The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Speaking of weird things... Neil De Grasse Tyson posted on Twitter that you can burn 1200 calories a month if you drink ice cold water, because of the extra calories that your body uses to put it back to body temperature.

Hmm. Always thought it was broscience, but that dude typically knows what he's talking about.

It's true, but obviously 1200 in a month is not exactly a lot. 1 Calorie to heat 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius.

But you do realize that there's going to be a whole new diet trend now, right? The, "I don't need to eat less or modify my diet, I can just drink gallons of ice water!" diet

But at 1200 calories a month it would take 3 months to lose a pound, if you are eating perfectly at maintenance.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our infamous High Level bridge.
    high-level-bridge-and-lrt.jpg

I've never seen it not covered in snow lol. I moved from Edmonton
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

I would have thought it was eating how your sign eats too. I therefore choose to be a herbivorous fish.
    I'm a Leo. A very, very confused Leo.
    By one methodology I should be eating Lions? Or cats? Ew. Also, that might make grocery shopping difficult.
    By another methodology I should be eating what lions or cats eat.
    It is imperative to me that someone clarify this. Or maybe I should just stick with eating for my blood type?

I think you're just looking for an easy out, because you're too lazy to run down a Zebra and bite it's azz.

ETA: Having said that, I'm a Libra and here in Australia Libra is the leading brand of feminine hygeine products, so maybe I should just keep my fool mouth shut.

omg funny!
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One day someone told that me that if you eat while sitting down, food automatically turns to fat. Food can only be digested if you eat while standing up (cause you know, gravity). I just nodded. Also, your metabolism shuts down after a certain time and doesn't come back on until exactly 6am. Same person. lol

There was someone who posted a couple of months back whose friends had told her that if she walked around whilst eating she would burn twice the calories of whatever it was. Sadly she was asking if it was true.

ETA, the post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10113308/walking-and-eating-burns-more-calories

So, let me get this straight:

I can easily lose even more weight just by moving to a locale below sea level; conversely, eating on a plane is a sure-fire recipe for obesity.
  • crazygrandma1963
    crazygrandma1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our infamous High Level bridge.
    high-level-bridge-and-lrt.jpg

I've never seen it not covered in snow lol. I moved from Edmonton
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

I would have thought it was eating how your sign eats too. I therefore choose to be a herbivorous fish.
    I'm a Leo. A very, very confused Leo.
    By one methodology I should be eating Lions? Or cats? Ew. Also, that might make grocery shopping difficult.
    By another methodology I should be eating what lions or cats eat.
    It is imperative to me that someone clarify this. Or maybe I should just stick with eating for my blood type?

As a fellow Leo, I prefer to think that I would eat the same way a lion eats. But that would mean eating the raw organs (stomachs, livers and kidneys are preferred delicacies) of animals, and I'm a vegetarian. HMMMM . . .

7Bpv1bF.gif

• crazygrandma1963
    crazygrandma1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?

LOL no.

I don't understand the "science" behind this. Our sense of smell is tied to our sense of taste and smell triggers the urge to eat: http://dwb.unl.edu/teacher/nsf/C10/C10Links/ericir.syr.edu/Projects/Newton/11/tstesmll.html (peer-reviewed).
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Here, I made an astrology dietary restrictions for y'all:

Aries: Can only eat food they've won in a street fight.
    Taurus: Can only eat animal proteins from animals that do not exceed 35mph at full speed.
    Gemini: Can only eat food scavenged from self-help group craft tables.
    Cancer: Can only eat food from neglected cans and boxes in the back of the very top shelf in the kitchen.
    Leo: Can only eat foods that can be arranged into a self-portrait.
    Virgo: Can only eat foods that can slide easily through the chute under the door.
    Libra: Can only eat foods that compliment their accessories.
    Scorpio: Can only eat foods that can hold their own in a staring match.
    Sagittarius: Can only eat foods from countries they cannot pronounce.
    Capricorn: Can only eat foods that their employer agrees to write off as a tax deduction.
    Aquarius: Can only eat foods that make it through their teleportation device without fusing to a nasty housefly.
    Pisces: Can only eat foods that remind them of that time their mother forgot to pick them up from soccer practice.

I would starve to death on this diet - I'm a Cancer and short. I can't reach the top shelves in the kitchen, my kitchen stool got appropriated for use in tree trimming and I have been banned from climbing on the counters after dislocating my shoulder falling off the counter (in my defense, the cat had a hand in that).

But my idiot co-worker saw me eating cheesecake and told me I should never eat carbs or sugar again or I would put all the weight I lost back on right away. Really? I'm going to gain 125+ lbs overnight from ONE piece of cheesecake?
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Taurus: Can only eat animal proteins from animals that do not exceed 35mph at full speed.
    Cancer: Can only eat food from neglected cans and boxes in the back of the very top shelf in the kitchen.
    Virgo: Can only eat foods that can slide easily through the chute under the door.
    Capricorn: Can only eat foods that their employer agrees to write off as a tax deduction.
    Aquarius: Can only eat foods that make it through their teleportation device without fusing to a nasty housefly.
    Pisces: Can only eat foods that remind them of that time their mother forgot to pick them up from soccer practice.

I would starve to death on this diet - I'm a Cancer and short. I can't reach the top shelves in the kitchen, my kitchen stool got appropriated for use in tree trimming and I have been banned from climbing on the counters after dislocating my shoulder falling off the counter (in my defense, the cat had a hand in that).

But my idiot co-worker saw me eating cheesecake and told me I should never eat carbs or sugar again or I would put all the weight I lost back on right away. Really? I'm going to gain 125+ lbs overnight from ONE piece of cheesecake?
    You could, if you don't exercise portion control.
    Worlds-Largest-Cheese-cake.jpg
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I dunno, I've seen some pretty freakin' dense cheesecake before.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Too funny - I love cheesecake but not that much!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?

I don't know about this, but I have found that I can derive a certain amount of satisfaction from watching other people eat foods I'm choosing not to.
    Fair warning: people find this creepy.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    LOL, I have an opened Snickers egg on my desk, because for some reason last night just smelling it was enough for me.

I had also decided that a nice Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider was more along the lines of where I wanted to spend those last couple hundred calories of the day. :)
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

You would have to watch a movie called Gemlins to truly understand. It's a documentary about what happens if you eat after 10pm. I've been careful ever since. ;)

Also the reason you can't exercise, because sweat=water.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Speaking of weird things... Neil De Grasse Tyson posted on Twitter that you can burn 1200 calories a month if you drink ice cold water, because of the extra calories that your body uses to put it back to body temperature.

Hmm. Always thought it was broscience, but that dude typically knows what he's talking about.

That's only 40 calories a day. I burn that twirling my hair.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I found out today that a lady I work with thinks that the reason I eat cottage cheese and hot sauce for breakfast every morning is because it speeds up my metabolism and that's why I'm losing weight. She's now eating hot sauce on a bunch of stuff.

I eat cottage cheese and hot sauce for breakfast because I like cottage cheese and hot sauce.

OMG, you genius. I never thought to put hot sauce on my cottage cheese, but I am so doing it. I already have cottage cheese and chopped veggies logged. I'll be adding the hot sauce as soon as I post this.

• CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    This thread used to be fun. Now we're arguing with some guy who doesn't even know how IIFYM works.

Quick: who has a co-worker who has said something stupid about food lately?

(Mine are being generally sensible, darn them!)

I don't have any. I did see someone recommend this on fb today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1899171592?ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&qid=1430278934&sr=1-1&keywords=kristen leigh bell&pldnSite=1

Okay, is this where I fess up to how I have actually purchased an odorless (to humans) stress reducing scent thing for one of my cats, who also happens to be a stress eater. From PetCo, though. It wasn't due to the eating, but a brief and relatively mild stint with psychogenic alopecia (only just learned the name for it).

(Don't judge!)

(Or do, fair game in this thread.)

;-)

HA my cat had this! Turns out my old downstairs neighbor must have been stressing her out (he was awful) cause once I moved in with my boyfriend, all of her beautiful fur returned. As much as I enjoyed that cute pink belly. ha ha
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm a Scorpio but I don't like that diet, do you think I can eat for my rising sign instead?

I get told all the time all I have to do is cut out the carbs and I'll lose weight. In fact, weight will just fall off, they'll tell me. I say, "I can't do that, I like fruit too much" and they say, "no, I don't mean those kind of carbs"

I bet everyone here knows the list of foods that gets named off to me.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »

Gemini should be "Can eat everything in doubles" since it's the twin sign.

Yes, but then they wouldn't be dietary restrictions.

Figured the self-help groups would appeal to a gemini's joy of "free" anything. I'm being fair.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    My cube neighbor mentioned eliminating all carbs from her diet. I tried explaining that it's an important macronutrient and that carbs are not the devil. I cannot be too harsh on her though; I subscribed to the same philosophy as her at one point in my life.

Lots of people eliminate carbs; that doesn't qualify as "broscience".

Eliminate? No veggies, fruits, grains, sugar?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals...

I did the equivalent to that (pizza and diet coke, say--never liked Big Macs), because I like diet coke more than coke and can't see wasting calories on a soda. Spending calories on a pizza, that I can see.

Fair enough. I have a buddy who will order Molson 67 to save the 60 calories per beer (because he's watching his weight, you know) even though he doesn't really like it, but has no problem shoveling through a platter-sized plate of nachos with lord knows how many calories in it. That, I can't understand.

I've pretty much stopped drinking beer at all at this point, because I like crafty beers, can't stand any of that light, low-carb crap that passes for beer for many people. I'd rather not drink at all than sub in that stuff, and these days if I do drink, it's hard liquor and soda.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

So I haven't eaten any cheetahs or gazelles lately. . . that must be why I'm losing weight . . . .