Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »
    I'm actually a little confused about whether or not it is a private or public school after reading it again. The teacher refers to it as a a public school, and the news spoke to the public schools spokeswoman, but they also say that it is a private pre-school...

The preschool my son goes to is inside a public school, but the pre-school itself is a private co-op. The school system itself doesn't run preschool. Maybe it's something similar to that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it."

Uhm double starch is a healthier option is it?

This silliness has happened in Canada too, due to a quirk in the Canada Food Guide. Potatoes are ranked with vegetables instead of breads.

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    This should be titled: Mother was politely informed of private school policy.

I don't agree with the policy because I don't think an occasional cookie is unhealthy. However, they have a right to set the policy and this is not shaming.

Was it clarified that this was written policy and the mother ignored it? I haven't seen in any of the articles or heard in the comments what exactly the school's policy on packed lunches is outside of the ridiculous note they sent home with the cookies.

This paragraph is from another article on this story
    Questions over the note remain. The director of Children's Academy said she's investigating the note, adding that it should not have gone out to any parent. The director said it is not school policy to tell parents what children can or can't eat for lunch.

So it does not sound like this is school policy.

I really hope that's true.. If it really is a school policy, it is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed to exist. Can schools just go making up whatever policies they want, no matter how far over the edge they are?

If it isn't a policy, I hope the teacher gets fired.. but she probably has tenure and nothing will be done. Wouldn't be surprised.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This isn't a new thing... I went to elementary school 25+ years ago and junk food was banned. No junk food, chips, chocolate bars, candy, soda, etc... allowed for lunch. It was weird, because chocolate covered granola bars were allowed, but regular chocolate bars were not. You could also bring Twinkies-type cream filled cakes and fruit roll ups. But the 'hard stuff' was banned. No one really questioned it. I don't get this whole 'Muh rights!' argument.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Absurd. It's not the school's job to tell parents what they can feed their kids. And now I want oreos. Badly. Like, enough to even go buy them. Thank you Aurora schools.

42856b6cfcfb176340f9495df8ae25bc.jpg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Similar Canadian story; day care fined parent $10. The potato was deemed another "vegetable" to the child was also given Ritz crackers to supplement.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mother-fined-10-for-packing-unbalanced-lunch-for-children-1.1551163
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    My wife used to work at a preschool and more than a few parents would only send things like Oreos or a few graham crackers, often because they were ignorant of basic nutrition. Also, young kids are notorious for eating their cookies first and then being "too full" to eat the rest of their lunch. While I don't agree with the school's policy, I can understand why it's in place. There is a childhood obesity epidemic in this country and as every MFPer knows, the problem is about 80%-90% diet related. Although sugary snacks like Oreos are perfectly legal and are a choice, they are being banned for the same reason you can't smoke perfectly legal cigarettes on school grounds.

I find it highly unlikely that most parents are sending in ONLY cookies for their kids lunch. Maybe a few, but that's not going to be the norm. I'm not ignorant of nutrition and my kids regularly bring Oreos (or homemade cookies) in their packed lunches. One of my kids is lactose intolerant and Oreos are dairy free. Cookies are not bad as part of a balanced diet, which my kids have. My kids also eat the fruit I send in the lunches because they also like fruit. It is possible for kids (and adults) to enjoy things like cookies AND fruit and veggies, and include both of them into a healthy diet.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Whilst no one should shame a parent we should as a society start to see the growing problem of children's health.
    For me an Oreo or cake or chocolate bar should be a treat for a child not an everyday normal part of lunch.
    If all schools agreed to the same there should be no issues. Children will do what the grown ups tell them to. If the teacher says no sweet things and all the parents abide by it children will eat the sandwich or whatever they are given.
    I actually wish only water was drunk at school not fruit juices.
    We have to get tougher for the sake of our children.
    As a parent we should not run out of a piece of fruit or a carrot.
    The parents who put Oreos etc into their children's lunch packs are making it hard for every other parent to try and make healthy lunches as children will always complain they haven't got it. That's why I wish schools would ban sugary foods completely.

My 14 year old takes a sandwich, fruit and/or cheese with water every day for lunch. She also takes a couple (2) cookies if she wants sometimes she does sometimes she does not. If that makes your job as a parent harder then you have more problems. My daughter's friends wear $100 jeans and $100 shoes, mine does not. I don't allow those parenting choices to make mine harder or affect our household. We simply do not spent that type of money on jeans or shoes. Mine will also not drive a Lexus or brand new car when she turns 16, others parents give those types of cars to their kids, again mine knows she will get a good affordable used car to drive until she can buy herself the car of her dreams. Why do you allow what goes on in my house to influence your kids so much. Also when you live in my single parent household working full time and raising my kids you get to tell me what I should and should not run out of...how's the view from your perfect parent pedestal? BTW her friends are all "dating" and she is not, don't care what goes on in the neighbors house has no affect on what goes on in ours.

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Similar Canadian story; day care fined parent $10. The potato was deemed another "vegetable" to the child was also given Ritz crackers to supplement.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mother-fined-10-for-packing-unbalanced-lunch-for-children-1.1551163

That's seriously insane.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Well I'm going to be judgy here and agree that it wasn't a healthy lunch, especially for a toddler. Not instilling good nutrition habits (and mom is obviously overweight) and dealing with toddlers after sugar rush ....not fun. But is it for the school to scold the parent...no.

Other than the oreos what part of the lunch was unhealthy?

Even the Oreos aren't unhealthy if the rest of the child's diet fulfills her nutritional needs.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if this were my toddler, she would fill up on the Oreos first. Since she doesn't eat much at one sitting, it's possible that she wouldn't touch the sandwich or cheese. So no, her nutritional needs would not be met if all three things were put in front of her.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Ugh. Seriously, this makes me question whether I even want to have kids. If this happened to me, I would flip my shiz, and probably pull my kid from the school, to be honest. This nanny state crap has gone way too far.

I'm in the same boat, if I do have kids I'll have to seriously consider other avenues for education. If I want to give my child Oreos then I'm going to. Why does someone else get to tell me what's healthy or unhealthy? If they don't want to eat Oreos that's their choice, but they don't have the right to force others to follow along.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the time my children were in later elementary, they were making their own lunches and were deep in to serious trading with their friends. I am sure this would not be allowed today due to food allergies. Anyways, my son would pack five oranges and then work trades with the boy with a major addiction to oranges and then with the Baker's children (who were dead bored with fresh baked goods).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Well I'm going to be judgy here and agree that it wasn't a healthy lunch, especially for a toddler. Not instilling good nutrition habits (and mom is obviously overweight) and dealing with toddlers after sugar rush ....not fun. But is it for the school to scold the parent...no.

Other than the oreos what part of the lunch was unhealthy?

Even the Oreos aren't unhealthy if the rest of the child's diet fulfills her nutritional needs.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if this were my toddler, she would fill up on the Oreos first. Since she doesn't eat much at one sitting, it's possible that she wouldn't touch the sandwich or cheese. So no, her nutritional needs would not be met if all three things were put in front of her.

So what's your point? The mother in this story obviously wasn't concerned about that particular issue. Just because it wouldn't work with your kid, doesn't mean it won't work for others.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    My wife used to work at a preschool and more than a few parents would only send things like Oreos or a few graham crackers, often because they were ignorant of basic nutrition. Also, young kids are notorious for eating their cookies first and then being "too full" to eat the rest of their lunch. While I don't agree with the school's policy, I can understand why it's in place. There is a childhood obesity epidemic in this country and as every MFPer knows, the problem is about 80%-90% diet related. Although sugary snacks like Oreos are perfectly legal and are a choice, they are being banned for the same reason you can't smoke perfectly legal cigarettes on school grounds.

I find it highly unlikely that most parents are sending in ONLY cookies for their kids lunch. Maybe a few, but that's not going to be the norm.

Yes, you'd be surprised. Some of the students were part of a program to help children from low income families get
    into preschool. There were a lot of issues with basic parenting skills: what to feed you kids, how to clothe them properly for the weather, basic hygiene, making sure your child gets enough sleep to be ready for school, etc. A lot of the parents were single teen moms, barely beyond childhood themselves when they became mothers. Obesity was a common issue with the parents which is usually a good predictor of how the kids will turn out.

I'm not ignorant of nutrition and my kids regularly bring Oreos (or homemade cookies) in their packed lunches. One of my kids is lactose intolerant and Oreos are dairy free. Cookies are not bad as part of a balanced diet, which my kids have. My kids also eat the fruit I send in the lunches because they also like fruit. It is possible for kids (and adults) to enjoy things like cookies AND fruit and veggies, and include both of them into a healthy diet.

A lot of things that are acceptable at home or in public are not acceptable at school. Usually this is because somebody will inevitably take advantage of a lack of rules in one area and exploit it. Kids, especially young kids, are easily distracted by this so schools make stricter rules so that the staff can focus on education instead of all the distractions. What you are allowed to wear, say, do, and yes, even eat all end up being regulated much more than at home.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    You know what I'm getting out of this thread? That oreos are getting all the love.

What about, chips ahoy, huh? Or milanos? Or nutter butters? Or nilla wafers?!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My guess is this is just a teacher gone rogue...media grabs a hold of it and it's all of a sudden a big deal and must be happening everywhere when in reality this is just some isolated event with some whacked out teacher in Aurora.

Everyone un-bunch your panties...
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    So many things wrong with this article. First of all, the mother wasn't "shamed". The note was respectful and simply stated that the cookies were against the school's policy. The cookies were returned to the mother and the kid could have eaten them at home.
    That being said, what in heaven's name is wrong with a couple of cookies? Granted, I don't eat them and most of us here probably don't, but that's because of a choice we made to lose weight. Nowhere does it mention that this kid was overweight. The lunch was a healthy lunch and there should be nothing wrong with a desert.
    Oh, and what's the deal with the potato and bread?