plant based diet ?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Here you go! http://engine2diet.com/

Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter and champion triathlete who has great advice for adopting a "plant-strong" diet and getting optimum health.

Here is a video explaining his reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcmCCCk

Here is his father, Caldwell Esselstyn's webpage. Dr. Esselstyn is a renowned heart physician who advocates for a plant-based diet to fight disease, particularly heart disease: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

Also check out Rich Roll if you're into running: http://www.richroll.com/
    He also has a great podcast.

Hope that helps! Healthy plant-based is by far the superior choice. Feel free to friend me and follow my diary for recipes.

How many of the current Olympic or world record holders at any of the recognised track and field competitions are vegan? How does Rip Esselstyn compare against the Brownlee brothers? How about against Craig 'Crowie' Alexander?

So not superior. Distinctly second best.

I don't know if the diets of world-class athletes tell us much about how to eat for best long-term health. They're eating for performance.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I just don't know if those of us who aren't elite athletes should use the diets of Olympians and professional athletes as a template for how to eat for health.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter and champion triathlete who has great advice for adopting a "plant-strong" diet and getting optimum health.

Here is a video explaining his reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcmCCCk

Here is his father, Caldwell Esselstyn's webpage. Dr. Esselstyn is a renowned heart physician who advocates for a plant-based diet to fight disease, particularly heart disease: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

Hope that helps! Healthy plant-based is by far the superior choice. Feel free to friend me and follow my diary for recipes.

How many of the current Olympic or world record holders at any of the recognised track and field competitions are vegan? How does Rip Esselstyn compare against the Brownlee brothers? How about against Craig 'Crowie' Alexander?

I don't know if the diets of world-class athletes tell us much about how to eat for best long-term health. They're eating for performance.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I just don't know if those of us who aren't elite athletes should use the diets of Olympians and professional athletes as a template for how to eat for health.

Especially since we don't workout nearly as much or at an intensity as they do...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    And the usual crap "second rate protein / diet / unhealthy" comments just pile on in with no basis in anything but bro science. Of course a vegetarian / vegan diet is healthy, the same as a meat eating one is; but it can be unhealthy too if not done right. And yes - yet again - you do get your protein needs met from a well-balanced healthy vegan / vegetarian diet. Like any diet choice you have to be informed and make healthy choices - being a veggie / vegan does not mean you automatically lose weight - I know plenty of vegetarians that are overweigh - I was myself for years before going on a fitness and calorie counting plan.

Which is the point. Neither is superior to the other. That said, an omnivorous diet is far more versatile given the extended range of food choices.

pffff no one wants common sense in here.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It was more to point out the ridiculous argument that a vegan diet was superior because a particular athlete used it.

It's absolutely ridiculous.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Like I said for anyone looking into and asking about a plant based solution...do NOT be discouraged by those trying to intimidate you. No offence to those who are honest and know the health risks associated with meat and dairy...but for those that really think that plant based is not healthier...you need to do your research.

It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about.

Just friend me if your interested. I really don't want to waste my energy here on people that just want to bash and discourage others.

Well, no. It IS all about CICO. We aren't 'bashing', we are being honest. Macros and nutrition sources are important. Carbs, protein, and fats are all equally important. People need to eat a healthy, balanced diet. A person could eat over their limit of calories in just vegetables and be fat and unhealthy. A person could eat under their limit of calories in french fries and be skinny and unhealthy. Eating at a calorie deficit the right way, in moderation, and a good balance of foods, is the right way to do things, and that person will be healthier and achieve weight goals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So much lol in this thread.

To Rawroy, could you please post some of your "research" that makes you think plant based is healthier than a balanced diet? It has been asked in a couple threads, but you never provide anything. The links you have already posted in this thread (and in the other vegan thread) are not research. They are articles.

I would love to read some actual research since it seems to be so prevalent in your eyes.

Thanks!
  • BananasananaB
    BananasananaB Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly making the switch to a plant based diet over the last 6 months. I went full board about a month ago and haven't looked back. Currently, I have no issues getting 100 grams of protein a day without even trying, which is plenty. I feel a million times better and am easily losing weight while eating a ton of food. Win, win!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I've been slowly making the switch to a plant based diet over the last 6 months. I went full board about a month ago and haven't looked back. Currently, I have no issues getting 100 grams of protein a day without even trying, which is plenty. I feel a million times better and am easily losing weight while eating a ton of food. Win, win!

What are some of your favorite foods for protein?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

To Rawroy, could you please post some of your "research" that makes you think plant based is healthier than a balanced diet? It has been asked in a couple threads, but you never provide anything. The links you have already posted in this thread (and in the other vegan thread) are not research. They are articles.

I would love to read some actual research since it seems to be so prevalent in your eyes.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the research he claims exists is the "Forks over knives" stuff. It sound word for word. And if that is the case then the defense of his stance would be to watch it. But we know there isn't any other information to back it up.

Well, there is data to suggest that it is healthier. There are many studies and statistics showing the healthiest populations are those that follow either a vegetarian or Mediterranean style diet, both of which are plant based.

But, population data does not always translate to individual results.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the research he claims exists is the "Forks over knives" stuff. It sound word for word. And if that is the case then the defense of his stance would be to watch it. But we know there isn't any other information to back it up.

Well, there is data to suggest that it is healthier. There are many studies and statistics showing the healthiest populations are those that follow either a vegetarian or Mediterranean style diet, both of which are plant based.

Could you post some? I'm interested.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thanks!

Neither the vegetarian or Mediterranean diet eliminate animal products, however. That's a serious blow to the argument that one can't obtain optimal health without eliminating animal products from the diet.

Most "plant-based" people aren't just saying "eat more plants," they're saying that eating animal products is going to harm you. And the evidence we have from studies of the healthiest populations doesn't show that.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Well, no. It IS all about CICO. We aren't 'bashing', we are being honest. Macros and nutrition sources are important. Carbs, protein, and fats are all equally important. People need to eat a healthy, balanced diet. A person could eat over their limit of calories in just vegetables and be fat and unhealthy. A person could eat under their limit of calories in french fries and be skinny and unhealthy. Eating at a calorie deficit the right way, in moderation, and a good balance of foods, is the right way to do things, and that person will be healthier and achieve weight goals.

^^ Totally agree IF your definition of "healthy" is based solely on weight . Otherwise, healthy takes on a new meaning. It's different for everyone, and hopefully everyone on here can agree to THAT.

In the same way that everyone has differing opinions about what is "healthy", foods have varying components that support BOTH sides. You can't just say "plants are healthier than meats because they don't contain saturated fats." Ever looked at avocado nutrition facts? quite a bit more sat. fat per unit weight than lean chicken breast, so could one not argue that eating meat is much healthier than a plant based diet if you're ONLY considering that narrow minded context?

I'm neither for nor against. To each his/her own, so for me.... bring on the bacon...well OK, I'll settle for lean chicken breast, because it's healthier than SOME plants.

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks!

Could you post some? I'm interested.

No, I don't have them saved or anything. But a google search of Mediterranean Diet studies brings up quite a few resutls if you want to wade through them.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thanks!

I would like to see that data as well.

Thanks!

Neither the vegetarian or Mediterranean diet eliminate animal products, however. That's a serious blow to the argument that one can't obtain optimal health without eliminating animal products from the diet.

Most "plant-based" people aren't just saying "eat more plants," they're saying that eating animal products is going to harm you. And the evidence we have from studies of the healthiest populations doesn't show that.

I looked at the Mediterranean diet last year pretty heavily and I would in no way categorize it as a plant based diet.

No, my stepdad does it and it includes fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy. You can also eat red meat, although I think you are supposed to have it less often than fish and poultry. He actually picked it due to his love for fish. It helped him reach a calorie deficit -- he's lost close to 60 pounds and will probably be able to partner with his doctor to transition off his diabetes medication soon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks!

Oh, well why don't they just say vegan then? I'm not sure if "most people" really do that, but I do agree that evidence would not back that up.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    janejellyroll..stop misquoting me! I know what you are trying to do and I can tell by your 1,200 posts you have much more time then I do trolling these forums. Of course with a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Duh! I'm pointing out that anyone concerned about getting healthier too..it's NOT all about CICO and you should be more knowledgeable and know that eating more meat vs plants is NOT healthier. That is a scientific fat, NOT opinion! There are plenty of others here that know that...I was one of them for half my life. Have you ever been plant based?????

MrM27...How about showing me some scientific research where it states meat and dairy are healthier then plants...cough it up with some evidence....you obviously have the time....
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thanks!

Oh, well why don't they just say vegan then? I'm not sure if "most people" really do that, but I do agree that evidence would not back that up.

In my experience, it's because the "plant-based" people want to distinguish themselves from those of us that they call "junk food vegans." It's kind of like how you see some "clean eaters" assume that everyone who isn't a "clean eater" is living on Pop Tarts and Hot Pockets.

"Plant-based" became a way to describe those who follow additional restrictions beyond avoiding animal products. Also, there are some "plant-based" dieters who do not avoid non-food animal exploitation (that is, they continue to use animals for health & beauty products, animal entertainment, and clothing). Since "veganism" describes an ethical position on animal exploitation, having an additional term can be useful. I think that the term "plant-based" is pretty dumb . . . but it's better than not having anything at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thanks!

I would like to see that data as well.

Thanks!

I looked at the Mediterranean diet last year pretty heavily and I would in no way categorize it as a plant based diet.

Why not? The base is vegetables and legumes, fruit and whole grains.