Bread??

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Not fat gain. A slow down in weight loss. I guess an effect on metabolism. But I am just guessing.

I see. However, I'm not understanding on how any food can slow down metabolism, since there is no food that speeds it up.

I lost 44 pounds eating my homemade bread, and continue to maintain eating my homemade bread. Of course, my homemade bread is the best. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't think listening to soft rock can slow down your weightloss.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You are probably right runner. I dont know why I had that experience with bread.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You are probably right runner. I dont know why I had that experience with bread.

Probably a coincidence.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,933 Member
    Options
    I think bread slows down the speed of weight loss, but once you absorb that blip in weight loss time, you will get back to a normal time of losing weight. Conversely, if you drop the bread you might see a larger amount of weight come off. Especially white bread.

My experience ... over the last 2 months, I've been eating more bread than usual because it is what I've been craving (not chocolate, not chips, just bread). And I've lost weight a lot faster than I anticipated. :)

• greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    In no way am I an expert, quite the opposite. That said, I have eliminated bread and white rice completely. I adhere to the eat less then you burn concept, but for me the lack of gluten and decrease in sugar (bread) and the related insulin impacting effects make sense to me. I am having success with this method.

The method you are using is cico and eliminating carbs has zero point zero percent to do with it

The fear that strikes in people when they think of insulin. But they don't know what foods really impact insulin and to what level. It's just insulin = devil. I am not talking about diabetics.

Ohhhhhh noooooooooooooo the insulins!!!!!

Laugh it up fur ball. :) Seriously though, for me cico is not the end all be all. It's the foundation and yeah, it has to be followed. But, our bodies are pretty awesome machines and like a machine, the better fuel and fluids we give it, the better it will run. I only have so many calories a day, so I want to spend them on nutritious food as much as possible. I think bread takes up a lot of empty calories. Each to their own though. I see many people saying they eat bread and have awesome success.

As to the "evil" insulin, my understanding is sugar and those foods that break down quickly into sugar like refined wheat, increase insulin levels in the blood stream leading ultimately to the increased storage of fat. Again, I'm just starting to learn this stuff, so please correct me if I am wrong. I'm more interested in learning truth than being right. I try to get my info from science based sources like khan academy.

And I didn't say carbs were bad.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Whats people's views on bread and weightloss.. Some people say stay clear etc.. Any thoughts?

It won't stop you from losing weight if you're in a caloric deficit. Ditching it won't help you lose weight if you're eating at a caloric surplus. Some people find it easier to maintain a caloric deficit without eating it, others don't.

Do what works best for you.

C a l o r i e deficit. <3

I used to think what I ate was SUPER important but its kinda not. If we are talking about losing weight. If you eat twinkies you can still lose weight just like if you ate salads all day. You'll prob feel gross but that's different.

Now in terms of HUNGER I find that if I eat a cup of rice (110-140cals) with my meal instead of two bread slices (160 cals) I will be much more satiated.

In my opinion people over eat because they make poor food choices that leave them hungry and thus they eat more going over their calories.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i rarely eat bread, mainly because i don't feel the need to eat it, but i do eat rice(both white and brown) and I'm losing weight.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Love bread but the calories soon add up. I do however have a sandwich every lunchtime using wholemeal. It's also sliced so I know exactly how many calories without weighing it. I couldn't live without it :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Is that clear enough jelly? It was my personal experience with bread and I have heard the same from others. I have no scientific data to back it up.

Then I will continue to challenge that statement - - regardless of who makes it - - because the evidence shows that weight loss is caused by a calorie deficit, not by eliminating certain foods.

You can create a deficit by eliminating foods. If you are saying that it is your personal experience that bread slows down your weight loss even when in a deficit, I would be curious to know how you determined that, and how you isolated it from other factors.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    In no way am I an expert, quite the opposite. That said, I have eliminated bread and white rice completely. I adhere to the eat less then you burn concept, but for me the lack of gluten and decrease in sugar (bread) and the related insulin impacting effects make sense to me. I am having success with this method.

The method you are using is cico and eliminating carbs has zero point zero percent to do with it

The fear that strikes in people when they think of insulin. But they don't know what foods really impact insulin and to what level. It's just insulin = devil. I am not talking about diabetics.

Laugh it up fur ball. :) Seriously though, for me cico is not the end all be all. It's the foundation and yeah, it has to be followed. But, our bodies are pretty awesome machines and like a machine, the better fuel and fluids we give it, the better it will run. I only have so many calories a day, so I want to spend them on nutritious food as much as possible. I think bread takes up a lot of empty calories. Each to their own though. I see many people saying they eat bread and have awesome success.

As to the "evil" insulin, my understanding is sugar and those foods that break down quickly into sugar like refined wheat, increase insulin levels in the blood stream leading ultimately to the increased storage of fat. Again, I'm just starting to learn this stuff, so please correct me if I am wrong. I'm more interested in learning truth than being right. I try to get my info from science based sources like khan academy.

Based on this response I will keep laughing...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Did you know protein spikes insulin as well? Or did you know that insulin is what makes you feel full? The fact is, if you aren't insulin resistant, then your body will regulate it fairly quickly. I would recommend this article to get a better understanding of insulin.

Breads and rices aren't empty calories. In fact, they do have some beneficial nutrients in them (iirc they are high in thiamin, manganese and selenium).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I only have so many calories a day, so I want to spend them on nutritious food as much as possible. I think bread takes up a lot of empty calories. Each to their own though. I see many people saying they eat bread and have awesome success.

This is fine. Many people will argue that there are studies (correlation only, to my knowledge, however) showing positive results from eating whole grains, so I think the assumption that it's not nutritious is weak, and I personally need to include some things that aren't simply veggies or sources of protein (as bread is, to a limited extent) in my diet even to make up the calories I currently have and to fuel my exercise.

As I said above, bread is usually not my choice (if I wasn't lazy and got back into baking it myself, it very well might be, and same if I was tempted by really good bread all the time, but most bread doesn't seem worth the calories to me either).

Where I personally think you go wrong is:
    sugar and those foods that break down quickly into sugar like refined wheat, increase insulin levels in the blood stream leading ultimately to the increased storage of fat.

This is a misunderstanding. The problem with insulin is if people are insulin resistant and then the body doesn't properly react (by moving glucose to muscles and fat--to drastically over simplify) and instead keeps sending out more and more insulin without the normal satiety signals that follow insulin release.

The basic point is that your body doesn't build up fat in the absence of a calorie deficit merely because some deposits may well be made on a regular basis to your fat stores--we are always burning and adding fat.

It's kind of analogous to the misunderstanding about exercise in the "fat burning zone" being better because you burn fat and otherwise don't. It ignores the big picture.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

So you tell us to laugh it up but don't know the process makes sense. You do realize we store and burn fat all day right? It's about valleys out weighing peaks. You also clearly don't understand the important role insulin plays on your muscles.

I'll keep laughing it up while being successful at weight loss.

Here are the said peaks and valleys

Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    This is where, people go wrong. Thinking they have to cut everything out Or something out then snap as they miss it and just add the weight back.

Every food is evil and again no food is evil. Its all about understand that a slice of bread doesnt kill but a whole loaf of bread will. Its all about portion control. If u can learn that ur always will be skinny

Look at the french. Bread cheese wine meat fish veg cakes ect but its all about portion size. Get that right and u can live a life. Where u dont have to lose bread
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Love bread and jealous of all you that eat it regularly. I tend to avoid it as for some reason makes me really bloated and always feel uncomfortable after eating it.

Although, never cut it out completely as I do love it, in fact I had 2 awesome bread rolls with my chips last night :smiley:
  • futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without bread. Well, I could, but I wouldn't want to. But I usually only enjoy high quality bakery-quality bread so it's worth the calories.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    We're breaking bread?
This discussion has been closed.