To all the ugly people!!

Options

Replies

• DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What the heck is wrong with your looks? You look like an average Joe to me. Cheer up man, your not what you think you are at all!!
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disagree but I think that is your bitterness speaking.

Instead of wallowing about the bad hand you think genetics has dealt you, smarten yourself up. Anyone can do that. If you are clean, well spoken, well dressed, stand straight and have a good hair cut you will be attractive. Those are the things women look for. Those things are completely under your control. I cannot emphasise enough how important those things are. If you radiate not giving a **** about yourself or your body, other people will feel the same.

That is really all there is to attractiveness, of either sex. Biology is a tiny tiny tiny aspect.

Hmmm, I remember someone saying something about putting lipstick on a pig a while back... What makes you believe that I've never had a haircut or worn a $2000 suit?

Besides, this thread isn't about that, though most people are making the same mistake you are. Some of them, a few.. do get it though, and this is for them, not you.

I am not assuming anything. I am just telling you what things make a guy attractive. If you want to be. Your posts, not just on this thread, but on all the others I have seen you post on come across as very bitter and self-deprecating about the hand you feel you've been dealt. I think it's a defence mechanism you put up in case people don't like you on the inside. I think that is extremely unlikely. The image you project to other people is entirely up to you.

And I have seen a post where you say you cross the street when you see some types of people... Yet there are numerous guys who dress the same as I do, have the same hair, yet are seen in an entirely different light. What you post sounds more like your personal preferences and prejudices than any form of governing truth. I know exactly what my insecurities are, and I know what my defense mechanisms are very well, after all, I do live with them on a daily basis. Do you know what yours are? Does it make you feel more secure in yourself to point it out in others, does it feed your own sense of superiority? Just a general question, I know there have been times in my life where I have done exactly that.

Aside from that, this is still not what the thread is about.

It's an expression. TBH there are no streets where I live so it's a non-point. If you want to celebrate your neuroses go ahead. You just sound like you are wallowing. As I already said, I was bullied for being ugly all the way through school, right up to 18. I had zero self esteem and I hated myself for it. I know where you are coming from, and I am more aware than most of my own insecurities.
    You are only hurting yourself, though.
    I sound harsh, perhaps, but I am actually trying to make you feel better about yourself. I hate pop psychology, but only you can change anything you don't like about yourself.

Now you have to specify that there are no streets, what are you really reaching for here exactly? What is it that you are really trying to prove? The more you speak the more you tell me that you really do not get it... Yet, you made the implication in another post that some types of people were incapable of any kind of meaningful communication with you, based on their looks... It's funny really, how many people begin the manifest the same attitudes of those they claim they fell prey to.

As I have said to you more than once now, none of this is what the thread was about, yet you have continued to try to make it otherwise. Why is that?
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to get out of the ugly duckling stage. I can count on 1 hand the number of people who have told me I'm beautiful and I honestly felt that way at that moment. 2 of them are my children :)

OP -- I think you are poetry. Not everyone is going to "get you" or "like you" or see how beautiful you are. And I honestly don't think that's what you are wanting anyhow. I wish we could live in a world where people are accepted for who they are and not what they look like. But we don't. We lift up beautiful people to sit on their pedestals while we forgive or ignore their faults, mistakes, and bad behavior. I think 90% of us buy into socially acceptable norms of beauty and make exceptions for "ugly" people when they "touch" us in some way. It's a shame so many of us faced abuse just because we didn't make the beauty grade. But I have to give kudos to you all for making it thru and doing what you can so YOU feel better about YOURSELF.

I don't think I've ever purposely been rude to someone based on their looks. I know I've kept the wall there -- and not put forth any meaningful effort to build a relationship. Mostly because I couldn't possibly imagine what they would want with me. I can honestly say I'm really suspicious of "attractive" people. I've always maintained that the best friends to have are overweight smokers. But that's experience turned prejudice.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're hideously ugly at all. Far from it. And I'm glad someone mentioned Jonathan Davis, it's been bugging me all through the thread who you reminded me of.

I've been bullied due to looks and/or weight at various times throughout my life. Has it bothered me? In some ways yes but in other ways no. For as long as I can remember I've had the attitude that I am who I am and if someone doesn't like it then it's their problem and I'm not going to waste my time and energy worrying about it. I've had people bark at me as I've walked past them, I've had people ask which ones the dog when I've been out walking my dog, I've been told that no guy will ever sleep with me, that I should have been drowned at birth and various other nasty things. However, as I got older I seem to have been blessed with enough confidence to just let it flow over me and not affect me for more than a few minutes (it bothered me much more when I was a small child than it did as a teen and as an adult). I have wonderful friends and family and a wonderful husband, they're the people whose opinion matters to me. Yes, there are times when I think I'm disgusting but I think most people have those moments regardless of how they look.

Have I ever been nasty to someone because of how they look? I don't think so but can't be 100% sure. I'm generally not a nasty person and looks don't mean a lot to me. I try to get to know people before judging them although sometimes I do make snap judgements, usually based on their behaviour when I first see them. Even then I try not to let it affect how I am with them until I know whether it was a true reflection of them or not. I'm chatty and friendly to the people serving me in shops coz that's just how I am, now I just hope they don't think I'm flirting in the hopes of a discount :noway:
  • ridiculyss
    ridiculyss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Some pretty, flirty people are really kind, too, though. :cry:

I vote we all practice the ethic of reciprocity and not judge books by their covers. Who's with me? :drinker:

I hear that!
    I'll be honest in thinking that I am at least a relatively attractive person. Maybe not the most beautiful supermodel, but I like how I look. What I like more about myself though, is that despite all the struggles I've gone through in life, I'm still a positive and happy person.

Honestly, I don't think you're ugly, Joe. Confidence is the most attractive thing for me, and while I might disagree with some of what you said, overall I'm proud that you can come out publicly and state your opinion.

My boyfriend of 1 year, who is entirely socially awkward, genius beyond his years, who is considered the ultimate stereotype of a geek, isn't necessarily what society might consider to be attractive. But I think he's honestly handsome. He doesn't let on that he cares what anyone else thinks of him, and treats EVERYBODY with the respect he demands, whether they deserve it or not. Despite his own struggles he's experienced through his life, he is as big of a gentleman as he knows how to be, which is what encouraged me to start dating him.

How attractive somebody is is in the eye of the beholder, and not everyone thinks the same of everybody else. There are people who, despite being attractive themselves, are not pompous about it, may not even be confident about it, and can embrace everybody with an equal amount of judgment. Those who can't aren't worth the frustration they dish out, and aren't worth anybody's contempt.

In my opinion, in treating people who use their beauty for rewards or benefits with less respect than the average person, you're actually sort of supporting them in their mindset of being a judgmental person. Treat others the way you want to be treated, Regardless of the way that they treat you. People in society these days seem to have lost in regards to morality. It's really unfortunate, but that's how some people are. Some were just raised to be that way. Some have suffered greatly and deem themselves better than others because of it. Truth is that we all suffer in life. What matters is the way that you deal with your experiences, and that you don't take out your contempt and discontentment about society out on those you encounter.

I respect your opinion, and I respect that you have grown in your experiences with less kind-natured, manipulative or just immature people. But in order to be considered a sincerely honorable person, I feel it's important to disregard their negligence or insolence (not entirely if they're people you know and correspond with regularly obviously; in that case it does need to be addressed, but not simply with being rude back. Expression of your dislike for their behavior is what will get them to realize it's not correct) and not let them get to you. I feel that through your actions you aren't actually being the bigger person. It's not up to you to teach people a lesson. Ultimately, they'll get what they deserve whether you step in or not.
  • jtsmou
    Options
    You're making the same mistake about this thread that many others have. For the most part, the people who it was meant for, got it.
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    I think that you're wrong about that. But okay.

If I interpreted correctly, this post was to provide strength and encouragement to those who experience rudeness from others based on their appearance. Pardon me if I'm wrong. Care to elaborate? Instead of calling people out who you consider mistaken, don't be so exclusive and ambiguous. If you're trying to make a statement, then by all means make it obvious. Personally, I'm alright with knowing other people's perspectives. I'd appreciate not being censored out.

Also, just because I may not necessarily be "ugly" as you seem to think you are, doesn't mean I haven't been on the receiving end of people's prejudice. I've been judged and called names directly to my face, assumptions made by people simply based on my appearance. Don't go off on the assumption that I don't know what you're talking about. How does the saying go?
    "When you assume, you make an *kitten* out of U and Me."
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    I can say there are SO many times where at first glance I might think someone is attractive, and soon, as I hear them or get to know them a little they quickly become physically unattractive to me if their personality is... distasteful to me. And not unattractive because I don't like what's on the inside - I mean I totally lose the sense of physical attraction for that person.

Likewise there are those that maybe didn't strike me right off the bat with stunning good looks, but after seeing something cool and respectable about their personality I can become very physically attracted to them. I really think it's a maturity thing, IMO.

SO true. Personality has killed some really attractive peoples looks really quickly for me. And I have become more and more attracted to my wonderful man every day I see him :)

I completely agree with this post :)
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    i was bullied throughout school for being ugly. Everyone was in on it. I was the kid it was uncool to like. As a result i am completely insecure about my looks and am plagued with body image issues and battle with eating disorders as a result - even when after leaving school i actually got attention from guys, and sometimes people even say im pretty, which i find embarrassing and dont know what to say, but still what was constantly constantly pushed on me throughout school sticks with me. Its such a horrible thing to feel ugly

You know, I've had a lot of the same, but I don't feel that way anymore. Only you can look at yourself and change the course because it's really not important what other people think, it's all about you. I do this trying to be the best person I can be and I feel 'beautiful' for doing it. If I do something 'wrong', I feel ugly, but if I know I'm really trying to be my finest self I can't help but appreciate it. Beauty vs. ugliness is all relative, it really IS what's on the inside that counts. I've met 'beautiful' people with ugly attitudes that suddenly became horrendous... I mean I actually started seeing every flaw. Then I've met others whose defects disappeared after a short conversation. :flowerforyou:

Amen to that one as well. :)

It really is all about how you see yourself. If who you are makes you happy and you act admirably towards others, then who's to try and change you? Kudos. :)
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    I would like to reply to this by saying...... I wonder what YOU think of me when you look at my profile picture. Do you say to yourself that she is pretty? Or cute..... or whatever it is you say when you find a girl attractive. Well, maybe you do or maybe you don't which is none the matter. My point here is that I, ME, don't think I'm attractive at all...... I feel very ugly about my appearance when I look in the mirror. I see a young girl who was badly abused as a child, neglected and tormented. I see a girl who took that hatred and projected it on others as a teenage to try and deal with her afflictions. I see a girl who will carry scars for life and who's heart is damaged by pain caused by others. So please before you judge anyone on solely on their appearance which you are saying has been done to you, could you please consider what that person may feel and think about themselves. I am very overwhelmed when I post a new picture of myself on my profile and receive a lot of compliments from people on my friends list.... which in turn makes me want to run and hide by putting up some other avatar. I am trying to learn to accept a compliment but in my mind I tell myself they are just being kind and trying to encourage me. So really my point here is you just never really know what's going on with another person and their thoughts and feelings on the inside no matter what their external package may convey to you. Yes I find other people's external appearance attractive as much as the next person however I have grown to learn that beauty is really only skin deep as they say and I have the ability to see their souls...... their hearts, their light that shines from with in and that's how I'm able to see their true beauty. How someone interacts with others is a true reflection of their beauty as well so to me that IS SEXY, BEAUTIFUL, UNIQUE, HANDSOME and another word you'd care to use.
    So I'd like to send you a friends request because I SEE your true beauty...... I hope you'll accept. Fesse xo

I know I keep posting quotes, but people truly are eloquent in what they say. :) I feel that that's ^^^ really well stated.
  • jtsmou
    Options

If I interpreted correctly, this post was to provide strength and encouragement to those who experience rudeness from others based on their appearance. Pardon me if I'm wrong. Care to elaborate? Instead of calling people out who you consider mistaken, don't be so exclusive and ambiguous. If you're trying to make a statement, then by all means make it obvious. Personally, I'm alright with knowing other people's perspectives. I'd appreciate not being censored out.

If you know this, then why focus on me and a comment that was intended as humor even in a subject that can be as dark as this? At the very least I believe that most of the people got that I was joking about charging people double. It's more of an expression of what some of us are going to feel on the inside in reaction to how we are treated than how we are going to deal with things in reality. Not all people who experience this on a daily basis are going to have the skills for dealing with it by simply taking the high road and turning the other cheek. It's a nice thought, and I realize that people mean well but most of us will withdraw deeper into the shadows and continue to let it eat away at us ever so more. What that statement means in that you don't have to just stand there and take it as so many would have us do. This is a personal journey for each one of us and there is no universal application that will simply fix it according to how one would like to think, or like us to think. Making those kinds of presumptions is only going to further alienate many of the people I would be reaching out to.

It's really easy to say it's all about how you see your "self" but believe it or not that perspective on things is a little out of reach for a lot of people dealing with these situations, besides, we already hear those same lines just about everywhere we try to turn for help. See, there are a great number who will not seek help out of fear of the reaction they will receive, and they can only base this on what they already experience at the hands of others. Words are often hollow, and I also know that enough have been through every self help book imaginable yet still find themselves in the same situation after reading each one.

You can keep repeating it over and over, "Treat others how you want to be treated" and with your average person that will ring true at least some of the time, but for a lot of us those words become hollow in the face of the reality we live with every day because most of us ARE nice to others, and we do treat others how we want to be treated, but that only goes so far, and our sense of how we perceive the outside world is going to be somewhat distorted from how others perceive it. Most of us also understand that which is why more of us don't speak up. Our morals come into question, our sense of honor, our distorted sense of the world, and we are told we are wrong we shouldn't think that way because others don't agree with it, don't like it, it makes them uncomfortable. I'm not going to do that to them...
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    This is for us, the ugly, the awkward, the freaks and the geeks. This is for every guy who hears the utterance of "Eww" every time he walks into a room. This is for the wall flowers, and girls who are ignored. All the guys perpetually stuck in the "friend" zone. All the ladies who are ignored by the sales staff at any given store when some pretty girl walks in. This is for the everyone who has been laughed at, sneered at, or called a creep while just trying to be friendly with maybe a distant hope of possible friendship resting in our eyes.

It's the inside that matters.... yet we are told that the "pretty" people are smarter ( http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3354410/Study-reveals-good-looking-people-are-also-the-cleverest.html ) , they are coddled and given attention over us from a young age, ( http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/Careers/07/08/looks/ ) and indoctrinated with a sense of superiority. Hmmmm anyone see a problem that seems to manifest between those studies? Hmmm, I remember my teachers telling me I was stupid and telling the other kids not to be like me... What does the media beat into our heads aside from the fact that if you don't have some kind of exceptional talent, or loads of money, you're pretty much screwed?

So what drives this idea that it's what's on the inside that matters? Oh, I would agree that many people have a line that if you cross no matter how pretty you are, they will begin to distance themselves, but are you going to tell me that pretty people don't for the most part get away with being nasty individuals?

It's not about weight at all either, dropping more weight doesn't have anything more to do with my confidence now than it did 10 years ago. Those here that know something about me know that I was a professional fighter for years, I was in shape, and either way, nothing has really changed other than my lack of mobility from the injuries I have managed to sustain.

But it's what's inside... You mean that fire within you, the sense of passion that beats in your chest and reverberates through your core, that something that shines through you and radiates out touching everything around you?

I don't have that, if I ever did it was ripped out of me... For me, there is just this sense of impending emptiness that consumes me a little more each time I open my eyes. I am nothing, I am nobody, I am the 3 day storm that flooded your garden of slow heart beats and drums, I am mortality and inches from sin.....

Can you all honestly tell me that you have never treated someone differently than you would have another based on their looks? Don't forget that I have seen some of your convos in the status updates, you remember, the one where the gross guy tried talking to you, and you either ignored him, or along with the support of a friend you started mocking him... Look deep within yourself, because if I can admit that I have, then I will know truth when I hear it. Afraid it will hurt your image in such an image conscious society? Fear is the boundary of truth, and we often lie, even to ourselves if it will appease our own sense of fear.

It is terribly wrong that people are raised and praised and given a sense of entitlement. I feel that to do that is ignorant and immoral. I certainly wasn't raised to feel like I was better than everyone else. I have always been and to this day still am, the awkward, shy, "she doesn't ever talk to anyone", the scrawny chick that nobody ever really talks to, that nobody seems to take notice of or if they do they don't show it. I've been called a loser to my face whilst joking along with my best friend. I've been threatened by my own family members and harassed by strangers.

Yes, I admit to placing judgments on other people as well, but only based off of what I can tell from their behavior, or if they seem to dress more obnoxiously than is considered typical (ie, people who clearly fake tan, bleach and spike their hair unnecessarily because they think they need to or because they consider themselves better than others. or if they just generally dress like they'd screw for money.). I've been known to judge people who have unnecessarily damaged their appearance with plastic surgery. I feel that the fact they've done that to themselves proves that they care too much about what others think, or think that in order to look desirable, in order to be sexy they have to do that. It shows that they don't love themselves enough and because of that they feel they need to appeal more to what they believe looks good to society. I admit to profiling people. And I know I've been subjected to it as well. We've all done it. It's practically human nature to do so. Whether it's public or private, pick your poison. We're all exposed to the stereotyping around us. I'm sure we've all done it at some point. I'm certainly guilty, and sometimes my parents can be pretty blatant about their racism (which I loathe when they express it out loud. It isn't right.). We're all a bunch of monkeys. Just have different skin and bones and genders and jargon.

My best friends are a bunch of outcasts. I am an outcast. And while I wish people would get it better, they don't and they may not ever. Just because we look different (we're not all particularly attractive, although I think my friends are beautiful, more because I know them as actual PEOPLE. not superficial objects.), we tend to either stick out oddly or not be noticed at all. One is very thin, one is not as feminine in appearance, one is pasty white with ears that are a different shape and stick out and has an air of being a bit on the gay side, despite that he's straight. We've all been taunted and we're all insecure in one way or another. My boyfriend is 6'2" and 145 pounds (rail thin) dresses differently (in the way many might associate with being socially inept), and talks like a geek more often than not. We continue to keep our heads held high and hope that people don't misjudge who we are. We're all relatively happy and all relatively (or more than) insecure. I hope that people don't think I'm some pratty, spoiled, little skinny *****, or that there's something mentally wrong with me because I just don't go out of my way to talk to people. I have ADHD and it's plagued me my whole life, prevented me from succeeding in school because I can't get a handle on it. Because of it I have in turn come to be exceedingly reserved and terribly insecure about myself in social situations. People don't usually talk to me and it's very upsetting sometimes. I sometimes will hide my nicer bag from view if that's what I've got with me. I don't want people to write me off as a rich snob, because I know otherwise.

If a person is of the caliber that they won't judge me, that they'll get to know me, they're not closed-minded to the fact that I'm a wallflower, socially awkward, weird in general, then I will happily show them that despite how much of a kook I can be, I am loyal to a fault, and as open and understanding as they need me to be.

I feel that people need to be less judgmental, less hurtful, more positive in how they act or speak to others. Don't drag us down because we talk weird, look weird, act weird, etc etc. If I give you a reason to judge our character, then go right ahead. Until then though, they need to dig a bit deeper than the skin.

While we all can wish for this sort of change in society, for people to quit being so shallow and moronic, see the true depth of those around us, even those who we might consider ugly, it may not happen. In any case, stick to those who are true and faithful and caring of you. They're the ones in life that make it worth living, and they're the only ones you need to worry about keeping happy (alongside yourself). :heart:
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    hi I am kevin. I am ugly!
  • Manolapurple12
    Manolapurple12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I TRY to remember to treat everyone kinder than necessary. Everyone is fighting their own battle.

Some days I am not fat, I'm just fluffy :)
  • ridiculyss
    Options

If you know this, then why focus on me and a comment that was intended as humor even in a subject that can be as dark as this? At the very least I believe that most of the people got that I was joking about charging people double. It's more of an expression of what some of us are going to feel on the inside in reaction to how we are treated than how we are going to deal with things in reality. Not all people who experience this on a daily basis are going to have the skills for dealing with it by simply taking the high road and turning the other cheek. It's a nice thought, and I realize that people mean well but most of us will withdraw deeper into the shadows and continue to let it eat away at us ever so more. What that statement means in that you don't have to just stand there and take it as so many would have us do. This is a personal journey for each one of us and there is no universal application that will simply fix it according to how one would like to think, or like us to think. Making those kinds of presumptions is only going to further alienate many of the people I would be reaching out to.

It's really easy to say it's all about how you see your "self" but believe it or not that perspective on things is a little out of reach for a lot of people dealing with these situations, besides, we already hear those same lines just about everywhere we try to turn for help. See, there are a great number who will not seek help out of fear of the reaction they will receive, and they can only base this on what they already experience at the hands of others. Words are often hollow, and I also know that enough have been through every self help book imaginable yet still find themselves in the same situation after reading each one.

You can keep repeating it over and over, "Treat others how you want to be treated" and with your average person that will ring true at least some of the time, but for a lot of us those words become hollow in the face of the reality we live with every day because most of us ARE nice to others, and we do treat others how we want to be treated, but that only goes so far, and our sense of how we perceive the outside world is going to be somewhat distorted from how others perceive it. Most of us also understand that which is why more of us don't speak up. Our morals come into question, our sense of honor, our distorted sense of the world, and we are told we are wrong we shouldn't think that way because others don't agree with it, don't like it, it makes them uncomfortable. I'm not going to do that to them...

To be honest I hadn't realized it was merely an expression. I admit to being a little bit oblivious to some things that are said in sarcasm.

And I do see now where you're coming from. Thank you for clarifying.
  • ridiculyss
    Options
    And just so you know, I'd be all for fighting zombies on your side.

..... If I wasn't one myself. :devil: BRAIIINNNSSSS!!!! omnomnomnomnom!:tongue:

:flowerforyou:
  • jtsmou
    Options

It is terribly wrong that people are raised and praised and given a sense of entitlement. I feel that to do that is ignorant and immoral. I certainly wasn't raised to feel like I was better than everyone else. I have always been and to this day still am, the awkward, shy, "she doesn't ever talk to anyone", the scrawny chick that nobody ever really talks to, that nobody seems to take notice of or if they do they don't show it. I've been called a loser to my face whilst joking along with my best friend. I've been threatened by my own family members and harassed by strangers.

I am half Japanese and Half German, and from as far back as I can remember nobody ever let me forget I was different. My white/German relatives called my ugly, said I wasn't wanted among them, directed slurs at me any time any of them spoke directly to me, my cousins weren't allowed to play with me yet we all lived in the same housing complex. The Japanese side told me I was not one of them, I was an abomination and I shouldn't exist. This as far back as 3 years old. And I remember my uncle picking me up by my hair and telling me he would kill me if he thought he could get away with it, he then threw me to the ground and spit on me.

No, it didn't stop there
  • ridiculyss
    Options

I am half Japanese and Half German, and from as far back as I can remember nobody ever let me forget I was different. My white/German relatives called my ugly, said I wasn't wanted among them, directed slurs at me any time any of them spoke directly to me, my cousins weren't allowed to play with me yet we all lived in the same housing complex. The Japanese side told me I was not one of them, I was an abomination and I shouldn't exist. This as far back as 3 years old. And I remember my uncle picking me up by my hair and telling me he would kill me if he thought he could get away with it, he then threw me to the ground and spit on me.

No, it didn't stop there

That is vile and cruel. I'm sorry that you've endured so much torment by the hands of your own family. That is honestly horrible.
    My boyfriend grew up being physically and emotionally abused by his parents, despite that he was always respectful and responsible. While that among other things has made him bitter and he can be resentful at times about it, I'm proud that he's managed to accept the past and has grown above his experiences. It seems that you have too, or that you at least acknowledge the horrible things done to you and don't hide or hold anything back regarding it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I am half Japanese and Half German, and from as far back as I can remember nobody ever let me forget I was different.

Can I ask: do you live in a small community or a big city? Here in London that would be considered a very attractive combination. In fact studies have shown that British people perceive mixed race people favourably, considering them to be more attractive and successful:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1265949/Mixed-race-people-attractive-finds-British-study.html

(ok, I know it's the Daily Mail but cut me some slack here....)

I guess this leads us to the conclusion that beauty never has been an objective thing. It is mainly subjective but can also be driven by environment. For example what is considered as beautiful in say Papa New Guinea may not be so in New York. Therefore if someone calls you ugly that is simply a statement of opinion, not fact. Personally, I tend to disregard or ignore the opinion of idiots.

It seems also true that some people use beauty to enforce a status quo that is in their favour. Beauty is used as a weapon to ensure that the social pecking order remains in place and they, the beautiful, remain at the top. However, this structure only has power over the individual buys into it. If people do not then it crumbles.

I wonder if some people have an aversion to others they perceive as different as they feel it threatens where they fit in that pecking order. It can be argued that mixed race people benefit from heterosis / heterozygote advantage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

I guess if you currently have something working in your favour you do not like others that you perceive can take that away...
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh man -- I am having flash backs from high school. You know -- cliqueville. In my school we had -- beautiful, athletic, smart, goth, and stoners. And then there was me -- or at least it felt that way. Just not quite enough of anything to fit into any one of the groups.

So I'll admit -- i didn't "get" the post. I didn't pass the cool "zombie humor" test. Which is fine lol. I guess it's a "Zombie Thang" and I just don't understand.

But don't worry guys -- while they're nomnomnom'ing on my chunky butt -- you all should have plenty of time to get away.