Can someone cut through the bull and tell me the truth!

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 to what Jo said.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple (because mainly everything else is debatable). Put less food in your mouth and do a little exercise to meet your daily net calories. Use this site to track your calories.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    loxottica wrote: »
    I'm so tired of searching, googling, reading about "do this and do that" "and eat this and eat that"....

I just want to know the truth, the facts not the "it may" do this or that..

what am I referring to? work outs.. some say:

1. do cardio only for weight loss
    2. do weights only for weight loss
    3. do hiit only..
    4. do slooooow long runs
    5. work out only in the morning on empty stomach
    6. work out when ever...
    7. eat ... dont eat b4 working out...

do you see what I'm saying?? the list keeps going on! this is all so confusing...

I'm 39, 5'1 and I have 40lbs to hit my goal (125lbs). I'm a single mom of 2 little ones so I'm a bit sleep deprived most of the times. So I have signed up for gym where I work so I can go on my lunch hours.

My goal for now is to lose weight so I can fit into my work clothes as I just cant afford to buy new ones. Once I can get into them I can focus on the body definition that I want. But I just need to fit into my work clothes!

So I'm asking for help and I guess I'm venting a little...
    ..can you help?

It's real easy. Here's the only primer one needs: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Read it. Print it out. Hang it on the Fridge. Bookmark it. Refer to it often.

The rest doesn't matter - weights, cardio, HIIT, LS runs, morning empty stomach workouts, workout whenever, don't eat b4 working out. That's all balderdash. The link above is the TRUTH!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So two big things. well 3.

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!

JoRocka is my hero! Notice how these workouts are programs? Couch to 5k, Strong Lifts, HITs, etc. are challenges. Work to achieve your goals of being stronger and faster with better form. That keeps things interesting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitness noob and I'm still learning. What held me back was thinking I had to stick to some prescribed program or something, and the treadmills looked deadly boring. They are deadly boring.

What finally stuck were things I enjoyed, duh. I wandered around, popped in to different classes, and figured out what got me jazzed. I do those things. And a few others (stretches) that help me keep doing those things I like.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. I have been on MFP for a month and was as confused as you about HIITs and DOMS and whatnot. However, I have learned this: you can exercise a lot and not lose weight. The more you exercise, the more you want to eat. So the key is to track your calories carefully. That's it.

Now my guilty little secret is that I exercise more often and longer now on my diet because I really like baked goods. And the only way to eat lots of baked goods like cinnamon rolls (mmmm...) while counting calories is to do a lot of cardio. You don't need to do lots of cardio to lose weight... unless you want to lose weight and keep eating cinnamon rolls.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do cardio for fitness. For some people, it also works as a natural appetite suppressor. Build an aerobic base first ("long" runs) before adding HIIT to your routine. Easier to burn more calories with "long" runs than with HIIT. Don't use an HRM to log HIIT calories.

Do strength training for lean body mass preservation.

Some people like to exercise in a fasted state, first thing in the morning. That's a personal preference thing - for 99.99% of people, it will make no difference in long term outcome, so do what works for *you*.

None of the above will result in weight loss unless you eat at a caloric deficit.
  • loxottica
    loxottica Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am happily surprised with all the info that I've gotten here in just a few hours! ~ Thank you!
    I've adjusted my calories and I went to the gym today did legs as all cardio machines were taken. But I'm going to try to do weights one day and cardio the next and just alternate. I dont think I an do HIIT yet..
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I totally mix it up.
    I walk briskly to work on a empty stomach, but wouldn't dream of going to the gym hungry.
    I do weights, cardio and play squash.
    I eat fairly healthy but sometimes eat only 1000cal or blow 3000cal.

My approach is as long as I'm active its all good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jo's advice. The most important thing is to do what you enjoy and will continue doing. For me, it is walking (cardio) and swimming laps (cardio and strength).
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on what results you are looking for
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This forum has been super helpful guys! There's just so much information out there that it's difficult to narrow down whats really important!

My question that I still have is concerning strength training routines: Currently I mix up my workouts a lot. For example, this week I've done 50 minutes on the elliptical, a 15 minute HIIT cardio youtube video (had class all day and then my waitressing job at night), a barre class, a hike, an insanity class, and a weights class. Am I getting a decent mix of cardio and strength? I'm already a fairly small person with not a ton to lose so my calorie limits are pretty low, so I like to workout enough to eat some calories back most days. I am just trying to drop 5-10 pounds and get some definition. Right now, my focus is on reducing body fat.

I've heard a lot about heavy lifting, but don't have much experience cause it intimidates me. I usually go to classes for strength training where I use 5-8 lb weights, resistance bands, etc. My understanding is that these classes won't necessarily build muscle, just endurance. Is that correct? Will it at least help me to maintain some lean body mass while I work to lose fat?
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!

This!

3 more tips: weigh food in grams on a digital food scale, check the calorie listing matches the package of whatever you are eating, and don't forget to log drinks.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    loxottica wrote: »
    I'm so tired of searching, googling, reading about "do this and do that" "and eat this and eat that"....

I just want to know the truth, the facts not the "it may" do this or that..

what am I referring to? work outs.. some say:

1. do cardio only for weight loss
    2. do weights only for weight loss
    3. do hiit only..
    4. do slooooow long runs
    5. work out only in the morning on empty stomach
    6. work out when ever...
    7. eat ... dont eat b4 working out...

do you see what I'm saying?? the list keeps going on! this is all so confusing...

I'm 39, 5'1 and I have 40lbs to hit my goal (125lbs). I'm a single mom of 2 little ones so I'm a bit sleep deprived most of the times. So I have signed up for gym where I work so I can go on my lunch hours.

My goal for now is to lose weight so I can fit into my work clothes as I just cant afford to buy new ones. Once I can get into them I can focus on the body definition that I want. But I just need to fit into my work clothes!

So I'm asking for help and I guess I'm venting a little...
    ..can you help?

For ME:
    Cardio and weights is the way to go. This time around, I did resistance training pretty much from the beginning. The last time I was a size 12, I weighed about 150 lbs...I'm currently a loose size 12 at 190lbs.

I'm scared to try fasted cardio. Several years ago I ate a small breakfast (200-250 calories ) then did about an hour of treadmill. As I turned to get off the treadmill, I got so incredibly dizzy that it scared me.

I leave for the gym as soon as the last kid gets on the bus. I don't want errands, etc to give me an excuse to skip my workout.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I leave for the gym as soon as the last kid gets on the bus. I don't want errands, etc to give me an excuse to skip my workout.

This made me smile this morning. I imagine you in your track suit, ready to sprint off to your "me" time.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Workout consistently (whatever you want) and eat less than what you burn in a day (including your workout) and you will lose weight. Just set yourself up in mfp, log your workouts, and log your diet. Stay under your total allotment for the day.
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ya know what lots of good advice here so I will just say that it all depends on what you want? Is the only thing your looking for to reach your goal of 40lbs lost? If so continue on with your caloric def and find and activity you enjoy. because it really doesn't matter other than it should be something you like because your going to be doing it a lot! I mix it up. Some days I will go to the gym and do HIIT other days I go for a hike on our local hill. The one thing I do consistantly is 3 days of weight training a week.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The truth... without the BS:

1) If you want to lose fat, you'll need to eat in a caloric deficit.
    2) It is best to lose weight slowly, around 1- 1.5 lbs a week is a good, steady rate of fat loss and is sustainable for the long term.
    3) You will get the best benefits from your training if you do some form of resistance training and cardio.
    4) You can do low intensity steady state (LISS) or high intensity interval training (HIIT)to lose fat. In my opinion, it is best to alternate the two.
    5) For your strength training, it is best to hop on a proven plan. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women are all good plans. Pick one and stick with it.
    6) Doing cardio in the morning before eating is a good way to burn fat but you don't have to do it that way to get good results. Just get your training in when you have the opportunity to. It is most important that you get to train at all.
    7) You can eat before you train if you have to, just don't eat anything heavy because it could negatively impact your training session if you get nauseous (You probably won't be eating heavy things anyway since you are trying to lose weight).
    8) People will nitpick and give you a hard time about tiny little details in your plan. Just keep in mind that those tiny little details are not nearly as important as the big picture. Also, remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some people will say you need to be on a keto diet, somebody will tell you that you have to do yoga, somebody will tell you that you have to do P90X, etc.... All of those things are tools in your toolbox but you don't have to use all of those tools all the time. Find your groove and stay there until you hit your goals. Good luck.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I sputtered and stalled a bit a few months back regarding my exercising at the gym.

I was getting so conflicted. Reading different forums/articles you got all kinds of opinions...ellipticals are great, ellipticals are worthless, weight machines at the gym are good, weight machines at the gym are worthless. Cardio is great, cardio is not where it's at.

I did throw my hands up and cry uncle. It's almost as bad as all the different fad diets out there telling you to eat this, don't eat that...blah blah blah.

Finally I got my head together and realized:

I LIKE the elliptical. I ENJOY it. I DO burn calories doing it. I break out in a sweat while using it. I have improved while using it - I could never really "run" in real life before for longer than 10 seconds. After working out on the elliptical AND taking my dog for frequent walks and gradually adding in a few sprints here or there, I was able to run (slow but still faster than a walk) .25 mile without stopping.

I LIKE spin class. I LIKE riding my bike. I enjoy doing them. I am burning more calories doing that, even if I'm not doing it like some fitness guru says I have to - than I would burn sitting on my @$$ on the couch.

I LIKE walking my dog. I ENJOY doing it. I am burning calories doing it.

I have lost 24 lbs since January. I am exercising multiple times a week. I never did that before. I am not training for the freaking Olympics.

And I am using the weight machines at the gym. I have seen an improvement in that I can lift at heavier settings than I could before. I can throw my bowling ball with more force than I could before. My waist is smaller and my hips are smaller than they were before. So while some "gurus" call them "worthless" - I call the machines my friends. :wink:

I realized I was letting all this 'information overload' cripple me and prevent me from doing anything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This ^^