Geek Girl on an Epic Quest to lose 80lbs, wanna join? More companions wanted!

Options

Replies

• tealbuddha27
    tealbuddha27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would also love to join you on your quest. I have about 130lb to lose and also love all things geeky. Sadly I'm not much of a gamer but I do love LOTR, the entire Whedonverse, and just nerdy stuff in general. I would love to have like minded people to help inspire and motivate. Please add me!
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @FitGeekery have you considered creating a geek group here on MFP. It seems all the geek related groups I could find were older and not very active, and there seems to be a lot of interest in this one thread.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    gypsyish wrote: »
    @FitGeekery have you considered creating a geek group here on MFP. It seems all the geek related groups I could find were older and not very active, and there seems to be a lot of interest in this one thread.

I'd join this
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @Ellarai Another geeky gamer girl, yessss! Internet five! Haha And another Twitch viewer? That's awesome. Fully agreed that I need to get off my butt and get moving, trying to find ways to work around my gaming geekery and not have to sacrifice too much of it ;) Considering yourself added!

@starbucktigh Geek girls ftw! Adding you, always nice to see another DC fan :smiley:

@nephilim_dreams Looks like we have a huge crossover on geeky loves as well as fitness goals, and yay to another Mass Effect fan! Brogans for life ;) Sending a request your way :)

@addlam Star Wars!! I just saw the teaser trailers a couple days ago and guuuuuh. Yup, so excited for them. Adding you too :smiley:

@unaffected I can totally see why being a mum can take away focus from yourself. You could also see it as when you take care of yourself more, you're able to take care of your son more too :D So nice to see as many Walking Dead and GOT fans... and omg that gif XD Mondays totally WOULD be Joffrey, the little jerk haha

@unaffected HabitRPG can be used to track whatever you like, so if you wanted to focus on weight loss goals, here are some things that I've been trying out:
    • Under the "Habits" tab I've been keeping track of when I walk to/from work. This is a habit I'm trying to form and I can get XP every time I do it, and I also have the option of dinging myself when I don't.
    • Under the "Dailies" tab I've added tasks for "Staying within calorie goal"/"Drink water" (with tick boxes for how many bottles I'm aiming for)/"Work out" etc. These are ones that I -need- to do daily or on specific days and again I get rewards if I tick them off but if I don't my character automatically loses health.
    • Under To Do's I've added things like "5 lbs lost"/"10 lbs lost"/"Go grocery shopping" etc.

It's pretty easy to add tags and add your own rewards/costs. You can change difficulties of tasks and set deadlines/recurring dates etc. I like the flexibility so you can make it work for fitness/non-fitness things. It's just a fun tool to help you form good habits and track whatever kinds of tasks you want :)

@gypsyish Love to see that cosplays are goals for a lot of gals here, nice to see we have our priorities straight ;) I've got an open diary which I've found super helpful for getting new ideas etc. Sending a request your way!

@Zelinna Haha love the tights!! Grats on hitting your goal, that's awesome and it's really encouraging to have people who have succeeded around. Love going to comic cons, nothing like being surrounded by my people XD Adding you!

@abetterluke I really will, the weekend was busy so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'll try and do that this afternoon :smiley:

@runningagainstmyself Agreed, having like-minded people to support and be supported by is really an amazing thing. Sending an add your way :)

@tealbuddha27 Sending a friend request your way! Nothing wrong with not being a gamer, that's the best thing about being a geek: there are so many weird and wonderful ways to be one ;)

Hmm... I honestly hadn't thought of starting a group, I'd already seen a couple geeky/gamer ones but like you'd mentioned they were fairly inactive. If there was enough interest and active people I'd definitely consider making one!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    @abetterluke I really will, the weekend was busy so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'll try and do that this afternoon :smiley:

Allot yourself at least 2 hours. I promise you will need it. When I discovered nerd fitness I spent DAYS going back through old articles and reading several hours at a time. It's such an incredible resource. And Steve Kamb is awesome.

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'd defo join a geek group! BTW, anyone who wants to add me, feel free.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would totally join the group too! I've joined others in the past but hardly anyone would ever post in them.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @abetterluke Dang, thanks for the forewarning! I'll make sure to check it out on one of my solo chill evenings haha

@samgamgee @kandell Yeah that's my main concern about making a group, I've no problem doing it I'd just like to make sure it's something people would want and use regularly. I think it could possibly be more successful if it covered both geekery as well as weightloss. Better to include both because most of us in this thread are working to balance both aspects hehe
  • divinekittycat
    divinekittycat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to join! I'm 5'1" and started at around 202 lbs- my goal is 125 for starters. I'm currently just shy of 25 lbs down.

I love Star Wars (but don't get me started on the new stuff), Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, various anime, Discworld, Doctor Who, Orphan Black... and probably some other stuff that I can't think of at the moment.

I used to do fencing back when I was in high school or sometime around then. I threw everyone off because I'm ambidextrous. It was awesome but it was a city program that bit the dust many, many years ago unfortunately.
  • MrWillis212
    MrWillis212 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to this group! With everyone's weight loss journey its good to make it interactive and fun so mixing geek culture with it just makes it all so much better. Not to mention meeting some great people out of it. :smile:
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @divinekittycat Sending a request your way! Battlestar Galactica is a series long recommended to me, I'm really going to have to look into it. Fencing always reminds me of "Princess Bride", and I'm the kind of nerd who'd keep saying "My name is Inigo Montoya... you killed my father... prepare to die!", I'm sure to the chagrin of my fencing partners XD

@MrWillis212 I haven't made a group yet, but feel free to browse the thread and find like-minded geeks! I'll add you as well and I agree mixing fitness and geekery gets me revved even more than if I simply focused on weight loss alone.

So looks like I might end up starting a group after all since there seems to be such a strong interest. Give me a while to get things set up and I'll make a new thread posting details ;)
  • nephilim_dreams
    nephilim_dreams Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like the group idea!

Feel free to add me, anyone :smile: My profile is empty right now but I shall fill it out in due course!
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @divinekittycat
    Sent a request your way. No fencing at my schools- that would have been fun!

I am also quite ambidexterous myself- If I get to learn fencing or sword fighting someday It will come in quite handy :). (I do have 2 baseball gloves for playing catch lol)
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    (Just in case anyone is watching this thread and missed the separate post I made a bit ago, we've now got an official geeks-losing-weight-and-generally-being-awesome-together group ;)Clicky here if you'd like to join!)
  • Magseye
    Magseye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    Oh...Just to throw out my geeky loves...

Sherlock
    Supernatural (But I'm behind a season or two T-T)
    Many animes...like too many to list...
    Skyrim
    Tomb Raider games
    Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit/The Silmarillion (Ask me about my Morgoth cosplay...)
    Star Wars
    Star Trek

That's all I can think of for now...

Yes! Tomb Raider, one of my original game addictions, it beacome the reason I bought my first Playstation.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    (Just in case anyone is watching this thread and missed the separate post I made a bit ago, we've now got an official geeks-losing-weight-and-generally-being-awesome-together group ;)Clicky here if you'd like to join!)

Yay! =]
  • subzero22
    subzero22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey new here and I'll join your quest also. I need to get off my butt and lose weight. I'm 5'9" and over 100 lbs of my weight but starting my goal at losing 50lbs first. I'm into a lot of what you and others are into but I'm a really heavy video gamer. I think a little too heavy as I play games at home and at work. I do work but have a lot of free time during it so sit down a lot and should take the time to do some exorcise lol.

Everyone is free to add me especially other gamers :wink: wish everyone good luck in their goal to.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @subzero22 Welcome, nice to have you! That's a really good idea to break your goal down into smaller goals, definitely finding that makes it much less intimidating. Another geeky gamer, yusss! Throwing an add your way :smiley:
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    An official welcome @subzero22 -my real life geeky friend. So glad you joined us.
  • squidvicious666
    squidvicious666 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Megadork over here! I mostly read webcomics. And video games. I play roller derby and I started p90 a couple weeks ago. I want to drop another 50 lbs or so. I just joined mfp today. Once im done with p90 im gojng to start half marathon training. Really want to do kettle bells. Also mudruns. I want those for breakfast.