"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I had one of my professors in grad school tell me I was too skinny and men like women with curves.

1. I don't give a rat's *kitten* what "men" like

2. Umm.. you're my professor. You shouldn't be looking at me like that, anyway. Ewww
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Chances are people who say this are overweight themselves.

Yeah, that's what I've noticed. Their perspective is skewed.

I got that once, and was irked. I said, "Nah, you don't know what you're talking about." Person was not in good shape.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    I had a dude at the Walgreens I frequent a lot ask me if I was starving myself. I just told him I had been lifting weights and went on my merry way.

Didn't bother me much because a few weeks later, a person I've never spoken to before at my gym came up to me and told me I should look into fitness competitions because I'm doing fantastic and that he was a judge in one coming up! So that made my day! :-)
  • dawgyah
    dawgyah Posts: 1 Member
    I got it last year after a 30lb weight loss. I maintained for a year now am working on that last 5. I'm getting snarky remarks again although this time around they are saying them with comments that leave an opening for me to respond which I do with encouragement. People who feel the need to make "too skinny comments" generally just feel bad about themselves. After they get used to it they want to know what you are doing. I'm 5'5" and 128lbs.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I had one of my professors in grad school tell me I was too skinny and men like women with curves.

2. Umm.. you're my professor. You shouldn't be looking at me like that, anyway. Ewww

Don't you just love it when people think they speak for half the population?
  • sgwolf0414
    sgwolf0414 Posts: 8 Member
    I've lost about 55kg or 120 pounds over the last year, still have 5 to 10kg to go. Met up with a friend recently who I hadn't seen me for a few months she said I looked ill had lost too much weight and needed to have a cake - because I was almost as thin as her....the irony of her comment totally passed her by! I don't think she was being unkind as I've been pretty huge all my adult life and people think that is "normal" for me. Generally though I've had more positive than negative comments. People don't believe I'm not starving myself whereas I eat huge amounts, probably far more than they do due to the high level of exercise I have taken up in order to not just lose weight but increase my health and fitness.
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    arahn777 wrote: »
    Since the fall of 2013, I went from 180lbs to 125lbs (female, 5'6") and have been maintaining at 125 (+/- 2lbs) for the past 6 months. As time goes on, I have gotten more and more serious about exercise and specifically running. I really enjoy seeing where my body can take me and it's motivating to break my personal records and times while running.

My situation sounds almost identical to yours. I started at 174 and got to 122 at my lowest. I felt happy with my body shape for the first time in my life and wasn't planning on losing any more weight, just did what you did - got into running! Anyway, a few of my friends (who were the same size at me at my biggest) turned on me a bit with the 'you look like your wasting away' comments. At 8 stone 10 for 5"4 I was in my perfect BMI range and still had a bit of a flabby stomach, I did not look too skinny in the slightest. But what did it make me to? It made me get complacent and I put a stone of it back on. Now, 6 months later, I can't shift it for the life of me, and are so angry at those people who made those comments. All I would say is DONT lose track of your goal - it's called a 'personal goal' for a reason - screw what everyone else thinks!!!x
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    People generally got more accepting as my weight loss slowed and finally levelled out at maintenance. But when the loss was more rapid (2lbs/week) at the start I was getting alarmist comments from friends, colleagues and family even though I was still obese! People take time to adjust. For some it's just perception: then and now = big difference, eek, change, scary! For others it's more about them and their own insecurities and in 99% of cases they won't even realise this, it'll be subconscious.

I saw a friend recently who I haven't seen for some time. There were lots of skinny minnie comments and at one point she called me a stick insect. I asked her to stop. I said that, to me, those comments are just the other side of the coin from calling me fat. To her, with her own insecurities and weight issues, I genuinely think she was being complimentary. But, as I pointed out, I don't want to be skinny, I want to be strong and healthy and fast!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    To honest I'd rather be told I'm too skinny than too fat!

I agree 100% and if someone tells me I'm to skinny I'll them to F-off

• Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member

He maybe shouldn't have talked to you that way, but of course everyone looks...they cant help it. People are responsible for what they say, but not what they think.....
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Ignore them is the best solution. I was told I should lose weight for the past 7 years and when I did lose the weight 60 lbs now I get comments of you are too skinny, eat more dont starve yourself you look sick when in fact I eat more than most of those people do. I guess to some whatever you do is never good enough so why listen to negative people. I would rather be called skinny than fat because i feel more confident now
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    I haven't read all 7 pages so apologize if this has been covered already but....

I've been getting this from my mother a lot, and just this weekend my dad jumped on the bandwagon. It was interesting - I had a sudden realization that hadn't ever occurred to me before: they have absolutely no idea what a healthy or fit person looks like. They simply cannot comprehend the difference between "too skinny" and healthy. And unfortunately it reflects in their own weight, as both of them are dramatically overweight. That moment of enlightenment has allowed me to totally brush off their "too skinny" comments.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    An old fella at church just pulled me aside on Sunday to apologize for saying something months ago that I didn't even remember...something about how a strong wind could blow me away. Thing is...he is just a funny old guy with a funny old wife and they make funny old dad type jokes all the time and I know they don't actually mean it to be serious...and they'd be the first ones to say "good for you" to whatever I decide to do, so he totally didn't need to apologize. Then there are the people who whisper amongst themselves that I must be anorexic....at 5'6" and 140 pounds....ummmm......I don't think so. lol
  • amyegillespie
    amyegillespie Posts: 18 Member
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    "So the anorexic look is in this year huh?" said my sister when she saw me a few months ago. That hurt...I am not gonna lie. I now know that her statement said more about her than me. She is not happy with herself so she attacked me. I still get rude comments and I have been told that since I lost weight I have become too sensitive. My come back now is "have I done something to upset you?" This catches everyone off guard and all of sudden everyone wants to make nice. LOL

Love this response!! I, too, hear the, "You're just melting away," "You don't want to be any smaller, right?" I'm 5'9" and 151lbs -- healthy! I lost one hundred pounds -- so they're used to how I looked before. It can be so frustrating because I'm actually trying to gain muscle -- definitely not "melt away" whatever the heck that is or be any smaller. I eat right (and plenty!) and exercise because it makes me feel good. I agree with everyone else that people's words are often a reflection of their own issues. People tend to want to see you do well, but often times not better than them, ya know? You sound like you are super healthy and fit. Proud of you!! Keep hustling exactly how you see fit! :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    I had a sudden realization that hadn't ever occurred to me before: they have absolutely no idea what a healthy or fit person looks like. They simply cannot comprehend the difference between "too skinny" and healthy. And unfortunately it reflects in their own weight, as both of them are dramatically overweight.

Really good. There are a bunch of articles out there about obesity having a big social component, and spreads like an infectious disease. The gist being, peoples' standards & perceptions tend to hover around the average of their peer group. A healthy-weight person, who spends time with fatter people (friends, coworkers, etc.), often will tend to increase their weight to match.

This happens for all sorts of things.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    I have gone from an obese 194lb to 142lb. People keep telling me I am so thin, too skinny, etc on a daily basis (not my family). Yesterday, a neighbour said "Do you actually eat anything?" and another man (who I work for) said "when are you going to stop?". I am 5'7" and built like a barn door. The only thing I can think of is that they have only known me as a big person and the contrast seems wrong to them. It's amazing how rude it is though, to comment uninvited on someone's body - someone who you only know vaguely.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    I am *so thankful* for this thread and everyone telling their stories! A few years ago, when I was getting super-fit, a couple who I thought were bestest-friends told me "You look sickly" and as other have said, it totally set me back. Now, I'm *so close* to my goal, we're still friends with this couple and this same subject came up. When the female in the couple said "Well, you don't want to look sickly again, right?" I straight-up told her, "That's the look I'm going for! When I hit that Air Force expectation of 109 (it's not written on my profile, but really, that's where the AF told me I needed to be) *then* I can go to the VA (Veterans Affairs) and to the doctor and say "HERE is what "the standards" say I should look like!" As long as I look good to me, to heck with the world. I'll never be as small as my sister (5' even, 90lbs on a very good day.)

My husband, bless his heart, said "When you go back to eating normal..." and I stopped him *right there*. I said "What makes you think I want to go back to that?!" We ate horribly, too much of the worst types of stuff. I feel *so much better* eating what folks call "clean" (or 'cleaner') but yeah, I can eat what everyone else does, just a whole lot less of it. I love walking, in that I go by myself and listen to nature.

If I lose "friends" because I'm healthy and they can't deal with it, then so be it...they aren't the friends I need in my life then.

Here's to each of us, on our individual journeys...making the most of this life!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    I have gone from an obese 194lb to 142lb. People keep telling me I am so thin, too skinny, etc on a daily basis (not my family). Yesterday, a neighbour said "Do you actually eat anything?" and another man (who I work for) said "when are you going to stop?". I am 5'7" and built like a barn door. The only thing I can think of is that they have only known me as a big person and the contrast seems wrong to them. It's amazing how rude it is though, to comment uninvited on someone's body - someone who you only know vaguely.

haha...i'd whip out the "shall we go talk to Human Resources and see how they feel about one employee giving unsolicited comments on another's body?"

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member

It's extremely rude! And I almost find it worse when they think they're being complimentary. Once again, yesterday I got the "but you're going to slow down after your race, right?" Umm no. I'm going to train like animal for the next race, and the next one. "But I don't want you to lose anymore weight, ok?" No. Not ok. You just dismissed my goals and objectives while projecting your own preferences *about MY body* onto me. On what planet is that cool?

• snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    sun_fish wrote: »
    When people say they are concerned about my health, I want to ask them why they weren't concerned about me when I was obese.

^^^^ This!