The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lol brilliant thread... I wish I could go OMG do these people really live. But like you guys I work with these type of idiots
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Pisces diet: Fish, water, and magic.

Does that mean as a Scorpio, I can only eat scorpions? Damn.

I don't have a job but I'm at uni. My uni friend (who is very overweight) insisted that if you eat under 2000 calories your body will go into 'starvation mode' and you won't lose weight. When I tried to correct her and tell her that actually as someone only around 5'1 who doesn't exercise, 2000 calories isn't right for her, another friend chimed in with 'it's different for everyone! My sister is very short and doesn't eat much but she's big, so I keep telling her to eat more and she'll lose weight!' This friend is also very overweight. When I cited studies that have been done to disclaim starvation mode, they said 'but there are just as many studies stating that it's real!' Uh. No. There really aren't. I'd be worried if I were doing a biology degree but thankfully it's only creative writing ;)

No, as a scorpio that means you only eat on blood moons, you spend the time between them harvesting.

Nope, Scorpio is close to my Cancer diet, you can only eat things you have crushed to death with your nails, except Scorpios can also eat stuff they've stung - I'm pretty jelly.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers asked me if I foamed rolled and I said that I did. He began telling me that foam rolling made your muscles longer. I may have had a semi-angry outburst about it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    *shows up covered in horrible lacerations*

Water your cats, they said. It will get rid of dumb coworkers, they said.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    One of my co-workers asked me if I foamed rolled and I said that I did. He began telling me that foam rolling made your muscles longer. I may have had a semi-angry outburst about it.

Could you please go back and ask him how they fit after they get longer? Do they coil up like a snake, or do they hang down like Christmas garland?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Could you please go back and ask him how they fit after they get longer? Do they coil up like a snake, or do they hang down like Christmas garland?

I second this request. Can you please ask them? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I once heard never stick with one diet more that a month so one's body doesn't have time to adapt to the diet.

I thought the blood type diet was a Transylvania thing, or is that just eating certain blood types.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Blood type + Astrology = I should eat lots of lots of seafood (AB blood type and cancer (crabs are both seafood and eat seafood), but apparently no cured or smoked meats. I have mixed feelings on this fish is all right but no bacon and bbq of any sort not so happy with. Wait that means no smoked salmon, never mind no likey.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ha, I looked the blood type diet up just cause I was curious - and a type O is not allowed to have bacon - so I wouldn't have even entertained this diet.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

Because I am done doing dishes so stay out of my kitchen. I hate waking up to dirty dishes in the sink!!!

• Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am nearly in tears with the stupidity and I'm just on the first page! I don't know if I can go on!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So much bro-science in our office. In the last week I've heard:-
    * not eating carbs after midday (two doing this one)
    * Garcinia Cambogia..... enough said
    * Detoxing... oy
    * Gluten-free...for weight loss

Plus multiple instances of people who "just can't lose weight". While stuffing their faces at morning coffee shouts.

Funnily enough the sportspeople in the office say nothing and just keep doing what they're doing.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I think you actually get taller.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

I think you actually get taller.

Dammit. My foam roller is being delivered this week, and I already have a hard time finding tall jeans.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, how had I never looked into the blood type diet. It's like the next best thing to a zodiac diet (up for this, btw).

[quotes]

So hilarious.

I'm a Virgo - it would be like, "Is your steak perfectly medium-rare? If not, throw it away and try again. Repeat until all food is perfect, only then may you eat".
    It matters if you are an earth, fire or water sign and what elements you are low in. ;)

I'm a sagittarius so I only eat what I hunt and kill with my own teeth and also I can only drink wine.

What about people like me who are born on a cusp? Does that mean I can use both Scorpio and Sag diets as I see fit?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just did a little sloothing to see if I could find the "blood type diet" how it would relate to me. Type A's they say to become vegetarian. Seriously. No. Other than making me miserable, what on earth would that solve?

As a fellow type A, I disapprove as well.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One of my co-workers is a crash dieter. When he's on his diet he eats 1100 calories a day and does 40 minutes of cardio daily. He told me that he realized to be a normal weight he would have to do this every day for the rest of his life. His sister, who I also work with, lectures me on eating after dinner. Any carbs I eat after dinner will turn RIGHT TO FAT (wide eyes for emphasis). They like to tell me I won't keep losing weight if I continue to eat as I have been. I just smile and nod.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I almost want to stay late at work to read all these, but got a family to go home to so bumping for a good laugh first thing in the morning.

I did have some one tell me banannas will make me fat, I looked at him and said you know what will make you fat, he gave me a funny look, and then I said when you eat more calories than you burn throughout the day. He walked away.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Maybe this could be of some assistance?

how-to-even-for-dummies.jpg

Thank you, that REALLY made me laugh!