Soda how long can you go without it?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Aspartame what is it ? Can someone spread some knowledge

Artificial sweetener used in a myriad of diet products, but very prevalent in diet drinks. There are always two sides to every food story, but personally, I think anything sweetened with it just tastes bad. This article may be a bit over the top, but you get the idea......articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Please don't link to known quacks. http://www.quackwatch.com/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query=mercola
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    I used to drink soda all the time when I was a kid, but only because I didn't discover how great bottled water is xD I don't think I've had one since...middle of last year?
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    I cut myself to only three caffeine drinks a day. I found that I had coffee and there was no room for soda. And no problem, and I lost weight.
    I did well at that until beginning this real diet since January. It's harder now!
    I have one coke on Fridays when I work a split shift at the restaurant. Otherwise I'm drinking diet soda which I despise!
  • wakingdreamer
    wakingdreamer Posts: 12 Member
    I'd stopped drinking soda for health reasons, but when I was at the dentist and the first time in FOREVER my tooth enamel had stopped getting progressively wore, I swore off pop forever. I might very occasionally have one at a special occasion where nothing else is available (like at a wedding reception I was at), but other than that, GOODBYE SODA. Hee he hee. Keeping my teeth sounds much more appealing.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I quit drinking soda, Diet Pepsi, in March 2012 and haven't had any since. I didn't drink hardly any water, just coffee and then diet pepsi through out the day. I realized with the help of a dietcian that my body was dehydrated. I now drink 80 oz or more of water a day.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    I spent some of my childhood overseas and soda was considered a special 'treat' that you'd only have during a celebration or if guests came over. It was only when we moved back to the U.S. did I become addicted to it because it was cheap and literally flowed in fountains! Then I became serious about losing weight and my health back in 2011 and my taste-buds changed so now I'm indifferent about soda. I don't consciously avoid it anymore, but I also don't crave. I have only bought soda for my home once since 2011. Occasionally I'll drink it if I'm out of the home, I'd say maybe once or twice a month. I will say that when I do drink it I have a brief mental battle on whether or not I should have the regular or diet. The diet obviously has zero calories which is important when you're trying to be at a caloric deficit. On the flip-side, the artificial sugars have been found to be really unhealthy for so many reasons and linked to cancer as well as fat creation because the body doesn't recognize it as sugar; a lot of the medical community is now recommending regular soda with real sugar over the artificial. The diet soda still seems to win 90% of the time but I really should just get back to thinking it is a 'treat' and opt for the regular version. I suppose this is most definitely a 1st world problem! lol
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    How long could I live without soda? The rest of my life. It's not a food I enjoy. Coffee on the other hand.....
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I drink around 4 cans of diet pop (its not soda...is pop =) each day. It will have to be pried out of my cold, dead, hands.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    SallyinIL wrote: »
    How long could I live without soda? The rest of my life. It's not a food I enjoy. Coffee on the other hand.....

^^^ this.....
    it is a very rare occassion that I drink soda.....when i do, it usually has booze in it.....LOL
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    I drink around 4 cans of diet pop (its not soda...is pop =) each day. It will have to be pried out of my cold, dead, hands.

Agreed. Except for the "pop" part. :wink: And I prefer bottles to cans. :smiley:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I drink a bottle or can of a diet soda almost everyday and will very rarely use Dr. Pepper to make pulled pork. I'm somewhat tempted to stop buying them regularly to save some cash.

The last time I had regular soda was a root beer this Easter. It was a really crappy store brand though. :neutral:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Diet sodas only, as I watch how and where I get my sugars. They are such a refreshing treat, and virtually no calories either. I won't give them up.

There's loads of misinformation on the internet about artificial sweeteners. It's hard to wade all through that. I am convinced that the sweeteners that have been cleared by the FDA are indeed safe to consume.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Soda! We see it everywhere they advertise it in low calorie forms , and oh the sweet goodness in your mouth! But how bad it is to drink too much soda I have gone on a soda strike for about a month now and have seen great improvements. So my question to you is do you drink soda ? Is it diet? Or are you like me and refuse to touch it anymore ? Or do you just drink some on cheat days ? Please share :D

I drink it very rarely... Maybe once or twice a year.
    I stopped drinking most soda pop about 15 years ago. It wasn't ever something I had a lot of so not a big deal to stop.
    I drink water or unsweetened tea. If I did have a soda pop I would just get regular not diet.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    How long can I go without a soda ? Unknown but it has been a few years since I had one. Not even on my radar.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I have one soda a day - love me some Coke Zero. I don't drink the full sugared versions, diet only, but still try to keep it to one a day.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    I stopped drinking sugared sodas in the '90s, and don't drink diet sodas daily anymore. I usually have a 16 ounce bottle of diet 7up in the fridge and take a sip now and then. Usually takes me a week or 2 to finish off a bottle.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Soda maybe once or twice a month. One can, no more.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Soda! We see it everywhere they advertise it in low calorie forms , and oh the sweet goodness in your mouth! But how bad it is to drink too much soda I have gone on a soda strike for about a month now and have seen great improvements. So my question to you is do you drink soda ? Is it diet? Or are you like me and refuse to touch it anymore ? Or do you just drink some on cheat days ? Please share :D

I used to drink regular coke and then switched to diet/coke zero when I began my weight loss phase several years ago. Had no problem losing almost 60lbs while drinking diet soda several times a day, and continue to have no problems with drinking diet soda and now successfully maintaining my loss. I have also experimented with cutting it out (longest was a 3 month period last summer)-didn't notice anything different, except I saved some money :) I enjoy diet soda so I'll continue to drink it.
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Thank u all for ur comments
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    When I have coke/soda, it is usually a fountain drink from Sonic or Subway. I don't drink it every day, but when I do it's so good. I lost weight and have maintained my current weight all while drinking coke in moderation. I have on occassion drank diet, but I prefer the real deal.