A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants.

Options

Replies

• KatieLouiseRyder
    Options
    Am 19, 5.1 ft, 8.1 stone and i got weighed and measured in boots today and it come back i have a body fat of 35.5% and my body fat mass is 18.1kg.

Could some one give me advice as i wouldnt class myself as fat also I know i have a little bit of fat round my stomach but nothing to bad?
  • shepslisa
    shepslisa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Much appreciated
  • savouryduck
    savouryduck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone used this http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ IIFYM calculator for working out their intake needs?

It suggested an increase of around 300 calories a day over what MFP settings suggest!!!
  • Aye29
    Aye29 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello ! Im new here I didn't understand the app please help me :(
  • sejaltripathi744
    sejaltripathi744 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A little confused but getting there. Trying to plug in my iifym goals in her but it's seems like I can't get my macronutrients right.. Need friends on here who have nailed it.
  • aceangeldeb
    aceangeldeb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such great information!! I've been eyeballing my portions, but I'm going to start weighing everything now. This logging thing is much easier than I thought it would be, YAY <3
  • highwind_valor
    Options
    Thanks for this! :D
  • HealthyDreamy
    HealthyDreamy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • whitneyrabbott
    whitneyrabbott Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Haven't taken before picture yet. Well written, enjoyable and helpful.
  • galengentry
    galengentry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me? I need directions on how to get to the post. Not the comments. I'd like to read it.
  • liltysonn
    Options
    How much does water weight account for if your taking creatine. Im just starting out and would like to get an accurate weight of myself before i start and end up cutting to many calories and eventually losing muscle as a result
  • acord123
    acord123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your sound advice. I have a workout program. I just need to motivate myself to go to the gym and do it. I guess I need to just get up and go, no excuses.
  • vegaschick82
    vegaschick82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice :)
  • justishall242
    justishall242 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing B)
  • justine_howe
    Options
    Very well written ! Those were some good tips I'll try applying into my routine
  • jaclyntranchannel
    jaclyntranchannel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @liltysonn creatine is naturally produced by the body, so if you take creatine supplements, excess amounts will be excreted. So, body water weight plays a minimal role. Also, you wouldn't lose muscle mass by decreasing your caloric intake unless you chronically starve yourself for extended periods of time (we're talking months). Your body will resort to breaking down fat before protein.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Anyone used this http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ IIFYM calculator for working out their intake needs?

It suggested an increase of around 300 calories a day over what MFP settings suggest!!!

MFP is starting out with NO exercise accounted for until you actually do it and log it.

The weekly TDEE calc's include your planned exercise if you used it right.

But add exercise to MFP as you should do, take a weeks total, and divide by 7, and it probably matches much closer to the other one.

Though - that site, many find, really under-estimates - despite their claims of dead-on accuracy, but not sharing how they calculate different than any other site.
  • heybales
    Options
    Am 19, 5.1 ft, 8.1 stone and i got weighed and measured in boots today and it come back i have a body fat of 35.5% and my body fat mass is 18.1kg.

Could some one give me advice as i wouldnt class myself as fat also I know i have a little bit of fat round my stomach but nothing to bad?

So if you think weight is in good healthy range, and even distribution of bodyfat is decent enough except for some spots, then you likely need to do a swap of fat for muscle, while eating at maintenance.

That's only going to happen with lifting weights. Gives the body some exercise to really transform the body with, and the repair uses extra food you aren't actually eating.
    So fat makes up the difference.
    So you lose inches, weight stays the same, you look better. Now as the fat drops, you got something underneath to show off.
  • heybales
    Options
    @liltysonn creatine is naturally produced by the body, so if you take creatine supplements, excess amounts will be excreted. So, body water weight plays a minimal role. Also, you wouldn't lose muscle mass by decreasing your caloric intake unless you chronically starve yourself for extended periods of time (we're talking months). Your body will resort to breaking down fat before protein.

Sadly, it doesn't take that extreme to start losing muscle mass.

Most diets cause you to lose it. Upwards of 20% of weight loss is LBM, with part of that being muscle mass. True, some of that you don't need with smaller body, but whole lot easier keeping what you got then trying to get it back later.

And it's not that you are breaking it down for an energy source right then, but rather the body breaks muscle down every day anyway, and when in a diet, not eating enough, macros are partitioned to whatever the body deems needs them the most.
    So muscle just ends up not getting rebuilt back if it isn't used as much other systems needing the amino acids.

Hence the reason it's found that resistance training and using the muscles, and eating enough protein more than when bulking, and eating a reasonable deficit - all help retain muscle mass.

Your body uses fat as predominate energy source already, if you go by % of calories supplied in average day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    liltysonn wrote: »
    How much does water weight account for if your taking creatine. Im just starting out and would like to get an accurate weight of myself before i start and end up cutting to many calories and eventually losing muscle as a result

It varies as to how well you respond, but between 3 and 5lb is not atypical. It usually takes 7 - 10 days to stabilize.