Thinking about Alli.. Any success stories out there?

Replies

• cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    I have tried it and Xenical.
    I don't have any full on horror stories but I have a few near misses. Oh... and you can't fart. Ever. If you do and you are not on a toilet... it's 50/50 whether its good or bad. Plus the oily substance that comes out stinks and I mean really bad.
    Like you need a shower as it's the only way you can remove the smell from your body.

So then you end up eating next to no fat which of course reduces calories by default.
    The product works by fear. Because your worst fears can come true in a very public way by taking it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AmerTunsi wrote: »
    Alli is supposed to help train you not to eat too much fat in your diet, and the negative side effects are essentially your consequence for doing so. It is similar in concept to some medications that are given to alcoholics that will make them violently ill and throwing up if they consume alcohol. If you stay within the recommended fat you won't have the issues. However, you should know that Alli was purchased by another company, went off the market, and recently re-introduced and the new formula is a bit different; the new company has not confirmed the changes. Also, be aware that you shouldn't stay on Alli for the long term, it is really a short term solution. It does work, and it simply works because it prevents your body from absorbing a lot of the fat that you normally would have - since fat has the most calories compared to other macro-molecules, you obviously aren't retaining those calories and are able to have an easier deficit. It will seem like it doesn't work if you don't end up having a caloric deficit, but in reality it is just preventing gains, so you still need to achieve a caloric deficit to see an actual loss.

Considering dietary fat is essential for your body, not sure why anyone would want to train themselves to not eat fat...

Definitely! !!

What about excess everything else????

Exactly. Only works if fat is the only thing putting you over on cals.

God, imagine not being able to eat anything with more than 3g of fat in it???
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Anal Leakage Level: Insane
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited April 2015
    My best friends husband took it. He literally pooped his pants and had to wear her jacket around his waist until they made it home. He was humiliated but we got a pretty great laugh out of it.. But I mean, if you don't mind being the person who crapped their pants in public, it's all for you! lol

(He was wearing khakis....)
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    my wife tried this stuff once.... It wasn't pleasant.
    Someone took Alli's side effects and listed them with an annotated "layman's understanding"
    It, sadly, is pretty accurate.
    So, I'd recommend reading this: Alli's Side Effects before considering this drug.
    On a positive note, if you never ever ever want to consume a minute amount of fat ever again - then Alli will help cure you of that really fast.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I would kill to lose over 2lbs a week. You're doing exceptionally well @jhs4bama79 . You don't need a pants pooping pill! :smiley:

^This!^
    I'm lucky if I manage .5 loss per week! You're doing great OP! No need to mess with things if they're working well! Your rate of loss is super! Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    jhs4bama79 wrote: »
    I have seen some horror stories on similar blogs, and yikes!! It is scary. But the only allure for me is its the only FDA appd weight loss drug out there. But the unfortunate "side effect" is the only thing that has kept me from purchasing it. Just wanted to see if anyone had real life stories that have actually taken it to see if it is or isn't as bad as I've heard. TIA!!

To avoid the side effect at all costs...don't eat anything with fat in it. Then the drug won't have any fat to "block." It's a waste of money to buy a drug, and then modify your behavior to prevent the drug from doing it's job.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have seen some horror stories on similar blogs, and yikes!! It is scary. But the only allure for me is its the only FDA appd weight loss drug out there. But the unfortunate "side effect" is the only thing that has kept me from purchasing it. Just wanted to see if anyone had real life stories that have actually taken it to see if it is or isn't as bad as I've heard. TIA!!

To avoid the side effect at all costs...don't eat anything with fat in it. Then the drug won't have any fat to "block." It's a waste of money to buy a drug, and then modify your behavior to prevent the drug from doing it's job.

It depends. If using it for a few months helps you to permanently modify your eating habits, then the drug did what it was supposed to. It is difficult to change eating habits. If fear of negative side effects helps somebody to do that, that could be a good thing. You just need to understand what the drug does and not take it if you are not ready to modify your behavior.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears are delicious, a hell of a lot cheaper than Alli, and have the very same side effects.

Just sayin'.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Well there's a "cleanse" mfp can get behind >:)

I wouldn't want to be behind in this case...
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    I have tried it, when I was young and well, ... lazy.
    Everything the others have said is exactly true. I used it for ONE day! And was so horrified by the 'experience' where I had to literally hold a chair to my *kitten* and take myself fully clothed to the shower that I stopped using it immediately and didn't leave the house until I knew it was all out of my system! I will never forget the sheer disgust of trying to wash that orange oil off of my skin...and my dining chair! (Which amazingly survived our shower together) . To add to this, my husband likes to tell people about this as some hilarious story. Hence why I don't mind sharing this information hahaha.

Anyway, my advice don't go there.
    Ps. I also started on 5th jan and I'm down 32# and over the moon! You've done great just keep going! :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

It depends. If using it for a few months helps you to permanently modify your eating habits, then the drug did what it was supposed to. It is difficult to change eating habits. If fear of negative side effects helps somebody to do that, that could be a good thing. You just need to understand what the drug does and not take it if you are not ready to modify your behavior.

But - a non fat diet is a terrible idea unless you have a medical condition that requires low fat.

Dietary fat is not the enemy.
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    edited April 2015
    look. when i tried to lose weight at the age of 19, at 254 lbs., i tried this crap. i'm insulin resistant with a terrible pancreas and i have pcos.

i tried alli, i tried hydroxycut, i tried garcinia cambogia.

your body is the only thing you can use to lose weight and keep it off.

don't try weight loss supplements. most people who do end up putting all the weight back on because they didn't learn anything from it; they shoved pills into their mouth and kept their bad relationship with food while still losing weight.

exercise and a healthy diet disciplines you. swallowing pills teaches you nothing.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    This thread is hilarious. Carry on.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    36lbs in 4 months and thats not enough.....

Part of the thing I get impressed by some peoples weight loss, is its been done intelligently based on a healthy diet supplemented by exercise.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I had a very close friend who used it and lost more than 100 lbs in a month.

Every time we made plans to hang out, I'd be stuck holding down our brunch table by myself, or browsing for men's athletic shoes at the store beside the alley where the mall bathrooms were, or chilling at a picnic table outside the concert venue.

She'd be making repeated trips to the restroom or port-a-john.

I finally got tired of waiting around on her greasy bowels and asked if we could not make plans while she was on the medicine. She got pissed at my "lack of support" and told me to lose her number.

She was instantly 109 lbs and one iPhone contact lighter. So... I guess it works?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I sincerely hope OP is still reading this.

And if she has decided to try Alli I want a full report of it effectiveness pictures :bigsmile:

FTFY
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    cheezels83 wrote: »
    I have tried it and Xenical.
    I don't have any full on horror stories but I have a few near misses. Oh... and you can't fart. Ever. If you do and you are not on a toilet... it's 50/50 whether its good or bad. Plus the oily substance that comes out stinks and I mean really bad.

I fart way too much so this wouldn't work! I remember briefly considering Alli when it first made it mainstream. Just to try it out; I only had a few pounds to lose. The horror stories quickly changed my mind.

Also, I remember those olestra chips coming out so many years ago. I never tried them because of the side effects but remember they were a big deal at the time. Do they still exist or were they pulled?

As for OP - your rate of loss sounds fantastic but if you want to give Alli a try then go for it. I support experimentation. Just be prepared for surprises.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    My coworker and I tried it... It was on sale. I was lazy and wanted a quick fix. Don't judge me... ANYWAY... We spent most of our work days in the bathroom. We worked in a nursing home kitchen, so we ate whatever was on for that day. Being a nursing home that received government funds, we had to abide by certain nutritional standards, low sodium, low fat, boring food. Even low fat nursing home food sent us running to the bathroom. We lost weight the first two weeks. The first week we ate normally and almost crapped ourselves every hour. The second week, we just stopped eating everything that wasn't plain fruit or vegetables for fear of leakage. After those two weeks, we were starving and sick of spending so much time in the bathroom, so we stopped taking it. After we stopped taking it, we gained most of the weight back. Eventually, we got local gym memberships and did things the right way.

DON'T DO IT. Spend your money on a gym membership or workout dvds or planting a vegetable garden, ANYTHING BUT ALLI!