Should woman over 50 wear short dresses/skirts?

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »

OP is that you and is that the skirt you are thinking about?

Yes it's me.

OMG!!! You shouldn't even think twice. You do carry yourself so well in a skirt. Go for it girl!!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Loving the responses on here... my SO likes me in short skirts and I've always felt they were "inappropriate" for a 51 year old, so wore them on a very limited basis.

Think I'm going to throw that rule out now (except for work!). You've made one guy very, very happy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, you look terrific in that. You've got great legs!

I think any woman (or man) should wear what she feels comfortable in.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Andreas (60) likes to wear skirts... he looks good.

1401-Andreas-Cahling-2.jpg

I second that. Andreas does look cute. Is Andreas on MFP? I want to send an FR.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    OP: I LOVE it! And I think it looks great on you! Just my opinion, but I think you should wear it and feel confident in your choice to wear it. :wink:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How long have you had said skirt? If it's circa 1980, probably not...LOL

--This is probably what I should be concerned with LOL.....but here we go....I'm doing it...I'm going show you all! No offence will be taken if it's outdated....I'd rather hear it from all of you. Thanks again for your input...I appreciate it!

8bghcd68abs4.png

It looks fine to me.
    Not particularly short or overly young in style IMO. I don't think anyone will bat an eye over you wearing skirts that length.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Loving the responses on here... my SO likes me in short skirts and I've always felt they were "inappropriate" for a 51 year old, so wore them on a very limited basis.

Think I'm going to throw that rule out now (except for work!). You've made one guy very, very happy.

Meh... rules! Glad you and the SO are going to be happy.

I'm limited by size. I'm 42 and a size 0 in juniors. Makes it very difficult to find clothing that fits me. Try to find a skirt in the juniors section that isn't showing butt cheek. It's a challenge, but I've managed to find some.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options

8bghcd68abs4.png

If that's the skirt, don't worry, it's fine, If it were any shorter I would say no. I'm sure my wife would object to me wearing testicles on top of my belt. This is also conversation one should have with their family, if my daughter tried to walk out with a stripper skirt, then I would say HELL NO! Your style is a reflection of who you are and want you want.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

8bghcd68abs4.png

If that's the skirt, don't worry, it's fine, If it were any shorter I would say no. I'm sure my wife would object to me wearing testicles on top of my belt. This is also conversation one should have with their family, if my daughter tried to walk out with a stripper skirt, then I would say HELL NO! Your style is a reflection of who you are and want you want.

Good thing it's not up to you.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    My honest opinion? It's completely fine to wear a mature skirt or dress, but I don't think women over 50 (or to be quite honest, over 20ish) should wear certain styles... like jean skirts. Those are really for tweens. I think it's more about the STYLE of the dress/skirt, but nothing wrong with showing a little leg in a classy way!
    I would disagree with this. Now that I have lost some weight, one of my daughters actually bought me a jean skirt shorter than anything I now have, but not super short either. She said my skirts were too long! I am way over 50! And I certainly will wear it. It is about the same length as the picture posted previously.
    70044776.png
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

8bghcd68abs4.png

Oh really? Do tell. If I go out tonight in my leather mini, who am I and what do I want?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Women of any age should wear whatever tf they want without getting backhanded compliments about being "brave", being shamed for not adhering to some arbitrary personal standard of modesty, or having to follow any silly fashion "rules".

The end.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Women of any age should wear whatever tf they want without getting backhanded compliments about being "brave", being shamed for not adhering to some arbitrary personal standard of modesty, or having to follow any silly fashion "rules".

The end.

+1 X 1,000,000
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love to see people wearing anything they like. I wouldn't wear short skirts - not because I am over 50, but because I have legs like a carthorse :) You look good in your skirt, OP. Whatever you wear, if you own it, you will be happy.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

The end.

+1 X 1,000,000

P.S.

All that and also they should be able to do so without being blamed for someone else's disrespect and poor breeding.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you want, and more power to you for it.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

8bghcd68abs4.png

Oh really? Do tell. If I go out tonight in my leather mini, who am I and what do I want?

common sense people, I hate when girls wear low cut tops, and if they catch you looking your considered a pig, why is that?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Are you telling me that if I walk out in my knee-high boots, leather jacket, mini skirt, and a bustier that I'm asking for it if someone decides to grab my rear (or worse)? Your assumptions that women are "asking for it" because of what they wear is precisely why rape culture is such a problem in our society.
  • shrinkingletters
    edited April 2015
    Options

8bghcd68abs4.png

You know what I'm not gonna play this game, common sense people, I hate when girls wear low cut tops, and if they catch you looking your considered a pig, why is that?

Because you're a pig if you ogle strangers under the entitled belief that people-who can (and will) hapilly go their entire lives unaware of your existence-do/behave in ways to garner your attention.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    My honest opinion? It's completely fine to wear a mature skirt or dress, but I don't think women over 50 (or to be quite honest, over 20ish) should wear certain styles... like jean skirts. Those are really for tweens. I think it's more about the STYLE of the dress/skirt, but nothing wrong with showing a little leg in a classy way!

Don't listen to this. Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!