Bread??

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm picky about bread, so I try to eat only the bread I really like and otherwise not waste calories on it. It all depends on personal preference, though--nothing about bread makes it bad for weight loss unless it makes it harder for you to stick to your calories.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I think bread slows down the speed of weight loss, but once you absorb that blip in weight loss time, you will get back to a normal time of losing weight. Conversely, if you drop the bread you might see a larger amount of weight come off. Especially white bread.
    Wait why? Explain....I'm confused
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I tend to over indulge. Having two warm oven fresh dinner rolls with butter is about 1/3 of my daily calories....and I'd still be hungry. It isn't a very good choice for weight loss for me.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think bread slows down the speed of weight loss, but once you absorb that blip in weight loss time, you will get back to a normal time of losing weight. Conversely, if you drop the bread you might see a larger amount of weight come off. Especially white bread.

IN. For bread causing a rift in the space time/weight loss continuum.

OP, eat the bread if you like it. Like everyone else said, just make sure you stay within your calorie deficit and you'll be fine.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Not saying bread is bad for you. Neither is cake and ice cream and candy bars as long as it is within your daily caloric intake goal. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not saying bread is bad for you. Neither is cake and ice cream and candy bars as long as it is within your daily caloric intake goal. :)

But you did say it would slow down weight loss. I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion, which is why I asked about it.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Just try it jelly. Then report back your results. I am not saying it is 100%, note the "I think" and "you might" words I used. We are all different people with different body makeups and metabolisms so we all react differently to specific foods.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Unless you are gluten intolerant or have a wheat allergy there is no reason to avoid bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Whats people's views on bread and weightloss.. Some people say stay clear etc.. Any thoughts?

I lost 44 pounds and have maintained for over a year, and I refuse to give up bread, especially my homemade bread.

Weight loss is calories in/out, type of food in your dietary program is preference only.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Whats people's views on bread and weightloss.. Some people say stay clear etc.. Any thoughts?

If you want to eat bread fit it in your calories for the day like any other food. Also you can eat rice, potatoes, pasta, sugar, beef, eggs, pizza and other foods some people will say not to eat and still steadily lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Money is always good to have regardless of weightloss or not
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I ate a sandwich for lunch almost every day of my weight loss. Sometimes I choose things other than regular bread (wraps, pita pockets, tortillas, sandwich thins, etc) but it didn't stop, halt, or slow my weight loss.

If you want to keep eating bread, then just make sure it fits your calorie and nutrition goals. If you want to substitute or eliminate it, that's fine too. As with many food choices, it's really personal preference.

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, rice, potatoes -- not as much as I used to, but it's definitely part of my diet. I have switched to brown rice and whole grain breads for the most part.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Bread like any other food is not inherently bad. I have reduced the amount of bread I eat because I am diabetic and have to watch the carbs I eat. As long as you work it into your daily calorie allowance it is perfectly fine.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I love bread, especially with olive oil, salt and pepper. I can't wait to add it back in to my daily calorie total once I hit my goal. That 500 calorie daily deficit will find some fun foods to add back to my daily meals and snacks.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options

Bread is great! I have a piece of toast about every other day now.

I haven't been much of a bread eater for the last decade or two ... it just wasn't something that appealed to me ... but for my first 6-7 weeks here, I craved whole loaves of bread. Really odd because before I got here, I would go entire weeks without it. So since I started here, I have been eating bread, but I limited myself to a piece or two each day just to keep the calorie count down.

Fortunately, just in the last couple weeks, that craving has eased up a little bit. I must be getting my carbs from other sources.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A nice, thick chunk of crusty bread dipped in some really good olive oil Yum.

There's a special place in hell reserved for light bread and fat free cheese.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Right alongside carob chocolate.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Right alongside carob chocolate.

~spits and does evil eye symbol~

~adds "fat free half and half" and the entirety of Walden Farms' line to the cauldron of the damned~
This discussion has been closed.