Cheese

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    eat an ounce or two a day. Mostly when ppl say processed, they mean gluey low quality "pasteurized processed cheese food product" rather than good quality cheddar, gouda, edam, etc.

yea, but the "good quality" stuff is still processed…so OP is eating processed cheese. Or, am I missing something…?

why only an ounce or two?

I know all cheese is processed; I meant low quality... thanks

I like the cheeses you are referring to as low quality. Mac and cheese made with velveeta is pretty amazing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    eat an ounce or two a day. Mostly when ppl say processed, they mean gluey low quality "pasteurized processed cheese food product" rather than good quality cheddar, gouda, edam, etc.

yea, but the "good quality" stuff is still processed…so OP is eating processed cheese. Or, am I missing something…?

I like the cheeses you are referring to as low quality. Mac and cheese made with velveeta is pretty amazing.

A slice or two of Kraft melting on my burger is awesome. I find lots of quality in it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

A slice or two of Kraft melting on my burger is awesome. I find lots of quality in it.

Bears repeating - canned Easy Cheese on Pringles.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Bears repeating - canned Easy Cheese on Pringles.
    I'm doing it on Saturday. Will report back.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I never eat processed cheeses, but love fancy and aged cheeses (Whole Foods cheese counter is my weakness). I also love cottage, ricotta and fresh mozzarella.

I eat cheese in very modest amounts because of the mixed reviews I've heard on cheese consumption.

What are YOUR thoughts on cheese in the diet?

I think if it fits your calories and you like it then you should eat cheese.
    I love cheese. I don't eat as much as I used to but I still eat it regularly.
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Personally, not the biggest fan of cheese. The only times I can tolerate it is when it's hot and melted, say in a cheese fondue or "raclette", another Swiss specialty. I don't even like it in burgers, so.... yeah. I'll just leave it to all you cheese lovers out there.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I could NEVER give up my cheese. Ever. It is how I get most of my dairy, because I am not a huge fan of milk. I also refuse to switch to low fat cheese. It will always be full fat cheese for me and I will just adjust my portion size and other calories as necessary.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was completely shocked when I weighed cheese for the first time and realised that so little adds up to so much. I was eating one heck of a lot of cheese and had no idea that it was as calorific as it was. I try not to snack on it as much now as I would rather eat a bigger portion of something else for the same calories. If I have it I have a little in a salad or something. When I can get a grip on my eating and my weight is significantly less than now, then I might budget a little more for it. Right now, it doesn't give me enough bang for my calorie buck.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bio_fit wrote: »
    what the hell would be wrong with cheese?

and what is "processed cheese"? Isn't all cheese processed????

Cheese itself is processed milk - but I see where you're coming from :)

Processed cheese is where cheese is taken and additional ingredients are added to make a cheese product - for example, Kraft singles and Dairylea.

but you could not make cheese without processing, right?

Of course. But the resulting product (i.e. cheese) is processed milk, not processed cheese. Cheese itself is processed from milk. The term 'processed' is used to describe products where the base ingredient (in this case, cheese) has been blended with additional ingredients. So processed milk = cheese. Processed cheese = Kraft singles. Processed grapes = wine. Processed wine... oh god, I don't even want to think about that :D

As I said, I see where you are coming from and why you might consider it that way, but in this case it's the wrong way of using it. It is perfectly acceptable to say that all cheese is processed. But 'processed cheese' is a specific term. English is an *kitten* of a language :s

so all cheese is processed, right?

Yes, all cheese is processed from milk. But 'processed cheese' is specific terminology with refers to the post-processing product. i.e. Cheese that has had things added.

it is a simple question.

is all cheese processed yes or no???

you seem to be saying yes,but you keep wanting to add a but …

Yes. all cheese is processed.

But not all cheese is 'processed cheese'. That is a specific term that refers to a product where additional ingredients are added to cheese.

The OP was discussing 'processed cheese' and people were struggling with the terminology. I hoped this explanation has helped.

good, so OP eats cheese that has been processed; even though she thinks she does not.

and how do you make any cheese without adding an ingredient to it?????

Correct, she eats cheese that has been processed. But, given the phrasing of her post, I suspect she does not eat 'processed cheese' (description above).

You don't - you add the ingredients to the milk. Then you get cheese.

so then by your own definition of processed cheese being things with "ingredients added" then all cheese is processed, right?

How to up your post count: start a semantic argument on Every. Single. Thread.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Processed cheese is where cheese is taken and additional ingredients are added to make a cheese product - for example, Kraft singles and Dairylea.

Of course. But the resulting product (i.e. cheese) is processed milk, not processed cheese. Cheese itself is processed from milk. The term 'processed' is used to describe products where the base ingredient (in this case, cheese) has been blended with additional ingredients. So processed milk = cheese. Processed cheese = Kraft singles. Processed grapes = wine. Processed wine... oh god, I don't even want to think about that :D

As I said, I see where you are coming from and why you might consider it that way, but in this case it's the wrong way of using it. It is perfectly acceptable to say that all cheese is processed. But 'processed cheese' is a specific term. English is an *kitten* of a language :s

Yes, all cheese is processed from milk. But 'processed cheese' is specific terminology with refers to the post-processing product. i.e. Cheese that has had things added.

it is a simple question.

But not all cheese is 'processed cheese'. That is a specific term that refers to a product where additional ingredients are added to cheese.

The OP was discussing 'processed cheese' and people were struggling with the terminology. I hoped this explanation has helped.

good, so OP eats cheese that has been processed; even though she thinks she does not.

Correct, she eats cheese that has been processed. But, given the phrasing of her post, I suspect she does not eat 'processed cheese' (description above).

so then by your own definition of processed cheese being things with "ingredients added" then all cheese is processed, right?

Oh, snap!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

it is a simple question.

hang around here for five years, and you can get your post count up too ..

maybe one day you can play with the big boys.

I was simply pointing out that when OP says "she avoids processed cheese" she is not, because she eats cheese, which is processed.

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I love good cheese, but man... I have a sick sick fondness for cheese in a can.

On ritz crackers ^^^

Try it on Sour Cream & Onion Pringles. Heaven!!

OMG YES I'm glad I am not the only one who does that!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my second-favorite food. I have some every single day. Heavily processed or basically rotten milk, bright orange or soft white, I do not care at all.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Moderation for me, because of diabetes (it causes sugar spikes). I love me some cheese though, just about any kind, I will eat several ounces of port salute as a snack if left for my own devices.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mmmm cheese, I love cheese. Except "plastic cheese"... Which I think is what I call what the OP calls processed cheese.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Love me some good cheese!