The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Options

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    I loved this. And Crazyjerseygirl.. you are right on. and its sad. because it's often those who have no choice in those decisions that suffer(unvaccinated kids).

And OH NO!! there's nitrogen in the air and acetic acid in your salad!! loved it!

Yup! And dihydrogen monoxide in your body! *gasp!*

The vaccination thing really irks me. My sons best friend can't get MMR for medical reasons, so now his parents get to live in fear because of dopes who prefer disbarred doctors and playboy bunnies to actual science. :(

If her son can't be vaccinated, then he is part of the problem - however he somehow gets a pass because you know his parents personally and understand their reasoning for not vaccinating. Parents that choose to under vaccinate or not at all just MIGHT have a good reason that doesn't seem obvious to people like you who like to clump everyone in the same box...very few people who do not vaccinate these days actually care about autism or Jenny McCarthy, FYI. You never know why parents choose not to vaccinate...but I'm sure you don't care about that and prefer to assume you know everything about everyone and their motives.

There is literally no evidence to suggest that vaccines cause autism.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/mmr-vaccine.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2007/January08/Pages/MMRvaccinedoesnotcauseautism.aspx
    Andrew Wakefield's work has been completely discredited and he has been struck off as a doctor in the UK. Subsequent studies during the last eight years have found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism or bowel disease.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    If you choose not to vaccinate your kid for any other reason than they are immune compromised or have a legit allergy to the vaccine then please home school them and keep them away from the public. Not vaccinating for "reasons" is selfish beyond belief.

Allergy is not an excuse. My oldest tested positive to whole eggs, egg yokes, and egg whites. (Yes, they tested all three and he is legit allergic. Annoying, not life threatening.) He gets a flu shot every year and is up to date on all other vaccines. The American board of pediatrics says egg allergies are not a contraindication.

There are some people who are allergic to other ingredients in vaccines though.

Glad your son can be vaccinated :smile:

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

@DaneanP , that is an awesome link. Thanks.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you choose not to vaccinate your kid for any other reason than they are immune compromised or have a legit allergy to the vaccine then please home school them and keep them away from the public. Not vaccinating for "reasons" is selfish beyond belief.

Allergy is not an excuse. My oldest tested positive to whole eggs, egg yokes, and egg whites. (Yes, they tested all three and he is legit allergic. Annoying, not life threatening.) He gets a flu shot every year and is up to date on all other vaccines. The American board of pediatrics says egg allergies are not a contraindication.

Egg is the most common. I've not heard of allergies to any other ingredients.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I think it's severity, I know this is my friends problem and her son has most vaccinations but the dr doesn't want to risk MMR till he's older.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    20698_902158986509880_4457311705806089337_n.jpg?oh=e0c85fefa85fec043b60563183bceb9c&oe=559B1C33
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I'm apparently mildly allergic/sensitive to thimerosal. I still get vaccinated though, with minor ill effects.

If I use a contact lens solution that contains it, though? Oh, boy. It's not pretty.

Surprisingly, it's never given me autism, though :c
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Do you guys remember a thread a few months back where a woman insisted that sodium bicarbonate was a toxin because they use it in rock quarry leaching processes or something like that? That was one of my favorite all time threads...

So because they use food for non-food things it's poison?

I wonder what they think of corn ethanol?

Oh she was a peach. I can't remember what started it, I think it had something to do with KFC, she said that it was evil because they use chemicals in the chicken, and when we prompted her to name the evil chemicals she said sodium bicarbonate. You know, baking soda. She wouldn't back down though. Said she doesn't consume it. EVER.

CHEMICAL CHICKEN!!! Oh, the memories. That thread was bingo X 1,000. Seriously, I think I filled out three sheets. All I was missing was magic trampolines.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Do you guys remember a thread a few months back where a woman insisted that sodium bicarbonate was a toxin because they use it in rock quarry leaching processes or something like that? That was one of my favorite all time threads...

Oh she was a peach. I can't remember what started it, I think it had something to do with KFC, she said that it was evil because they use chemicals in the chicken, and when we prompted her to name the evil chemicals she said sodium bicarbonate. You know, baking soda. She wouldn't back down though. Said she doesn't consume it. EVER.

CHEMICAL CHICKEN!!! Oh, the memories. That thread was bingo X 1,000. Seriously, I think I filled out three sheets. All I was missing was magic trampolines.

Wait...there's a bingo card? WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME?!?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Awesome! A fellow Food Babe hater here at work and I have proclaimed Fridays to be #foodbabefriday where we try to dig up the most ridiculous claims of her that we can find.... This is a perfect way to start my day, thanks Acg!
  • PRMinx
    Options

Stick around. Bingo threads happen ALL THE TIME. LOL.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Who is handing out the bingo cards these days? I had one, but it was in my inbox, and those messages get deleted after 30 days I think and I forgot to save the sucker. I can't remember who sent it to me, Emily maybe?

• PRMinx
    Options

Who is handing out the bingo cards these days? I had one, but it was in my inbox, and those messages get deleted after 30 days I think and I forgot to save the sucker. I can't remember who sent it to me, Emily maybe?

I don't know. I just create them in my head haha. But there was a great one going around in an image. It might actually be in the chemical chicken thread.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

"Because we're winning"

That in a nutshell is it. Gone are the days (or were those days ever here?) of educated consumer who would just say "meh" and pass by. I live in a country where the presidential candidates from one party will proudly pronounce that they reject science and embrace mythology. So yes, the uneducated are winning and I'm scared as *kitten* about it.

Taking the high road of letting idiots be is too dangerous in a culture where a person who rejects evidence can start a war.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

"Because we're winning"

That in a nutshell is it. Gone are the days (or were those days ever here?) of educated consumer who would just say "meh" and pass by. I live in a country where the presidential candidates from one party will proudly pronounce that they reject science and embrace mythology. So yes, the uneducated are winning and I'm scared as *kitten* about it.

Taking the high road of letting idiots be is too dangerous in a culture where a person who rejects evidence can start a war.

I cringe about what our allies must think when these are the ones we put forward as leadership material.

• crazyjerseygirl
    Options

"Because we're winning"

I cringe about what our allies must think when these are the ones we put forward as leadership material.

Give it a few generations and we woulnt have anything to ally with. Seriously, how long do they think scientists will stay in a country that hates science?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    California passed the mandatory vaccination law. There was a picture in our local paper of a mother and her baby, obviously passionate about her beliefs and obviously a protester, weeping at the result. Full of pathos, for sure. I wish I could put my arm around that poor woman and explain her fears are all out of proportion of the danger.

I wonder if the lack of genuine threats to our children leads to irrational fears (first world problems)? We're genetically predisposed to remove all threats to our progeny, after all.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This isn't Foodbabe but another anti vaxxer. The most ridiculous thing I've seen. Warning: contains potential triggers of abuse.
    https://www.facebook.com/vaccineinfo/posts/10153193325775891:0