Bread??

Options

Replies

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost 44 pounds and have maintained for over a year, and I refuse to give up bread, especially my homemade bread.

Weight loss is calories in/out, type of food in your dietary program is preference only.

I, too, am a homemade bread baker. Leave as many contaminants and chemicals out of your diet as possible! But I eat sandwiches - burgers, grilled cheese even! Consider the type of diet you expect to maintain when you reach maintenance weight. Do you anticipate bread to be in that diet? If yes, then you should probably come to terms with it now, while you are losing weight rather than wait for the eleventh hour to find out if you can eat bread without a pig out session turning you into a pig!

There's a place in the world for everything and, for most people, that can include bread in their diet!
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So you tell us to laugh it up but don't know the process makes sense. You do realize we store and burn fat all day right? It's about valleys out weighing peaks. You also clearly don't understand the important role insulin plays on your muscles.

I'll keep laughing it up while being successful at weight loss.

Right on. I am glad you are successful and I appreciate your input. I'll definitely spend time researching insulin's effect on muscles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hint: insulin is the transport mechanism to get glucose to the muscles.
  • greenlizard72
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Based on this response I will keep laughing...

It's a famous line from a famous movie followed by a smiley to indicate humor...

Your avatar picture shows you have great results and you are someone I would listen too, especially if you came from an overweight place like me.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've lost and kept off a lot of weight for years and never once did I give up bread :)
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Hey Jelly, I am doing a scientific study for you today. I have my morning weight (and past daily weights since Jan 1). I have noteaten today, so I have my breakfast calories to add to my lunch calories. I have 59 days straight of weighing less then I did on the 7th prior day.

For lunch I am having a fried catfish filet po-boy, on a white bread roll, with mayo and tartar sauce, fries and cole slaw. Might start out with some fried oysters. I love ketsup on top of crackers, so I will count how many of those I have. Might end it with some key lime pie.

I will log all the food items and calories and we will see if you are right, or if this meal maybe slows down my weight loss.

As always, my diary is open for anyone to look at. Yum Yum!!!

• dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love Marks and Spencers spelt honey and sunflower bread we can get over here in uk and spelt is better for you :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey Jelly, I am doing a scientific study for you today. I have my morning weight (and past daily weights since Jan 1). I have noteaten today, so I have my breakfast calories to add to my lunch calories. I have 59 days straight of weighing less then I did on the 7th prior day.

For lunch I am having a fried catfish filet po-boy, on a white bread roll, with mayo and tartar sauce, fries and cole slaw. Might start out with some fried oysters. I love ketsup on top of crackers, so I will count how many of those I have. Might end it with some key lime pie.

I will log all the food items and calories and we will see if you are right, or if this meal maybe slows down my weight loss.

A "study" of one subject doesn't establish anything.

Your assumption that weight loss is based only on what was eaten the subsequent day is faulty.

And even if you do gain weight tomorrow, how will you know that it wasn't the fried food? Or the potatoes? Or the pie? Or the sodium?

If you don't lose weight by tomorrow's weigh in, you will have demonstrated nothing.

The only thing this "study" demonstrates is that you have a poor understanding of the subject.

• royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love bread and wheat flour products and am happier when I eat them. However I find that breads and other wheat products are generally high in calories, but they only fill me up for a while - I can eat a whole lot calorie-wise and be hungry a couple hours later, whereas rice and beans and meat are way more satiating for me.

Given the above I am trying to cut down on (not cut out) the wheat products I eat because eating them can end up being counterproductive to my goals. I'm also trying to add more whole grains to my diet in place of the tons of refined grains I love to eat. It's slow going but I'm getting there.

To answer your question, cutting out bread isn't necessary and bread isn't an "empty-calorie" food. Carbs are an important macronutrient, as are fats and proteins and some micronutrients I don't really care about (all of which are in bread to some varying degree). BUT like everything else you eat, you have to watch it because if you eat as much as you want while you're counting calories, you're going to end up having to cut back on important nutrient groups (protein and fats) just so you don't go way over your calorie limit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Daily water fluctuation does not equal reduced metabolism.

Bread might cause more short term water retention if you are also increasing your carbs. Quite as likely (or more if you are blaming bread and not other carbs), you may be more likely to eat bread with other foods that have more sodium and cause water retention--either because it's in a restaurant commonly or because you happen to like high sodium lunch meats or fried things or the like on your bread.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Quite as likely (or more if you are blaming bread and not other carbs), you may be more likely to eat bread with other foods that have more sodium and cause water retention

Like, for example, if you paired bread with fried fish, mayo, tartar sauce, fries, and coleslaw?
  • greenlizard72
    edited April 2015
    Options
    psulemon
    No, I did not know protein spiked insulin, but I did know about insulin contributing to the fullness feeling, along with leptin. I'll read that article today. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE good bread. The tastes and the amazing ability to hold delicious foods in the form of a sandwich or hamburger. I just choose to spend my calories on things I feel are more valuable. It's not 100% or die though. If I am forced to have bread because of location or situation, I'll eat and be happy. It's happened a couple times like at my daughter's hockey games. I don't think bread is poison!

And thanks for the graphic. Charts and graphs rock!

lemurcat12
    Thanks for explaining where you think I go wrong. You make sense and now I have to read more to better my understanding. I likely still won't eat bread often. Everything else aside, my wife has to remove it from her intake, and it's easier to do that if it's not around.

• donjtomasco
    Options
    Jelly, does this mean that you are retracting your mantra of "if it fits into your calories you can eat whatever makes you happy"? Or are you now saying that you can gain wait eating whatever makes you happy, even if it is within your daily calorie goals? Can you clear up your messy thinking? I will check back in after a few bites. And I will post weight updates here for you. :)
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Yes lemur, like I said, a slowdown in weight loss at the scale. You say say this many different ways. And thank you jelly for indirectly agreeing with me. Ouch, that must have been hard on you......... :)
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Full transparency, I am under my daily calorie goal by 3,183 for the prior six days (not including the 3,000 that MFP gives me for my goal of 1# loss per week), so a very fair study will be to see what my morning weight is for the next 8 days. I have so many saved up calories in my bank to spend at lunch today.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could go a day without eating bread.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Wow was that a fun lunch. I could only eat 1/2 of my side of fried okra. But I finished my 6 breaded and fried oysters (a la carte), a fried catfish filet po-boy (no mayo), and the other side of fries. Add 4 ounces of ketsup, 4 ounces of tartar sauce, 3 glasses of diet coke (fountain), lettuce and 2 slices of tomatoes. Now I need to load this meal in piece by piece.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Jelly, does this mean that you are retracting your mantra of "if it fits into your calories you can eat whatever makes you happy"? Or are you now saying that you can gain wait eating whatever makes you happy, even if it is within your daily calorie goals? Can you clear up your messy thinking? I will check back in after a few bites. And I will post weight updates here for you. :)

That was never my mantra. My "mantra" is that weight loss is determined by CICO and that if you are creating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Your claim that certain foods -- even if eaten within a calorie deficit -- will slow down weight gain is unproven. And it will be unproven if you fail to lose weight after a single day of eating a high carbohydrate, high fat, high sodium meal.

My thinking isn't messy. Your reading comprehension appears to be flawed, as you are attributing things to me that I have never written. And your thinking about science appears to be flawed as well, given the design of your "study."
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, bread

If you can fit it into your calories and have no health reasons to watch your carb/gluten intake, keep it in there
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Full transparency, I am under my daily calorie goal by 3,183 for the prior six days (not including the 3,000 that MFP gives me for my goal of 1# loss per week), so a very fair study will be to see what my morning weight is for the next 8 days. I have so many saved up calories in my bank to spend at lunch today.

This is not a fair study, for the reasons that I pointed out above.

A "study" cannot be conducted on a single person. A "study" would not fail to eliminate other factors (fat, sodium, etc). A "study" would not be based on the flawed premise that weight loss is based solely on what one has consumed in the previous 24 hours.
This discussion has been closed.