Any 5x5 Success Stories?

Options
1235»

Replies

• BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @danelutza19 seems like you've made great progress. Congrats!!! Can I ask how long before you started increasing your calorie intake?
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    @MikeDee_ny I started to feel fatigue after the first 2,3 weeks on Stronglifts so I upped my calories to 1850 and then after another month I went to 1930. Over the winter I went to 2050, then 2150 :) I just took a break for two weeks and ate around 2700 calories daily. Starting today I'm experimenting with 2200 for the next two weeks.
    Hope this helps
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    This program will work great as long as you stay dedicated to it, give it at least 3,4 months before you actually begin to evaluate it. Also, once the weights go up and you're not willing to also up your calories, its resonable to scale the program to two days a week.
    Now go grab a barbell and beast out!

Yes! This is mainly a strength/muscle building program and is MEANT to be done on a calorie surplus in order to continue to build muscle and gain strength. It can be done on a calorie deficit, but you have to realize that as you move into heavier weights without more calories, the body has a harder time recovering. A lot of people that I've talked to on MFP that have done SL beyond the initial 12 weeks and have been on a deficit, will drop it to twice a week and also drop it to 3x5. Listen to your body and if you're repeatedly failing lifts, a decrease in days/reps might be in order to go with the programmed deload.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @MikeDee_ny I started to feel fatigue after the first 2,3 weeks on Stronglifts so I upped my calories to 1850 and then after another month I went to 1930. Over the winter I went to 2050, then 2150 :) I just took a break for two weeks and ate around 2700 calories daily. Starting today I'm experimenting with 2200 for the next two weeks.
    Hope this helps

Excellent. Thank you.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks into strong lifts and I love it. The only thing I struggle with is OHP. I have decided to increase the weight by 2.5lb on everything else and 5lb on the deadlift. It seems more doable for me and keeps me motivated.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I'm 7 weeks into strong lifts and I love it. The only thing I struggle with is OHP. I have decided to increase the weight by 2.5lb on everything else and 5lb on the deadlift. It seems more doable for me and keeps me motivated.

That's great! Even small progress is still progress ;)
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great thread. My wife and I have been doing SL 5x5 since January. We got a power cage at home and some cheap weights & bar from Canadian Tire. We both started with just the 15 pound bar and worked up from there. I got up to Squats 5x5 at 175pounds before I tweaked my back and deloaded by half after a week off to rest. I am now working my way back up (haven't reached failure on any of my lifts yet) and am at the following weights again as of now:

Squat 5x5: 155
    DL 1x5: 155
    OHP 5x5: 85
    BP 5x5: 110
    Row 5x5: 110

I've gone from 261.8 on Jan 10th to 246.9 as of this week. I track my food religiously and use a fitbit to estimate my TDEE. I don't enter weight lifting activity to gain extra calories, but I do eat a good portion of the calories I earn back based on what the fitbit tracks from my motion. I also run on the treadmill 3 days a week when possible, I've been working up to a 20 minute continuous run.

My wife has lost a similar amount of weight and we're both very happy with the program.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    One more... Arms progress :)
    mcdkh8k8nv5d.jpg

Hell ya girl, awesome!!!!!
  • sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I enjoy SL5x5, and have been doing it for almost 10 months, and plan to complete my year with it before moving to a new program.

I've gone from:
    Squat: 45 > 310
    DL : 95 > 320
    Bench: 45 > 180
    Row: 45 > 175
    OHP: 45 > 160
  • McCloud33
    Options
    sbogstad wrote: »
    I enjoy SL5x5, and have been doing it for almost 10 months, and plan to complete my year with it before moving to a new program.

I've gone from:

Are those 1RMx or 5x5 weights? Either way that OHP is legit! Good Job!
  • sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    sbogstad wrote: »

I've gone from:

Are those 1RMx or 5x5 weights? Either way that OHP is legit! Good Job!

Completed 5x5, with the exception of DL. Forgot to include my other stats.

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 294 > 220
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is only my third week of doing 5x5, and I do the program first thing in the mornings on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. I love it so much I have no problem getting out of bed at 7am to go to the gym! I've never had an exercise that has me that excited to do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!