremely sex-negative, victim-blamey, and cretinous.

I don't have a big butt, so I have no dog in this fight, but I'm dropping this link here anyway:

University Herald: Women with big butts are smarter and resistant to chronic illnesses

So the IQ came with my hoohas? SWEET. j/k

Too funny about resistant to chronic illness. I have 4 of them.
    That's way too many butts.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    So what if her shirt's half undone, her boobs whatever, her butt whatever? Maybe she's comfortable, maybe she likes feeling however she feels. Maybe, she's a mom who's a bit too warm, like the person who posted minutes before you. Maybe she's the opposite of insecure. Maybe she's dressing that way entirely for herself because she enjoys living in her body.

Nope. Don't buy it..

I've known women like that who are very comfortable with their bodies not insecure in the way you are trying to claim.

I find it funny that most of the time these women are deemed trashy, attention seeking or are supposedly super insecure by those who are very insecure themselves.

Not saying that all women who dress a certain way are above the tearing down of other women, but it's pretty lame to make such judgmental generalizations.

It is lame. It's really gross to see women who are so misogynistic. If I see a girl wearing a bikini top and short shorts at the supermarket, I assume she is either on her way from or to the beach, not that she is desperate for attention.

what do you think your husband would be thinking...

My fiance is attracted to women, so if he saw an attractive woman he would probably think she's attractive. I can't read his thoughts - don't really care to - and he isn't going to dump me because he saw some chick in a bathing suit.

You are really insecure and assume that everyone is as insecure as you.

Ding ding ding!

Hey, I get it though. I have moments of insecurity, too. If I'm with a guy and he's checking out another girl, sometimes I might get that inner cringe. It happens - no one is perfect.

But, it's my responsibility to recognize where that is coming from and not project it onto an innocent woman and her wardrobe - or flip out at my man for being a human being.

I think this is a great response, really nicely articulates an attitude worth striving for, if people are unsettled by the confidence or physicality of other women. It does presuppose an acceptance of the ideas amusedmonkey and others expressed, about being okay with sexuality, and taking for granted every person's freedom and right to enjoy it.

i think it can be hard - many have grown up in sex-negative cultures, and/or with certain beliefs about men & women & relationships. it's worth examining those attitudes.

not entirely related to misogyny, but i did have to get rid of some stuff left over from catholic school and coming of age in the 90s, when fearmongering around sex was everywhere (because of the aids crisis). slight diversion, but just saying, this was on the radio when i was a kid -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpgYBYD-8gM

I remember that song! :) And yes, completely this. I grew up in a very conservative family in a very conservative section of the Bible belt. It can be difficult to reevaluate the way you were raised. Worth it though.

You know, we often don't agree in other threads but I'm happy to find us on the same side of this discussion. It's kinda nice.

Don't we? Ah well, glad we did here :)

I'm surprised this thread is still kicking! I've been off, sorry :/
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

What a silly blanket statement made without any context whatsoever. Losing 20lbs would put someone currently 125lb at the low end of the healthy range - just above underweight. Nice suggestion, especially without knowing the person's frame or muscle mass. The 105lb could be fine - but I bet 125lb would also look good on that same person (and is right in the middle of the range). In fact, 105lb could be underweight for some.

I believe he meant since she's at 145, she should lose 20lbs since 125 is his opinion of curvy. Or am I going crazy. Either way, I don't agree with his opinion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »

I believe he meant since she's at 145, she should lose 20lbs since 125 is his opinion of curvy. Or am I going crazy. Either way, I don't agree with his opinion.

Oh, my derp. I probably mis-read that (I was wondering where he got the numbers from). But yep - still blanket statement.
  • nena817nena
    Options
    Since I've lost weight, I also lost weight in my boobs I went from a C cup to a B cup, a big B cup though. I still want curves, and an *kitten*. i feel like if I lose anymore weight I lose my boobs, I'm not into that skinny skinny look. What do you think about 145 pounds on a 5'2 frame? Maybe ten more pounds? I'm scared to lose my butt and boobs.

Plus I'm having a hard time losing anymore weight

• adashappyscrappin
    adashappyscrappin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    juliah1234 wrote: »
    If you are healthy and satisfied with how you look, then go for it.

I couldn't agree more. It's about how you feel. Where do you feel comfortable? It's not all about the number!

I agree! How do you feel in your own skin? Are you healthy? If both are positive answers, then you are good!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Wut? GTFO.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options

No
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I rather have some fat then be skinny with small breast, it's not womanly since we're being honest. I don't mind a little stomach, I'll probably go down to 130 and stop there and just workout to maintain and be healthy, I can look hot still without looking like I try so hard at the gym.

At least my 38A's won't be down to my knees in 20 years. I'll take that over being "womanly" anyday.